Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:33:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319709 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  age-old JRPG problem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: age-old JRPG problem  (Read 3728 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 03:25:24 PM »

Blue Dragon hard mode got pretty bullshit after a while
All Japanese MMORPGs have grinding
Etrian Odyssey maybe
Dark Cloud

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »

You still need to grind, regardless of whether or not you do the Item World. You will never be able to just do one map once, and then move onto the next one. You will need to play the same map 3 or 4 times to get the necessary levels and magic skills to tackle the later ones.

There were times I ground, but I know it definitely was not like that before I decided to go all out and break the game. Maybe it got worse later on? And Demon's Souls? Grinding? Maybe a different type of grind, in that you try to figure out a stage and get as far as I can, but from what I played (admittedly just getting halfway through World 1 and clearing World 2) I didn't need to grind in the traditional RPG sense.

It's worth considering how many games really have grinding as the only alternative anyway. Can you explore more, and thus get into battles to deal with levels? Take quests to get some EXP or at least have a goal beyond 'get a higher level' for fighting monsters? Dragon Quests like IV and V would arguably need grinding to advance, but usually at those points you can explore other parts of the world, so even if you can't do anything there yet you'll know where to find towns, maybe get some decent equipment, or even have a point to easily go to once you learn Zoom and thus save searching for the place again later on. Only needed to grind once in IV to get a bit more money for a weapon, and that only took about 5 to 10 minutes, while DQV only became a problem right at the end of the game with the final boss. Similarly, you could always fill out your map in Etrian Odyssey, and in the case of 3 you can explore the sea to get more money and thus pay for equipment to help deal with monsters kicking your ass.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »

Then don't "grind" and play the game as a hard mode. :P

I remember fucken hating FFX for that sometimes.  The game was hard... but you grind a little (or go further in sphere board since it's pretty easy to level up) and you're walking on sunshine.

I've always appreciated tri-Ace for those difficulty spikes that more often that not required mastering the battle system than level up an obscene amount.  I call them an underrated developer for that.

Another tip for people: stop playing Dragon Quest, it sucks, it's classic RPG charm wears off fast! xP

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »

The only place I remember having to grind like crazy in FFX was before the Seymore fight on Mt. Gagazet. Though the save points also fully healing you came in handy for that.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »

I never had to grind in FFX.  I'm also pretty sure I played through the whole game without dying a single time.  That game was difficult how exactly?

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »

I never had to grind in FFX.  I'm also pretty sure I played through the whole game without dying a single time.  That game was difficult how exactly?

The Snow Mountain Mega Seymour boss fucked me up the first time I fought him
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »

Glad I wasn't the only one then

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »

Haha, I actually skipped over your post too. Awesome.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »

I never had to grind in FFX.  I'm also pretty sure I played through the whole game without dying a single time.  That game was difficult how exactly?

Haha, I actually skipped over your post too. Awesome.

Had some problems with him, but Yunalesca was a way bigger bitch =/
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »

Yeah, you're right, but I don't think any amount of grinding would have helped you with her. You just gotta be pretty fucking lucky half the time, keeping at least one member in zombie, so when she uses Megadeath (Or Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, whatever the spell was called) on you, you can phoenix down like crazy.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »

Another tip for people: stop playing Dragon Quest, it sucks, it's classic RPG charm wears off fast! xP

No, it doesn't. I'm playing DQV right now and I love it.  I've also never had to grind once in the game. The only time I purposely got into battles was if I was trying to recruit a new monster.

"Oh, a hunter..."
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »

Actually now that I think about it, Riviera required a fair amount of grinding to learn skills, which were pretty much mandatory if you wanted to complete the game.

My point still stands though - JRPG generally do not require frequent mandatory grinding to beat the game.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »

I would probably still have that problem now without action replay.
it let me use kimahri's spirit lance as a shield for tidus.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »

No, it doesn't. I'm playing DQV right now and I love it.  I've also never had to grind once in the game. The only time I purposely got into battles was if I was trying to recruit a new monster.

This about twelve times.  I had more quality game time in DQ8 + 9 then I've had in most of the non-SMT RPG's I've played in the last 4-5 years.  Anyone who just writes off DQ as "just a bunch of silly oldschool RPG conventions" is selling the series short.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »

Dragon Quest is one of the few series that doesn't suck from Square Enix in my opinion.

Not a surprise to me though. How the mighty have fallen so hard, keep making remakes of your old glory.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:21:25 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: