Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:35:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332865 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Why isn't the DS getting more RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Why isn't the DS getting more RPGs  (Read 4465 times)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »

F***

You opened up a can of bad memories right there.

@Thoren

The grass is slightly greener...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »

I'm more on the bandwagon for "where are the [good] PS3 and X360 RPGs?"  

Really? I mean, the answer is obvious to that question: Questionable playerbases and an high development cost. I would prefer to ask "Where are the RPGs on the Wii" but the Nintendo-only stigma seems to stink up the console regardless of how many tens of millions of systems they sell. Shit, even the RPGs Nintendo help fund/develop might not even come over here.

Edit: For the record I have a DS but not a PSP, so this may be the feeling of "Grass is Greener" :P

Eh.  Either way.  I want more high-powered RPGs that expose the power of the system - I'm done with hand helds, it's been done.  Final Fantasy XIII may be shit, but I loved looking at it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 11:16:22 PM »

I'm more on the bandwagon for "where are the [good] PS3 and X360 RPGs?"  

Really? I mean, the answer is obvious to that question: Questionable playerbases and an high development cost. I would prefer to ask "Where are the RPGs on the Wii" but the Nintendo-only stigma seems to stink up the console regardless of how many tens of millions of systems they sell. Shit, even the RPGs Nintendo help fund/develop might not even come over here.

Edit: For the record I have a DS but not a PSP, so this may be the feeling of "Grass is Greener" :P

Eh.  Either way.  I want more high-powered RPGs that expose the power of the system - I'm done with hand helds, it's been done.  Final Fantasy XIII may be shit, but I loved looking at it.

Oh I totally agree. If they could only combine a good game with those kind of visuals. The Potential of JRPGs and technology has really fallen out of sync. This is the era of jaw dropping immersion and spectacular worlds, so much untapped potential!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »

Hopefully Catherine starts a new trend of crazy jrpgs w/ nice visuals.

Has there been any gameplay footage of that yet?
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 11:58:31 PM »

It's all about budget.
Developing for PS3 is too costly to spend on things like story when graphics are already costing you both arms.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but try and explain to a CEO why a good script makes him more money when thousands are buying FF13.
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 01:24:58 AM »

Hopefully Catherine starts a new trend of crazy jrpgs w/ nice visuals.

Has there been any gameplay footage of that yet?
It isn't an RPG, most of the footage were pre-recorded.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:57 AM »

It isn't an RPG, most of the footage were pre-recorded.

It's true that it's not an RPG, but they certainly have shown in-engine scenes.  They were still in-engine cutscenes, not really gameplay, but there's a pretty obvious visual difference between those scenes and the full-blown anime scenes.  The game does looks nice, though.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 01:58:52 AM »

You know what looks amazing? Those god damn dating/idol sims for the Xbox 360 in Japan. The cel shading is incredible, it's like anime man.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 02:05:45 AM »

It's all about budget.
Developing for PS3 is too costly to spend on things like story when graphics are already costing you both arms.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but try and explain to a CEO why a good script makes him more money when thousands are buying FF13.

I hate the budget issue.  What good is a pretty game if it sucks?
...huh, funny, I think we're running a circular argument.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 03:07:21 AM »

I think one issue, which I suppose is somewhat valid, is that alot of companies get ripped on if they dont make their games the hottest looking thing out there.  I mean im sure you could still make a good looking current gen game without the money spent on something like FFXIII, but then everyone would bitch that its not nice enough..or something..I dunno I think we have become to graphic obsessed in some ways but *shrug*. 

Plus, for the DS, haven't we missed a decent amount of pretty good RPGs?  Like the saga remakes, 7th dragon or something like that, a few others...not positive about that, but I enjoy my DS, though I can understand some peoples dislike of handhelds.

I guess im just happy for what I can get, cause there is little i can do to make them make more except buying the stuff they are willing to put out that I enjoy...*shrug*

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 03:31:45 AM »

We've talked about this before but also remember that high-end Japanese games are usually terribly mid budgeted.

Shit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 03:45:17 AM »

I mean im sure you could still make a good looking current gen game without the money spent on something like FFXIII, but then everyone would bitch that its not nice enough..or something..I dunno I think we have become to graphic obsessed in some ways but *shrug*.

You think? Have you seen the comparison threads and videos for multiplatform games this gen? That kind of info is very helpful for some people.

But is still annoying seeing big games with technicals problems sometimes. Also, now that think about it, it's also kinda stupid this obsesion with good looking games... oh well.

I didn't know that Deus Ex and BioShock were shitty games.
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 04:15:50 AM »

I just realized that with Valkyria Chronicles going to PSP again, Project Dark not ready yet, I don't have any choice. So yes, i feel bad now ):
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »

Wait, what?! Why isn't the DS getting more RPGs? The DS probably has the most RPGs of any system at the moment!

Although admittedly, the PSP has a lot of RPGs as well. If you're any sort of JRPG fan, you owe it to yourself to pick up both systems.

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »

I always thougt the DS would be the perfect console for tactics style RPGs. I thought it was strange to see things like SMT Devil Survivor having VERY limited touch screen support, or FF Tactics (the remake, not the childish spinoff) going to the PSP. Even the Disgea port plays better with the D pad than the touch screen. What a missed opportunity.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: