Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 03:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327135 Posts in 13390 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I Made A Game: Dr. Coffin's Cursed Maze
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I Made A Game: Dr. Coffin's Cursed Maze  (Read 895 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:57:40 PM »

So I've been fooling around with OHRRPGCE (an old school RPG engine written in basic that's been around for 20 years) and created this game: Dr. Coffin's Cursed Maze.

You control a lost soul wandering in a diabolic afterlife realm. Keeping you from moving to the eternity where you below is an evil God named Dr. Coffin. You've got to wander Dr. Coffin's labyrinthine domain, gaining power to eventually confront him.

I did all the graphics myself (obviously) and even edited some of the font characters. It runs in Windows. If you feel like playing it or and giving me feedback or looking at some screen shots, you can go here: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3838

Thanks for your interest!
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »

Excellent.  I loved your text RPG, so I'm definitely checking this out.  Also, the graphics don't contrast with each other, so their ghettoness is fine.  Seeing hand drawn artwork in RPGmaker games irks me, because it's too obvious.  Or, I'm just old and nostalgia wins.

edit: nah, the vein walls in the very first scene are great.

edit2: This is awesome.  Your graphics are awesome... what is this, roguelike MUD for the JRPG fan?  All it needs is sound.  Bravo.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:10:24 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »

Fei:

Thanks man. Like last time, if you notice any balance problems, typos, bugs, etc., notify me. There is a text file with the game that explains some of the less obvious mechanics.

Which reminds me, I haven't been around here in a little bit. What have you been working on?

I might work on some sound eventually. I have a little experience writing music and could figure out some sound effects. I'm imagining annoying discordant music.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:30:16 PM by Willy Elektrix » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:49:59 PM »

I learned how to use Direct3D for 2D graphics, and was able to make a "tech demo" of my main character running around.  I'm having a really hard time deciding which vein to write the RPG story in... I can see why so many devs take the lighthearted parody route.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »

I learned how to use Direct3D for 2D graphics, and was able to make a "tech demo" of my main character running around.  I'm having a really hard time deciding which vein to write the RPG story in... I can see why so many devs take the lighthearted parody route.

Deciding on a theme is my favorite part. You and I are opposites in a way. I hate fiddling around with the technical parts of game design. I want a very simple set of tools with limited flexibility that I can wring the most out of. I work best with strict limitations and I enjoy conceptualizing much more than tinkering.

That being said, parody is such a cop out. It's too easy to be funny - there's no risk of facing adversity if you make something dumb. Whatever theme you choose, avoid the sword and sorcery cliches.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:54:39 PM »

As if anyone might care, I stopped playing Phantasy Star Portable 2 long enough put out a new version of Dr. Coffin's Cursed Maze. Now with more save points for a slightly more fair difficulty!

Screenshots and download link can be found at: http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?t=3838
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:34:39 PM by Willy Elektrix » Logged
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »

Sweet!

I'm going to check it out later.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »

Sweet!

I'm going to check it out later.

Atta boy! Will you be the only person on this planet aside from me to see the end? Only time will tell.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: