Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2015, 08:12:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
349915 Posts in 14274 Topics by 2247 Members
Latest Member: Mr Scratcher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 121341 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: March 31, 2015, 08:36:10 PM »

I agree - Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire would probably be the best choice.  You get the awesome new look, but with the simpler gameplay of an earlier entry.  X and Y are great, but that 3D town with the big circle in the middle can be extremely disorienting.  I wouldn't recommend it to someone with attention issues.

(You make me feel old, Mr. R1ft - Pokemon Red and Blue were released in the US a few months after I got married...)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ksunstar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: March 31, 2015, 08:52:22 PM »

Thank you so much Tooker and Rift! And kudos to the excellent taste with Shadow Hearts which is one of my favorite games of all time! I don't even want to know how old I was when that game originally came out. Omega Ruby sounds really good except for the small issue that I have to share my 3ds which is going to be hard with Xenoblade Chronicles 3D coming out. Oh wait, I have on old 3DS! Woo, problem solved :)

Kristina
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:56:02 PM by ksunstar » Logged
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1067 on: March 31, 2015, 08:56:26 PM »

Shadow Hearts which is one of my favorite games of all time!

Hear, hear!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1068 on: March 31, 2015, 08:59:03 PM »

And the benefit of Pokemon is that other kids at school probably play too, so she can talk to them about it.  Somehow, Pokemon turns kids' ADD into a superpower where all the creative monkeys in their heads are actually working together as they strategize, battle, converse with eachother about Pokemon, etc.  (I myself have adult ADD and work in special ed, so I have massively ADD students who hyperfocus when playing games.  Granted, I work with high school students.)

Speaking of, what are some things that hold your daughter's attention better?  I feel like knowing that plus her tastes in things would help me come up with good recommendations.  

...that may be why I enjoy Love Live! School Idol Festival, a rhythm/music game for iOS and Android, so much.  I'm listening, looking, and touching simultaneously and thus I'm multiply stimulated and my ADD works to my advantage.

ksunstar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: March 31, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »

Hey Dincrest,
She loves Pixar Cars and all things Disney. She can play Cars games all day long but only the ones where you just race around in a circle and respawn every time you die. I think RPGs would be good because it would sneak in some reading and thinking. She played Persona 3 with me the other day and she did good during the battles and running around the dungeon but of course, that is a far cry from walking around a town and buying healing items, etc. I think if I just let her play around with Pokemon and not expect her to go any further than the first town, that would be a good start and she would still be doing some reading and thinking.
RPGs are my saving grace nowadays because as amazing and sweet as she is, she is very challenging to parent. She has the ADD, a speech delay and some attachment disorder (we think). She is our only child and she is adopted and she has been going through something in the past year or so. When I need a break, her dad steps in and I play a game to relax. Actually, playing games - board or console - is one of the few times that we don't butt heads. She is getting into Disney Infinity with me as well.
Off the screen, she also loves art. She can color and paint without distraction.
I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic. It's just funny that something that used to be mere entertainment has become so much lately. RPGs are now therapy for my brain, a tool to bring my daughter and I closer and hopefully, a chance for her to do some reading!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 31, 2015, 10:52:19 PM »

I just remembered another one that I reviewed for the site years ago. A DS game called Zubo. It's for kids, and I thought it was surprisingly good.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Zubo/index.html

It's really cheap on Amazon, too.

Edit: added an Amazon link.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:35:56 PM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ksunstar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: Today at 12:21:52 PM »

Just as an update, we tried Zubo this morning but with her ADD brain, she had a little trouble with the timing of the battles. It was also a bit annoying that you would use the touch screen for almost everything except when there was talking and then you had to hit A. She got a little irritated with that. You were also right about how she is a bit "spoiled" with graphics because once I showed her Pokemon Y, she put Zubo down in a big hurry.
I think I'm going to go ahead and get Omega Sapphire. She is having fun skating around in Pokemon Y but I do think that Ruby might be a little bit simpler as far as interface. She continually surprises me though so who knows.
I'm sure this has come up a million times but how annoying is it that Nintendo still only allows one save file for a lot of their games? I am playing Pokemon Y so I didn't want to overwrite my file so she has to just play on my character. She doesn't know how to save so it won't affect my file but it's still incredibly annoying. I guess their cash cow is working because I'm going to buy Omega Sapphire so she can play too so go Nintendo (wink). Thanks for the suggestions.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

I'm really feeling it!

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1072 on: Today at 03:16:56 PM »

I haven't had much time to write a substantive comment what with Music of the Year running all week, but I'm so glad to see you've joined the site and enjoy the show, and I'm glad everyone could help you try to find something for your daughter :)

I'll wrack my brain and see if I can come up with any good ones, too.

"Steb I'm always channeling my inner rage. I'm basically a tall, skinny, pointy-eared, pale she-hulk with a giant stick." - Liz

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: