Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2015, 10:34:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
371818 Posts in 14971 Topics by 2315 Members
Latest Member: yung ronin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 162080 times)

View Profile

« Reply #1125 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:56 AM »

I read a comment on Siliconera (not gonna try to find it because it's probably lost under a bunch of other comments now) on the article about the Xenoblade X boob slider, gonna paraphrase it because damn it really made a good point:

As a girl that had a pretty large bust at 13 years old, I feel a bit insulted, because people are acting like girls with boobs that size don't exist at that age, and if they exist in a fictional medium, they're being sexualized. Moral guardians may try to frame this as sexual objectification, but with the context being that it's a game and this seems to be the entirety of anything remotely sexual in the game, it's a non-issue.

Again, paraphrasing, but we probably should stop being so sensitive to little things like this, not to mention that if some creepy pedophile or whatever wants to ogle big boobs (they're not especially big, anyway) then they have better places to do it online; plus there's also a fetish for loli/shota, so maybe we should also take out the ability to give young characters swimsuits at all.

edit: I recall someone pointing something out about this in a similar situation, suggesting it's odd that South Park gets away with significantly worse than this on a regular basis (off the top of my head this comes to mind, and that's arguably tame by their standards)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:48:03 AM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Some music guy

The Turnabout Bustah!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1126 on: November 27, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »

I think the problem is in how the discussion is being framed. The changes were almost certainly a ratings move. The boards in different countries have different standards, and if someone on that board thinks a certain facet of the game qualifies to bump up the rating, that's it. Resubmissions to the ESRB cost time and money, so it's in their best interest to get the rating they're aiming for right off the bat.

To revise my comments on the show, after having done a lot of research and chatting with translators, I don't think it's a question of 'censorship' versus 'oversensitivity' but one of culturalization versus ratings. That commenter has a valid point, but also is purely anecdotal. Most people in western territories would balk at the notion of tweaking the boob size on a young girl, and probaly don't know the context (Japan) from which it comes and from which perspective it is a much less taboo subject.

Combined with the desire to avoid a higher than intended rating (which could impact sales), that likely lead to this change being made.

On a related note, can't wait to play the game as SHULK 2.0 ADAM HOWDEN
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:28:42 PM by Taelus » Logged

Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: