Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:26:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 838 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 596659 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11595 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »

Or eat!  I get dizzy when I'm hungry.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11596 on: January 07, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »

Has it happened from the beginning or just recently? Might be best to shelve the game for a week or two and maybe try again later.

I put about a dozen hours into the game at this point. Every single session, has made me feel this way, I just kept walking away from it saying that it was my ill opinion of the game that was doing it... stupid I know... guess I was in denial...

Seems to happen whether I play first thing in the morning or last thing before bed. Additionally, I seem to have strange sleep disturbances on the nights following my playtime with the title.

I was alternating with Tales of Vesperia and it hasn't happened at all. In other words, it is not something that is currently occurring across the board with my gaming but rather seems localized only to this game.

As an aside I just read the funniest statement in an article while looking into this....

Getting motion sickness while playing videogames affects a lot of people, yet it seems almost like a taboo to talk about among gamers because you might not be seen as “hardcore” since you can’t play certain things.

So I guess I'm not "hardcore" anymore.... please don't ban me guys!!! LoL

EDIT: I just realized EXACTLY what this feels like. I experience the same sensation if I try to read in a moving vehicle.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:26:15 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11597 on: January 07, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XsQIHGSNhs

The camera appears to be having a stroke.

I think your reaction is probably normal. Seriously why the hell did they DO that.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11598 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »

They gave Gilgamesh guns? WTF... Really WTFH.
Is nothing sacred?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11599 on: January 07, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »

Isn't this the game that turned Shiva into a motorcycle?

Why does this surprise you.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11600 on: January 07, 2014, 09:24:40 PM »

MAYBE INSTEAD OF CONTENT AGGREGATORS WE NEED MALCONTENT AGGREGATORS.

Also I sort of start tripping balls when I get stuck inside for five days straight because weather.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:19:34 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11601 on: January 07, 2014, 09:36:16 PM »

Klyde, could be how much you're stressing yourself out over the game. Could be that you're very slightly susceptible to vertigo (hence reading in cars, which is the easiest way to experience vertigo) and stress makes anyone more susceptible to all kinds of nasty things.

Combine the two and whamo, vertigo while playing a game that's stressing you out.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11602 on: January 07, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »

Klyde - I get motion sickness if I play first person games.  To combat this I wear sea bands.  Works like a charm for me.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11603 on: January 08, 2014, 12:03:10 AM »

So I'm teaching public school teachers this month, and I'm insanely busy. It's also a little daunting but I'm teaching primary school teachers and they're a fun group.

Prepping, planning, constantly tweaking lessons. Have an open class next where are the supervisors are watching and that's freaking me out a bit.

Then again, I get to do things like set up an obstacle course and have races where the teachers sit on chairs and give directions while another blindfolded teacher pushes them.

Sometimes my job is really fun.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11604 on: January 08, 2014, 01:11:45 AM »

Klyde, could be how much you're stressing yourself out over the game. Could be that you're very slightly susceptible to vertigo (hence reading in cars, which is the easiest way to experience vertigo) and stress makes anyone more susceptible to all kinds of nasty things.

Combine the two and whamo, vertigo while playing a game that's stressing you out.

Hmmm... interesting. I will look into your vertigo theory and am appreciative of the tip. Stress can cause all sorts of wonky things to occur so I don't doubt the possibility.

Klyde - I get motion sickness if I play first person games.  To combat this I wear sea bands.  Works like a charm for me.

I hope the 24 hr supermarket has them because I am going to go check right now... Between those and some ginger caps I should be A' ok for all future gaming!

Regardless I'm through (officially) with FF XIII-2 and LR. I am stubborn. I am dumb. Hell, I'm a self admitted complete fool at points. I am NOT however so idiotic to indulge something that can adversely affect my physical health and well-being like this (that I can easily choose to avoid).

I do however feel like an idiot for having had experienced this now for like 2 weeks without putting two and two together..... that part does leave me feeling a wee bit embarrassed.

To quote Kevadu's advice to me from the LR thread....

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

(That's actually a horrible cliche that normally I dislike, but it seemed appropriate here...)

I'm so frickin bummed out over this to be honest though. To add insult to injury I went to game store to pick up a replacement PS2 tonite and the Lightning Returns promo was playing the whole time.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11605 on: January 08, 2014, 03:39:47 AM »

I'm so frickin bummed out over this to be honest though. To add insult to injury I went to game store to pick up a replacement PS2 tonite and the Lightning Returns promo was playing the whole time.

I feel your pain... I nearly needed a barf bag to get through some of those scenes in Lord of the Rings when the camera pretends it's on a rollercoaster.

What usually helps me:
-Play in a well lit room
-Don't play when tired
-Take a ten to fifteen minute break atleast every hour
-Save and quit when you start feeling bad, because it'll only get worse if you continue
(-And in the case of XIII-2: look away when the camera is having its pre-battle seizure)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11606 on: January 08, 2014, 06:31:46 AM »

You can also try keeping the camera at max distance (I forget if it's applicable to xiii-2 or not though). I usually get motion sickness from overly mobile camera views and extreme detail, but when there's a lot more viewing area, I can't focus as easily on one thing and it helps to prevent that focal point from causing me intense waves of nausea. It saved me from FFXI when I would get really sick overplaying it.

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11607 on: January 08, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »

You can also try keeping the camera at max distance (I forget if it's applicable to xiii-2 or not though). I usually get motion sickness from overly mobile camera views and extreme detail, but when there's a lot more viewing area, I can't focus as easily on one thing and it helps to prevent that focal point from causing me intense waves of nausea. It saved me from FFXI when I would get really sick overplaying it.

That is a super interesting point D!! I have done this in just about any game I had the option to just because I found it it easier to focus. The camera is without a doubt, uber-zoomed on the party leader whilst moving in FFXIII-2 which I found to be troubling to my perception from the moment I turned the game on... I almost constantly have had to focus on the mini-map to successfully navigate.

I feel your pain... I nearly needed a barf bag to get through some of those scenes in Lord of the Rings when the camera pretends it's on a rollercoaster.

What usually helps me:
-Play in a well lit room
-Don't play when tired
-Take a ten to fifteen minute break atleast every hour
-Save and quit when you start feeling bad, because it'll only get worse if you continue
(-And in the case of XIII-2: look away when the camera is having its pre-battle seizure)

It helps to know I'm not the only one! Truly it does.... I'm taking all these suggestions to heart with my gaming from now on because I really don't ever want to experience this again.

I was sort of minimizing how extraordinarily bad this is/was with XIII-2 for me.... trust me if it were a matter a minor tummy ache or simple dizziness I would cope. I HAVE experienced feeling funny after long play sessions with other games but nothing like this. To be honest, the other night after a brief leveling session I couldn't even work. I begin to become ill with as little as 20 minutes of gameplay and it just gets worse thereafter. Thats why I am gracefully bowing out the XIII franchise even though I was actually at the point where I was really beginning to love it.

In truth, I am getting what I deserve here. This is a kharmically appropriate response for me having turned it into a stress and coming on here and bitching for the last week about being indecisive as to what to play. The powers that be are teaching me a lesson right now... appreciate my gaming, don't turn it into a chore, OR ELSE!!

Anyhow, I learned my lesson and will be FAR more appreciative of the Tales franchise from now on! Lol

On a positive note, I learned a great deal about motion sickness and how it occurs. Interesting stuff. Apparently its akin to your body believing it is hallucinating and/or being poisoned which is why it affects your whole CNS and not just your tummy.

And now, for something completely different....

So I'm teaching public school teachers this month, and I'm insanely busy. It's also a little daunting but I'm teaching primary school teachers and they're a fun group.

Prepping, planning, constantly tweaking lessons. Have an open class next where are the supervisors are watching and that's freaking me out a bit.

Then again, I get to do things like set up an obstacle course and have races where the teachers sit on chairs and give directions while another blindfolded teacher pushes them.

Sometimes my job is really fun.

Teaching is the single most rewarding thing I feel I have ever done. The greatest sense of fulfillment, purpose and even fun I have ever experienced was as a martial arts instructor many moons ago. Certainly far different from what you are doing but none the less to this day I value any opportunity to have a chance to educate.

I truly miss teaching. Maybe I should look into getting a tattoo apprentice.... Dice, move down to Northeast Pennsyl'tucky will ya? LOL
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:34:09 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11608 on: January 08, 2014, 03:45:44 PM »

I don't really get visual issues or motion sickness or vertigo (maybe other than issues with bright flashes, and yeah, ff13 can get pretty fancy and 'dazzling')... But I sometime get issues with sound effects or high pitched instruments bugging my ears.

Anyways. School. Teacher. Nightmare. She's got a thick accent, and she doesn't talk loudly, and her TAs know more what's up than she does..... I'm gonna be sad and mad this semester

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11609 on: January 08, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »

I don't really get visual issues or motion sickness or vertigo (maybe other than issues with bright flashes, and yeah, ff13 can get pretty fancy and 'dazzling')... But I sometime get issues with sound effects or high pitched instruments bugging my ears.

My doctor claims ANY of your senses perceiving something that is "off" relative to the motion your experiencing at that given point in time can cause various degrees of motion sickness. I was also told, given the fact that I don't normally experience it myself, it could be something as simple as sound effects or music that can cause isolated instances of it.

So maybe I'm off base... maybe it was the inclusion of lyrical BG music in a JRPG that drove my senses wonky. ***THIS IS JOKE, I don't honestly believe this.... although I did hate the XIII-2 soundtrack***

The only titles where lyrical music felt appropriate in a JRPG for me were Persona 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:54:44 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 838 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: