Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:25:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330188 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 877 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 674898 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12045 on: March 04, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »

Yeah I'm seriously wanting to just 'quit life' with how goddamn stupid the working market is right now.

If it isn't filled with leaps and bound you have to make, it's almost expected that you're qualified in about 10 different things and have at the very minimum 3-5 years of experience for an entry level job.  Scarier still is how much seems to be moving to contract work or unpaid internships.  It's probably not that bad, but things really don't feel welcoming right now in the working world.

That's why I don't understand why people pursue a risky liberal arts education.  The job market is bleak enough as it is for people with typical office jobs.  Why make it even more difficult for yourself?

Because I suck ass at math?  Like it's seriously my kryptonite. It will make me cry because it has before.

I'm somewhat better off.  I also have more "hands on" college education under my belt as well as real-life experience for what I want to do.  Pursuing a Bachelor's degree is so that it makes my resume look even better for any flurry of things I could take on.  On one hand it didn't seem like just a college diploma was enough, but a bachelors degree lacks that "practical" side that talking theory all day does little for the working world... And since I graduated young I said "fuck it" and kept gettin' mah education on.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12046 on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »

@Elegance I do plan on going for the CPA. On almost every financial analyst position I applied for, it was basically this format:

Required: Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
Preferred: CPA, MBA, or Master's Degree (in something like Statistics, Applied Mathematics, etc.); experience in some database (Hyperion, Oracle, SAS, etc.); 2-3 or 3-5 years of work experience; can outcook Martha Stewart; have more yachts than Bill Gates; etc. etc.

I sometimes do wish I had done something with math as it was my best subject in high school, but I just hated being pressured to be the best at math all the time, so I wanted to do something that didn't require a lot of math. However, there's a much higher chance of obtaining a job in accounting compared to many other business degrees, so that's why I'm choosing to do it. The advisors at the college of business at my university tried to sell me on an MBA, but I politely told them no. I honestly don't see the point in getting an MBA when I'm just 23 and have no relevant work experience. Plus, if an undergraduate degree didn't help me get a job, I don't see how taking the same classes at the graduate level would help me any.

I was half thinking about just going overseas to teach English for a couple of years and then start working as a translator since I already do translations, but it would take me so much longer to reach a native-like level and be able to translate much better than I can right not as opposed to just getting another degree.

Speaking of liberal arts degrees, it seems like their best option is law school...despite there being more than lawyers than the market needs right now, leaving people with an extra $250,000 in debt with no way to pay it off.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:05:45 PM by dalucifer0 » Logged
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12047 on: March 04, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »

@Elegance I do plan on going for the CPA. On almost every financial analyst position I applied for, it was basically this format:

Preferred: CPA, MBA, or Master's Degree (in something like Statistics, Applied Mathematics, etc.); experience in some database (Hyperion, Oracle, SAS, etc.); 2-3 or 3-5 years of work experience; can outcook Martha Stewart; have more yachts than Bill Gates; etc. etc.

I sometimes do wish I had done something with math as it was my best subject in high school, but I just hated being pressured to be the best at math all the time, so I wanted to do something that didn't require a lot of math. However, there's a much higher chance of obtaining a job in accounting compared to many other business degrees, so that's why I'm choosing to do it. The advisors at the college of business at my university tried to sell me on an MBA, but I politely told them no. I honestly don't see the point in getting an MBA when I'm just 23 and have no relevant work experience. Plus, if an undergraduate degree didn't help me get a job, I don't see how taking the same classes at the graduate level would help me any.

I was half thinking about just going overseas to teach English for a couple of years and then start working as a translator since I already do translations, but it would take me so much longer to reach a native-like level and be able to translate much better than I can right not as opposed to just getting another degree.

Speaking of liberal arts degrees, it seems like their best option is law school...despite there being more than lawyers than the market needs right now, leaving people with an extra $250,000 in debt with no way to pay it off.

Unless you plan on working for an accounting firm, I think you'll be fine with just a BS in Finance and a MAS.  Also those job descriptions are pretty standard across most industries.  My position asked for a CPA, Masters, and professional experience but I had none of those.  You really just have to get your foot in the door somehow.  As for the MBA, I doubt it would help you as far as knowledge goes, but employers would take you more seriously and think you know more because you took extra classes.  I hate the system too, but it's just something we have to deal with.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12048 on: March 04, 2014, 10:28:24 PM »

Yeah I feel like that's what standard job posts look like these days.

...oh, except you forgot the part where you're supposed to have already programmed software and currently used by NASA.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put these ridiculous checklists for jobs so they can dock you salary when you don't meet the position.  But that's just me being a tired, cranky sourpuss who's been reading all day.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12049 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:16 PM »

I don't even care about anything anymore here have some fucking ru pauls

WASN'T THAT NICE
I FEEL HAPPY I FEEL GOOD I FEEL HAPPY I FEEL GOOD I FEEL I FEEL I FEEL FEEL I I I I I I I I I

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12050 on: March 04, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »

I've been browsing a lot of job postings lately, seeing how I finished my PhD in December and am currently unemployed...

I remember seeing one posting for an internship that claimed you needed a PhD and 5 years of work experience.  Let me repeat that: for an internship.  I think that may have just been a mistake (like it was copied and pasted from somewhere else and not edited properly...) but the fact that I'm not even entirely sure about that says something...

But hey, speaking of job searching I had a phone interview with Google today.  Seemed to go OK.

I also got contacted by a national lab asking of I was interested in national defense work.  Would have to submit to a background check and stuff.  Not entirely sure that's really what I want to do, but it's an option...

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12051 on: March 04, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »

I've been browsing a lot of job postings lately, seeing how I finished my PhD in December and am currently unemployed...

I remember seeing one posting for an internship that claimed you needed a PhD and 5 years of work experience.  Let me repeat that: for an internship.  I think that may have just been a mistake (like it was copied and pasted from somewhere else and not edited properly...) but the fact that I'm not even entirely sure about that says something...

But hey, speaking of job searching I had a phone interview with Google today.  Seemed to go OK.

I also got contacted by a national lab asking of I was interested in national defense work.  Would have to submit to a background check and stuff.  Not entirely sure that's really what I want to do, but it's an option...
If you do get that position at Google, then you're probably set for life.  Good luck.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12052 on: March 04, 2014, 11:47:35 PM »

I applied for a promotion at work. I love my job, and I don't really want to leave it for the aggravation of the team lead job, but the money would be awesome. Hell, the only way I will leave my job is for a big boost like the team lead job would give me. Unless I get 6k more per year, at least, my job is too awesome to leave.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12053 on: March 05, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »

Weighed myself today at my new gym. Scale said 338....that's almost 30 pounds less than january. I don't think the scale's right.

TASTY!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12054 on: March 05, 2014, 03:28:19 AM »

Scarier still is how much seems to be moving to contract work or unpaid internships.  It's probably not that bad, but things really don't feel welcoming right now in the working world.

I hate this development so much. A while back during an interview for an unpaid internship they said they were looking forward to working with me because I was so overqualified. I then heard the chances of the intership leading to a position within the company were pretty much 0%. Must be awesome for companies that even competent people are so desperate to atleast do something to get ahead, they'll work for free.

And the older generations just keep saying we should just get simple jobs, get to know the company and climb the ladder. But it doesn't work like that anymore. The ladder is a lie! >_<

My sister worked for the local government for several years. She's get a contract for six months or so, was let go of after that period only to be re-hired in a slightly different position. Now she works elsewhere because she couldn't keep the chain going. Since she actually knew what she was doing she was more expensive than an untrained greenhorn, which did not work in her favor.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12055 on: March 05, 2014, 04:28:52 AM »

I'm saving the little stuffed doggy I've had since I was just 2 weeks old. This morning I noticed part of his stitching had come lose again, and instead of just fixing him like usual, I decided to go all out. I removed all of his old stuffing through the new hole in his side and washed, well, his skin. Once he is dry I'm going to repair all the small holes, fill him up with brand new stuffing and give him proper stitches. He'll be brand new by the end of the day! Well, as new as a 27-year-old beloved stuffed animal can be...

Edit: Done!

This what he looked like all empty:

Doesn't he look super sad? :(

But with new stitches and stuffing:

Yeah, he doesn't have any ears and sure, I gues he's nearly bald, but he's still cute, right?

While fixing him I actually got a good idea of how he was put together and drew a make-shift pattern. If I ever find the right fabric I could make a new one.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:40:00 PM by Tomara » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12056 on: March 05, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »

my mom died this morning...just back from making funeral arrangements. i feel numb..yet how can i sheds tears for someone who hurt me so much....

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12057 on: March 05, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »

My condolences. Hang in there. It's okay if it takes some time to get your feelings sorted out :(
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12058 on: March 05, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »

Sorry for your loss Alisha.

TASTY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12059 on: March 05, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »

Man, that sucks Alisha. I kind of understand where you're coming from, as I had a pretty complicated relationship with my father before he died. I had a hard time feeling any emotion for a few days. I hope you have some friends or family to help you along the way.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 877 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: