Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 06:55:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341196 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 923 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 763754 times)
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12405 on: April 08, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »

I was writing a blog post last night, probably in the 2500 to 3000-word range.  This afternoon I was making a few final edits and copy/pasted some revised sections into the browser version of the post. 

Deleted.  All of it.  Couldn't salvage it, after nearly an hour of trying.  The only parts that I had left intact were the most recent revisions, which were 3 out of 19 paragraphs.  **** it all.  Currently in the rewriting process. 

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12406 on: April 08, 2014, 07:40:28 PM »

Story for AgentD.

As I said previously, I'm a tall, skinny, no muscle guy. Pretty much always been like that.

Back in high school, there was a test where you hold yourself on a bar and you have to raise yourself so your chin rests on the bar then lower back down.

You'd think people with strong arms would be the top scorers... but nay! I kicked all their asses because I had almost nothing to lift.
MOUHAHAHA
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:54:55 PM by Annubis » Logged
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12407 on: April 08, 2014, 07:45:30 PM »

I was writing a blog post last night, probably in the 2500 to 3000-word range.  This afternoon I was making a few final edits and copy/pasted some revised sections into the browser version of the post. 

Deleted.  All of it.  Couldn't salvage it, after nearly an hour of trying.  The only parts that I had left intact were the most recent revisions, which were 3 out of 19 paragraphs.  **** it all.  Currently in the rewriting process. 

That's rough! :( Definitely take a break and take another whack at it! Who knows, maybe you'll think of new ideas that seasons the post wonderfully. :D

I'm actually very impressed you spent the time writing a lengthy blog post. I usually have troubles writing a great deal without repeating myself or being satisfied with what I wrote. Reasons like that, and being a little too hard on myself, causes not only my blog posts from appearing in the public sphere, but also kills off some posts here and on vgmdb.net. I'll end up writing a very informational post, then ax it at the end. I think it might also be that If I'm not in a mood, it'll stop me from taking another write-up (sometimes the mood to write in a particular thread might leave and never come back).

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12408 on: April 08, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »

That's rough! :( Definitely take a break and take another whack at it! Who knows, maybe you'll think of new ideas that seasons the post wonderfully. :D

I'm actually very impressed you spent the time writing a lengthy blog post. I usually have troubles writing a great deal without repeating myself or being satisfied with what I wrote. Reasons like that, and being a little too hard on myself, causes not only my blog posts from appearing in the public sphere, but also kills off some posts here and on vgmdb.net. I'll end up writing a very informational post, then ax it at the end. I think it might also be that If I'm not in a mood, it'll stop me from taking another write-up (sometimes the mood to write in a particular thread might leave and never come back).
Thanks.  I'm actually cracking at it again now, and I want to try and finish it tonight.  It's a little easier now that I'm doing most of it a second time. 

I feel that writing lengthy blog posts is liberating and fun, even if I know that nobody reads them.  I mean, I've posted unnecessary TL;DR stuff on this forum on occasion (Exhibit A).  I'm embarrassed by a lot of what I write too, but that shouldn't prevent anyone from writing.  You shouldn't always be writing for a potential audience; write because you want to write, and if you're worried that it isn't good, write some more.  That's how you get better. 

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12409 on: April 08, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »

I read them :p

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12410 on: April 08, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »

Yeah, that Ratchet & Clank post was a pretty good read, I hadn't seen it before. I still hope Future gets a trilogy release at some point, maybe even a Vita port.

Quack-O-Matic is my favorite morpher FYI.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12411 on: April 08, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »

Thanks.  I'm actually cracking at it again now, and I want to try and finish it tonight.  It's a little easier now that I'm doing most of it a second time. 

I feel that writing lengthy blog posts is liberating and fun, even if I know that nobody reads them.  I mean, I've posted unnecessary TL;DR stuff on this forum on occasion (Exhibit A).  I'm embarrassed by a lot of what I write too, but that shouldn't prevent anyone from writing.  You shouldn't always be writing for a potential audience; write because you want to write, and if you're worried that it isn't good, write some more.  That's how you get better. 

Haha, I'm guilty of TL;DR posts on here as well. ;) I'm sure that once I loosen up and quit judging my pieces so harshly my writing will see the light of day. :D

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12412 on: April 09, 2014, 12:17:51 AM »

Story for AgentD.

As I said previously, I'm a tall, skinny, no muscle guy. Pretty much always been like that.

Back in high school, there was a test where you hold yourself on a bar and you have to raise yourself so your chin rests on the bar then lower back down.

You'd think people with strong arms would be the top scorers... but nay! I kicked all their asses because I had almost nothing to lift.
MOUHAHAHA
Chin up tests, up until this year, I would have probably failed each year, but NOW.....I can almost make it to the top of the bar using a commando grip (hands face each other on a straight bar perpendicular to your body). With a bit of effort I can do one to each side, too.

TASTY!
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12413 on: April 09, 2014, 03:52:32 AM »

Story for AgentD.

MOUHAHAHA
Chin up tests, up until this year, I would have probably failed each year, but NOW.....I can almost make it to the top of the bar using a commando grip (hands face each other on a straight bar perpendicular to your body). With a bit of effort I can do one to each side, too.

I've forgone the whole gym thing and just work out at home now. I used to go regularly, but kind of stopped the last few years. I'm not what you would call out of shape, I probably carry about 3 pounds more than I would like (around my belly!) and am fairly active playing hockey at least 1-2 times per week. Prior to this program, I could do maybe 10-15 pull ups (palms out) consecutively before being very fatigued.

I followed the guidelines set out in http://www.50pullups.com and got to a max of 45 consecutive pull ups, that is, palms facing out at about just past shoulder width grip, before I got side tracked, went travelling and couldn't maintain my pull up schedule and kind of stopped for the better part of the year (you know how it goes).

For what it's worth, I think I started at the 10 pull up level. Following this program, you really have to stick with it and do the stretches before you do the pull ups. Even though I haven't done it in a while, I can still hammer out 25-30 with some strain. I think with regular/semi-regular adherence to this particular program I know I can do much more, probably in the 40 range.

I graphed it out over the 2 months I did it, and at a certain point my progress skyrocketed.

It's really nearly a full body work out (minus legs) and doing it I went from a 32 waist to a 30 and have kept it that way(not that I'm overweight or need to lose weight by any means) doing only pull ups and playing hockey (ice) once a week. Eating habits stayed about the same (average, nothing insane) and I stayed at around 155. Strength has increased tremendously, and it's really given my upper body more of a triangular frame with wider shoulders. I'll sub in some free weights here and there with some core exercises, but if I could only do one work out, it would be pull ups.

If you need to ease your way into doing pull ups, this is the way to do it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:54:18 AM by ultra7k » Logged
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12414 on: April 09, 2014, 05:42:58 AM »

@Monsoon

You never know who reads your blog. I mean, i wrote some really weird shit and my blog has about 11 million hits in the three years that I've been running it.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12415 on: April 09, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »

Well, I do know that SOME people read my blog.  My most-read post has about 20,000 views and still gets a few hundred a month. 

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12416 on: April 09, 2014, 12:11:53 PM »

Wow, I'm impressed. Most I seemed to get for my blog posts were several thousand hits and I actually got paid for those. Okay, those stats were pretty normal for blogs on that site, but still...

Anyway, I feel awesome right now! The outdoor swimming pool will open again soon and my aunt was talking about going swimming with the whole family. I thought I'd have to buy a new swimsuit, but my old one still fits. I feel super skinny! Granted, it's slightly tight around the chest, but atleast everything will stay in place when I show the little ones how to dive to the bottom of the deep end. It's a little over 12 feet deep so it's nothing impressive, but since my dad can't swim anymore (used to be great at it, even worked as a lifeguard) I'm the only one in the family who can do it. Hopefully the kids will see it as a challenge and try to beat me.

On the other hand, maybe I should buy a new one anyway. I got this one 13 years ago, back when I was still a bit serious about swimming. Wearing a raspberry red speedo when you're barely a recreational swimmer is just kind of... yeah. Now wait, raspberry red speedos are always kinda... yeah.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12417 on: April 09, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »

Turns out my tax return came in yesterday! So naturally the first thing I did was buy Warlock 2. Oddly, even though it's not supposed to unlock until tomorrow I can play it just fine. Started an Exiled campaign with the Undead. Taking over the world with Ghost Ships and Giant Bats. Didn't play a lot (it felt odd playing a game that technically isn't "out" yet, even though I've beta tested plenty before) but a few changes I noticed right away are fantastic. New races and wizards to choose from, obviously. Also you can finally view the spell tree so picking a new one to research is less of a guessing game And now this is turning into a Game Journal post, so I'll give more opinions there when I've had more time to check it out.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12418 on: April 09, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »

Turns out my tax return came in yesterday! So naturally the first thing I did was buy Warlock 2. Oddly, even though it's not supposed to unlock until tomorrow I can play it just fine. Started an Exiled campaign with the Undead. Taking over the world with Ghost Ships and Giant Bats. Didn't play a lot (it felt odd playing a game that technically isn't "out" yet, even though I've beta tested plenty before) but a few changes I noticed right away are fantastic. New races and wizards to choose from, obviously. Also you can finally view the spell tree so picking a new one to research is less of a guessing game And now this is turning into a Game Journal post, so I'll give more opinions there when I've had more time to check it out.

Luck you, I'm still waiting for my measly tax return. Stupid work, taxing me the appropriate amount!
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12419 on: April 09, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »

Wow, I'm impressed. Most I seemed to get for my blog posts were several thousand hits and I actually got paid for those. Okay, those stats were pretty normal for blogs on that site, but still...
OK, I made a mistake.  I was reading the stats wrong.  My blog's TOTAL hits is around 23,000, but more than 7,000 are from a single post about anime basketball.  It's more than quintuple the unique hits of any other post I've made.  Yeah.  it's weird. 

Anyway, I had a really surprisingly good day at work. TWO of my superiors sent me emails about DIFFERENT job openings within our department (that have), providing very similar messages of "these jobs pay much better and you should get ready for when they open in May."  Then, another of my supervisors (who also knows about those jobs, I'm assuming) told me that I'm going to be doing some special training next week at sites outside the office "because that training might help for future opportunities."  I might get promoted this summer! 

Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 923 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: