Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:22:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338083 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 908 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 739556 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12660 on: May 12, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »

Yeah, I still have my original fat PS2 too.
Needless to say, it's like an elderly man on his last leg.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12661 on: May 12, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »

You know what else is like an elderly man on his last leg?

Grandpa after he got drunk and tried to use a chainsaw.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12662 on: May 12, 2014, 08:38:36 PM »

Oh good, Monster Monpiece was just announced with a release date within the same week as Wildstar and Mario Kart 8. Just when I was worried about having money going into June. -_-
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12663 on: May 13, 2014, 03:30:43 AM »

Yeah, I still have my original fat PS2 too.
Needless to say, it's like an elderly man on his last leg.

For an old man my old PS2 sure kicks and does so more quietly than the Xbox 360.

... I'm going to miss him when he's gone. He helped me get into game journalism, you know? Aside from my girl parts it was my ability to play imports that made me stand out from the crowd. And I remember how I shared the secret of saving a PS2 from DREs got me suspended from the official PlayStation forums, only to be chosen as 'most helpful member of the year' almost right after that by other users. Got some nice prizes for that, like a nice bag and a L.E. Shadow of the Colossus with some extra goodies. Good times.

Grandpa after he got drunk and tried to use a chainsaw.

My dad nearly lost an arm like that :D

Well, okay, it ended with stiches and it was mostly my uncle's fault, but still...
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12664 on: May 14, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »

I couldn't help but retire my PS2 once I discovered the 60GB PS3. I feel like I will own 1, if not 2, 60GB PS3s forever. It is, without a doubt, my favorite console.

On an entirely different note, I think something is wrong with me lately. I've never been one to sleep much but in the last week I have been finding it difficult to sleep less than 10 hours in a clip. In fact, one night/day I slept 15 hours straight. My schedule is all f***ed up as a result. I am presently now trying to compensate by staying up round the clock to fall asleep at a normal hour, catch up on missed work (and gaming), and hopefully reset my schedule. This is probably a terrible plan but at the very least I'm getting stuff done.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12665 on: May 14, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »

That plan could easily backfire, you know? If you need that amount of sleep you'll have to catch up eventually and until you allow yourself the amount of rest you need, you'll feel like shit and be as productive as shit. Seriously, I went through something like that in highschool several times and made similar mistakes. The only thing that really works is to take a day or two off and get some rest. If that doesn't fix it, there might be something wrong with you and you'd better get yourself looked at.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12666 on: May 14, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »

I'm having the exact opposite problem, Klyde. The past three nights I've only slept for about 4 or 5 hours. And yet I wake up not feeling tired. Normally this would actually make me very happy as I've always had trouble sleeping soundly and would therefore require about 10 hours of sleep to feel normal, but to literally cut my normal sleep time in half and actually feel *better* when I wake up is a bit unsettling.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12667 on: May 14, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »

Since starting my new job,I usually get just about 5 hours a night, and that's 4 days a week. I have wednesdays and weekends off, and usually wednesday I'll get a normal 8, but saturday....man,if I wake up before 12, it's only to go to the bathroom and go back to sleep for another 4 hours. This has been pretty consistent for the last 8 weeks. It's not so bad though, cuz the pay's great.

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12668 on: May 14, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »

That plan could easily backfire, you know? If you need that amount of sleep you'll have to catch up eventually and until you allow yourself the amount of rest you need, you'll feel like shit and be as productive as shit. Seriously, I went through something like that in highschool several times and made similar mistakes. The only thing that really works is to take a day or two off and get some rest. If that doesn't fix it, there might be something wrong with you and you'd better get yourself looked at.

I've pulled a "reset" off successfully in the past. Likewise, this strategy has indeed backfired. My fear of course is that you are indeed right, I simply NEED rest, in which case this "strategy" of mine will not help matters.

Ultimately though, it came down to this... I had to get stuff done and I've been sleeping too much to do it. So regardless, I sort of had to play catch up a bit.

I'm having the exact opposite problem, Klyde. The past three nights I've only slept for about 4 or 5 hours. And yet I wake up not feeling tired. Normally this would actually make me very happy as I've always had trouble sleeping soundly and would therefore require about 10 hours of sleep to feel normal, but to literally cut my normal sleep time in half and actually feel *better* when I wake up is a bit unsettling.

I have always been a 5-6 hour kind of guy. I suspect Tomara is right when she says I probably need the rest right now in all honesty.

Truth be told, I beat the piss out of my body the last few months. Working long hours, running way too much, smoking like a fiend, all coupled with some life stresses that really sucked. Bound to take its toll I suppose.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12669 on: May 14, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »

Finals in a month. Already feeling the pressure. It's heavy.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12670 on: May 14, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »

Woo Hoo, had a cancellation at my beach house, managed to get a few days off so good news/bad news...a week we could have rented out the house for $$$ but good news we get one last week at the beach before summer starts in earnest!

Everything's Eventual
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12671 on: May 14, 2014, 09:50:56 PM »

The whole sleep thing has been a dilemma for me for a long time. Most nights I go to bed around 11 or so. I have to wake up at 5:30 to get ready for work. So I get 5 to 6 hrs of sleep a night. Maybe. This is not enough, and I know it. I find myself falling asleep at work in the mornings. I continue the idiocy because the only way I get to do things like watch TV shows or play video games is by staying up late. Every day is packed right up until about 9:30. My wife and son go to bed, and I finally get ME time. This is not good for my health, my productivity at work, or anything at all. But it's just so frustrating to have no time to yourself except a few hours on the weekends. I suppose I could alternate a bit, and go to sleep earlier some nights, and stay up later on others. I'm not really sure what the answer is, but I most likely can't sustain this forever.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12672 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »

The whole sleep thing has been a dilemma for me for a long time. Most nights I go to bed around 11 or so. I have to wake up at 5:30 to get ready for work. So I get 5 to 6 hrs of sleep a night. Maybe. This is not enough, and I know it. I find myself falling asleep at work in the mornings. I continue the idiocy because the only way I get to do things like watch TV shows or play video games is by staying up late. Every day is packed right up until about 9:30. My wife and son go to bed, and I finally get ME time. This is not good for my health, my productivity at work, or anything at all. But it's just so frustrating to have no time to yourself except a few hours on the weekends. I suppose I could alternate a bit, and go to sleep earlier some nights, and stay up later on others. I'm not really sure what the answer is, but I most likely can't sustain this forever.

Gee.  Do you work that far away from home or just working *that* long??  I know it's not as easy as sounds, but if the former, I'd seriously consider finding a new gig closer to home.  I think that'd be my one stipulation for work, I'd need it to be close.  I've wasted enough of my time/life just sitting on transit, and I'd make an honest effort to avoid anything over (at least!) 40+ minutes away.

And I'm sorry for your schedule.  I can imagine the burnout, I've been there myself where "fun time" is...like the next to last priority in life --- and that's no way to live.  I hope you can make/find some vacation time.  Not to get all "platitude-y", but just think that *no one* on their death bed has said that they wish they spent more time at work.  Make time for family, make time for you, make time for some good times.

Follow Bytor's haps right now.  He's missing out on some "$$$" but is spending more time at a beach house! :D

Finals in a month. Already feeling the pressure. It's heavy.

Good luck, Holy.  I was there about a month ago.  It sucked, but you find ways.  I recommend a novel or a hand held gaming device to ease the pressure from reading hours on end --- it helps when your mind has turned to goo.  Then I recommend three days straight of videogaming and hobbies, one day where you do the chores you've put off, then another gaming session plus restaurant meal.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12673 on: May 14, 2014, 10:33:21 PM »

I am still working on getting things organized. I have way too much kitchen stuff.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12674 on: May 14, 2014, 11:53:04 PM »

Gee.  Do you work that far away from home or just working *that* long??  I know it's not as easy as sounds, but if the former, I'd seriously consider finding a new gig closer to home.  I think that'd be my one stipulation for work, I'd need it to be close.  I've wasted enough of my time/life just sitting on transit, and I'd make an honest effort to avoid anything over (at least!) 40+ minutes away.

And I'm sorry for your schedule.  I can imagine the burnout, I've been there myself where "fun time" is...like the next to last priority in life --- and that's no way to live.  I hope you can make/find some vacation time.  Not to get all "platitude-y", but just think that *no one* on their death bed has said that they wish they spent more time at work.  Make time for family, make time for you, make time for some good times.

Follow Bytor's haps right now.  He's missing out on some "$$$" but is spending more time at a beach house! :D

My office is about a half hour away, so not far. I start at 7, but I'm not the type that can just roll out of bed and go. I leave work most days between 4 and 4:30, so I'm not putting in tons of work hours, even now during our super busy season.
I get home most nights 5:15 or so. I chat with my son about school, figure out and fix dinner, wash the dishes, then walk the dog. Maybe sneak in a walk around the garden. It's normally 7:30 by the time these things are done. I might then work in the garden for a half hour until I come in to deal with lunch-making, showering, and putting the wife and son to bed. Suddenly it's 9:30.
Rinse and repeat. I'm not looking for sympathy or anything. This is just how it is. My wife works weird hours, which is why I do so much. Plus, she's awful at cleaning, so I do pretty much all of it.
As you can see, when I DO have spare time, it goes towards my garden. No way would I be sitting inside gaming when I can be out playing in the dirt. I definitely get more time for entertainment type stuff in the Winter, though.
I have to admit that there is also an element of guilt involved. Like when I do manage to get some game time in when the family is awake, I feel like I should be doing things with them.  Specifically, my son. We do lots of things together, but I always feel like I can do better. I'll often pick out a movie we can watch together, even though I really didn't want to. I kind of like it when he goes off and plays his 3DS for a while because it gives me an out.
Anyway, I've rambled enough. Time for bed. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 908 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: