Author Topic: Whats the haps?  (Read 3863097 times)

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #15075 on: August 09, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »
Well, on Thursday my brother had an operation on his left hand.

Now today he broke a toe on his left foot.

....on the plus side, he now has plenty of excuses to not help the movers that are coming tomorrow. =P

That's not right. He certainly could. My father once came to help my sister with moving, although his hand was broken. He couldn't carry anything, but instead he just provided the rest of us with helpful advice. There's always something you can do.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: August 09, 2015, 11:54:47 PM »
Man, I really hate how I find people on Okcupid who fucking gel so well with everything I love, and then I send them a message and they don't reply. I rarely message people just because I hate rejection, but I hate being left hanging. Makes me miserable, like  watching someone in agony and not being able to do anything. I understand that the ladies on these websites probably get a million messages with dick picks or lameass "wanna fuck" messages, but I mean, I have the same inbox they have, and no message I have ever sent started with Wanna or a question in general, and usually runs longer than 2 lines....

I would rather get slapped in the face for thinking I had a chance with a girl (their opinion) then get shot down politely, but I'd take either over being left hanging and waiting. Seriously, pain is easy and usually makes me angry and eager to do something (i.e. exercise), but fear from waiting is just sickening, it makes me not want to do anything. To every woman out there, please just fucking shoot a guy down if you aren't interested, they will always be upset, but far less than anything else you could do...or not do in my case.

It's like that for all guys on OKcupid, so don't fret. You'll eventually get some responses and some dates, but it'll take some time for you to get the swing of things. My advice is not to spend too much time on it. Maybe at lunch you browse for 'likes' and then later on you write a few emails. Limit how often you check it because the mroe you check the thing the more you'll convince yourself someone is special or right for you.

Good luck.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: August 10, 2015, 01:51:34 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to find my soulmate or anything there, but to see a girl write in the "message me if" section and then writes "you like (x game series)" and sure enough it's one of your damn favorite series ever, you get a little flustered to not get a reply. I don't wanna go nuts in case she ever comes to this board (YEAH, I am THAT neurotic), but I basically asked how if she was excited for the new titles in the series being made. Not even a loaded question. It basically leads me to think she saw my profile photo and said UNGH HE'S FAT and shot me down, and I know I shouldn't think that way, but as I probably put here many times in the past, years and years of verbal abuse from my peers have given me the self esteem of an 8 month pregnant woman. As soon as I even think about something like "oh she thinks I'm a fatty" I pretty much go all self wallowy...

For fucks sake I'm one of the strongest mother fuckers in the bronx now, why do I let shit like this bug me?! I think I need a therapist.

Sorry, ranting. It happens now and then. Weight lifting hasn't cured all my rage issues...

TASTY!

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: August 10, 2015, 04:55:50 AM »
You do realise that looking for a girlfriend based on video game preferences may not be the right way to go. Even if she is into RPGs, PMing a wall of text about your favourite video game may not be the best way of going about it. Keep it short to begin with, and for crying out loud don't go into full on nerd mode until you've scouted her personality a bit more.
Also, what Yoda said, don't check your profile too often, it won't make the replies come any faster.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: August 10, 2015, 06:11:50 AM »
You do realise that looking for a girlfriend based on video game preferences may not be the right way to go. Even if she is into RPGs, PMing a wall of text about your favourite video game may not be the best way of going about it. Keep it short to begin with, and for crying out loud don't go into full on nerd mode until you've scouted her personality a bit more.
Also, what Yoda said, don't check your profile too often, it won't make the replies come any faster.
That's just it, I don't send walls of texts, and I look for people who point out video games as a major interest. I am one of those people who reads through profiles to get an idea of what the person is like, and I won't even consider sending them a message unless I see a lot of common ground. In my 4 months on okcupid, I've sent maybe a total of 10 messages to girls, including 2 to women I had zero interest in but just liked something they had on their profile and wanted to throw them a compliment, and even then only 1 replied to say thanks. Any message I've sent has been short, usually about a text message in length, and pretty much either a question about their interests or a joke statement because "You should message me if you can make me laugh".

I'm not gonna lie here, I doubt I'd want to be in a relationship where I'm the only gamer, couldn't do it now. I really enjoy gaming that much, and have only skimped a bit recently because of gym runs so frequently (seriously, doing 5-6 days a week now and 3 hours per visit). But I don't think I would wanna date a girl who isn't as into games as I am. There'd have to be a lot of common ground aside from that, which I do look for still, or she has to be ridiculously pretty and have a thing for big guys...and that second one doesn't exist unkess it's on TV.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: August 10, 2015, 06:23:39 AM »
Overnight haps update: Officially hurts to swallow, but I haven't developed a fever so hopefully that's a really good sign it's not bacterial.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15081 on: August 10, 2015, 06:36:59 AM »
That's just it, I don't send walls of texts, and I look for people who point out video games as a major interest. I am one of those people who reads through profiles to get an idea of what the person is like, and I won't even consider sending them a message unless I see a lot of common ground. In my 4 months on okcupid, I've sent maybe a total of 10 messages to girls, including 2 to women I had zero interest in but just liked something they had on their profile and wanted to throw them a compliment, and even then only 1 replied to say thanks. Any message I've sent has been short, usually about a text message in length, and pretty much either a question about their interests or a joke statement because "You should message me if you can make me laugh".

I'm not gonna lie here, I doubt I'd want to be in a relationship where I'm the only gamer, couldn't do it now. I really enjoy gaming that much, and have only skimped a bit recently because of gym runs so frequently (seriously, doing 5-6 days a week now and 3 hours per visit). But I don't think I would wanna date a girl who isn't as into games as I am. There'd have to be a lot of common ground aside from that, which I do look for still, or she has to be ridiculously pretty and have a thing for big guys...and that second one doesn't exist unkess it's on TV.

It's incredibly unlikely that you'll find anyone with that approach. You're too specific and building a relationship around video games is crazy, even by my standards (and I've spent a better part of my life gaming). I remember you mentioning that you won't put on a nice shirt and "pretty" yourself up for the profile picture because that just isn't you. Believe me pal, it's going to be :)
Being in a relationship changes you, weather you like it or not. That goes double early on. It's not really pretending you're someone, just a phase called "trying". You're still you, just a lot cleaner and gentlemanly :)
Eventually, once you both get comfortable with each other, you'll start to loosen up. Some things will stay regardless, and trust me, its for the best :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:48:46 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: August 10, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
I doubt me looking any more uncomfortable in a dress shirt will make me more desireable, much less approachable. And I tried the nicer shirt (nice black polo actually), but I just look terribly stiff and uncomfortable...believe me not something I would ever subject people too, said photo was e-burned (bonfire gif and everything).

You're missing the point of what I'm saying Maxx. It's not that I'm ONLY looking for an interest in gaming, I look over every profile I check. I look for things like an interest in comedy, favorite movies, favorite tv shows, hell even favorite foods is sometimes enough to get me to ask "where's your favorite place for (x food) in the city?". I'm not picky, but I'm not gonna bend over backwards just to find a girl who says yes instead of one who says holy shit you sound great. There are 10 million people in NYC, half of them are women. There's gotta be at least a handful of women who fit a few of my criteria for being fuckawesome, and I've already found 2. It'd just be nice if they'd reply already and either tell me to fuck off or something less heart stabbingly painful.

TASTY!

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: August 10, 2015, 07:27:59 AM »
My point is that you're being a little too specific, gaming wise or not. Part of the fun in dating is learning about the other person. Combing each profile for a perfect fit may be a very "internet" thing to do, but I doubt it's a good way to go about finding someone. I still say that going out is the best way to get your confidence up. Working up the guts to ask a girl to dance and striking up a conversation without the safety of the internet may be the more "terrifying" option but it'll do you good in the long run. Plus, the personal approach is the one where you get the exact thing you want: an answer. Be it rejection or interest, you still get a response.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15084 on: August 10, 2015, 09:04:29 AM »
Maxx, I can't reply to you without railing off about my miserable childhood and pained existence, so just accept without questioning that this wouldn't and couldn't ever work for me. I have 12 years of reasons to establish why, and another 6 or so years of instances proving so. It's appreciated, it really is. I have no one in my life directly who has been of any use for dating advice, and that's a whole different can of worms I'm opening but again, railing off. So again, thanks for the input, but it really won't work for me.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: August 10, 2015, 10:17:23 AM »
Maxx, I can't reply to you without railing off about my miserable childhood and pained existence, so just accept without questioning that this wouldn't and couldn't ever work for me. I have 12 years of reasons to establish why, and another 6 or so years of instances proving so. It's appreciated, it really is. I have no one in my life directly who has been of any use for dating advice, and that's a whole different can of worms I'm opening but again, railing off. So again, thanks for the input, but it really won't work for me.

stop using ok cupid. It's for people who aren't totally serious about meeting someone. pony up the 20 bucks or whatever a month for match. then give it half a year.  put on a clean shirt and don't get so butthurt about rejection. (just pretend those people don't even really EXIST until you actually meet them) You WILL get a date.  OR just keep doing the same thing you've always done and remain unsatisfied with your results.

you can't just be all "THIS IS ME AND IM NOT CHANGING SO FUCKING DEAL WITH IT"  I don't care how powerful you are, if you aren't a little malleable than you're just wasting your time.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: August 10, 2015, 11:09:49 AM »
Well, on Thursday my brother had an operation on his left hand.

Now today he broke a toe on his left foot.

....on the plus side, he now has plenty of excuses to not help the movers that are coming tomorrow. =P

That's not right. He certainly could. My father once came to help my sister with moving, although his hand was broken. He couldn't carry anything, but instead he just provided the rest of us with helpful advice. There's always something you can do.

No, he couldn't even get back down the stairs...the painkillers knocking him out don't help. Plus he hasn't seen the doctor yet because all the offices nearby were closed all day yesterday (He's going today in an hour), so that doesn't help. He's just got some cardboard and a wrap right now...

EDIT: I guess I should say that all the orthopedic places were closed. He still got to an urgent care, obviously.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:13:17 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: August 10, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »
There's a pretty blurry line between being well dressed and being a slob. I'm definitely not well dressed but I do my damndest to at least appear respectable in public, clean shirt and combed hair always short of outdoor work or gym runs. Hell even for the gym I generally shower and wear a clean shirt. Look, maybe I've given you all a very poor picture of who I am. I'm no slob, and I'm very self conscious of my appearance in public. It's rare I leave my house without a shower and a clean look these days. Plenty of people make great first impressions in clean jeans and a plain T shirt that fits correctly. I get that I have said I value comfort over prettiness, but I don't ever look like some college student the day before laundry month.

Just needed to establish that.

TASTY!

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: August 10, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
I guess I should have used some " " there, but whatever.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: August 11, 2015, 04:18:26 AM »
Blah, sometimes I just kinda hate the people I work with. Actually, they technically work for me, but still... You see, they often don't get popculture references or jokes in general (I just had to explain the concept of air quotes to atleast four of them), they haven't read much literature and heck, half of the time they are barely aware of the medium they claim to be fans of! It's so boring ;_;