Author Topic: Whats the haps?  (Read 3862108 times)

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #15090 on: August 11, 2015, 06:18:21 AM »
Blah, sometimes I just kinda hate the people I work with. Actually, they technically work for me, but still... You see, they often don't get popculture references or jokes in general (I just had to explain the concept of air quotes to atleast four of them), they haven't read much literature and heck, half of the time they are barely aware of the medium they claim to be fans of! It's so boring ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDGyPRr9-AE
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #15091 on: August 11, 2015, 06:27:38 AM »
And yet again, I'm compared to a villain ;_;

It's not my fault I have to lead a small army of Tedwards!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #15092 on: August 11, 2015, 07:03:29 AM »
And what's wrong with that?  The villain is always cooler than the hero.  Heck, the sidekick is always cooler than the hero.  Hero is lame.  

And here's Skeletor's best insults: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNz6eHfsESQ

"Why do I surround myself with fools.  Even the robots are smarter than you!"
"I could write a book about what you don't know!"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:10:27 AM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #15093 on: August 11, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
But the villain only exists to provide a challenge for the hero; to make the hero grow as a person or simply make him look cool. No matter how charismatic, intelligent or cunning the villain is, he or she will always end up a loser.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15094 on: August 11, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
And yet again, I'm compared to a villain ;_;

People work for you? That makes you the Boss.
Who do you fight at the end of a game? The Boss.
Accept it!
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #15095 on: August 11, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
Head cold day 2: woozy, heavily medicated, and still feel like death. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't at the same time as all the madness surrounding moving into an old house.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15096 on: August 11, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »
You know what?

Fuck clouds.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #15097 on: August 11, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
Clouds as in the big puffy white things in the sky, or clouds as in that nebulous online storage for digital content like Kindle e-book downloads?

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #15098 on: August 11, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
Clouds as in the big puffy white things in the sky, or clouds as in that nebulous online storage for digital content like Kindle e-book downloads?

There's this image on our company homepage right now, featuring someone who I guess is a Youtube star, holding a laptop with a touchscreen and a 360 degree swivel. She's standing in front of burning shed and looking, tiredly, at nothing in particular.

The image is the featured image for an article about marketing towards millennials, but I gotta say, standing around holding up a shitty laptop and ignoring the burning building behind you pretty much sums up the company's policies for the last twenty fucking years.

So to answer your question?

Yes.
o/` I do not dream o/`

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #15099 on: August 11, 2015, 09:12:56 PM »
Actually I guess emptily clinging to crappy consumer electronics while everything burns down behind you represents millennials pretty good

but what represents the hashtag willennials?
o/` I do not dream o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #15100 on: August 12, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »
Head Cold Day 3: You would think with millions of years of evolution, our bodies would be able to dispose of mucus more efficiently than clogging our breathing holes for a week.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #15101 on: August 12, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »
Actually I guess emptily clinging to crappy consumer electronics while everything burns down behind you represents millennials pretty good

Sounds like Mollie the horse in Animal Farm.  She wasn't necessarily in favor of the revolution (because she was pampered by humans and already had the good life), was more concerned about sugar cubes and ribbons than liberty and freedom, covertly cavorted with humans during the revolution, and when the shit hit the fan she fled for greener pastures- to be cared for by humans again.  Sure we could shout righteous indignation in that she traded one form of slavery for another, but A) wouldn't we do the same?  Even if the revolution was for our own good, would we be willing to give up our Starbucks (sugar cubes) and iPhones (ribbons) for it?  and B) If Mollie's going to willingly live a slave, why not get some sugar cubes and ribbons out of that deal?  

We could look at the fable of the dog and the wolf and self-righteously think we too would choose to be "starving but free" than be a "fat slave" but, really, would we?  I know a girl who spent two years living as a hobo- hopping trains, traveling, scavenging, etc.  She's back home and now has a job she likes, a roof over her head, and food in her belly.  She's not trading that up for anything now.  

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #15102 on: August 12, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »

Sounds like Mollie the horse in Animal Farm.  She wasn't necessarily in favor of the revolution (because she was pampered by humans and already had the good life), was more concerned about sugar cubes and ribbons than liberty and freedom, covertly cavorted with humans during the revolution, and when the shit hit the fan she fled for greener pastures- to be cared for by humans again.  Sure we could shout rightJAWSH, WAKE UP, YOU'RE DREAMINGeous indignation in that she traded one form of slavery for another, but A) wouldn't we do the same?  Even if the revolution was for our own good, would we be willing to give up our Starbucks (sugar cubes) and iPhones (ribbons) for it?  and B) If Mollie's going to willingly live a slave, why not get some sugar cubes and ribbons out of that deal?  

We could look at the fable of the dog and the wolf and self-righteously think we too would choose to be "starving but free" than be a "fat slave" but, really, would we?  I know a girl who spent two years living as a hobo- hopping trains, traveling, scavenging, etc.  She's back home and now has a job she likes, a roof over her head, and food in her belly.  She's not trading that up for anything now.  

My problem isn't the /clinging to consumer electronics/ thing but specifically clinging to /crappy/ consumer electronics. Smartphones could be a lot more amazing than the... twitter portal's they've become. Also by /everything burning down/ I meant more the shift towards unreliable and potentially exploitative /disruptive/ technology and or enterprises within IT. wrt cloud in particular, cloud technology has its uses but it's being pushed into places where it's not really an appropriate solution and it's benefiting the cloud vendors (who are ostensibly the 'disruptive' force here) at the expensive of costing clients a lot of money that they don't really need to be spending.

All I'm saying is that maybe people should demand some goddamn wonder of instant gratification.

(I think the old == needs to be replaced regardless of whether it works mindset is... what killed a lot of software projects in the late 90s/early 00s)

... Which is what I WOULD be saying if I wasn't being facetious :SSS

Oh and my other issue with the literal variety of clouds is OH MY GOD ALL THESE LIGHTNING STORMS LATELY.

---

So I'm eating a bowl of dry cheerios, because I'm an obscenely boring person. You don't notice this if you put milk on them, but by themselves, cheerios are a LITTLE salty and have this... very popcorn-ish taste to them.

So mentally I'm like, hey, oats is basically grass seed and OH MY GOD Cheerios are grass-seed popcorn!!11one

But then I remembered that corn is also, uh, a grass, so popcorn is... already grass-seed popcorns. In retrospect, corn and oats being in the same family is probably why Cheerios taste a bit like popcorn in the first place.

I'm picturing an /alternate universe/ where people are high by default, and get sober recreationally. This is the kind of revelation they have when sober.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:47:13 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15103 on: August 12, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »
^ that cheerios story made me laugh at loud at work. 

Now I feel like even more of a shit lord than I usually do.

DOUBLY SO NOW THAT YOU'VE DELETED IT

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #15104 on: August 12, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
Deleted what?
o/` I do not dream o/`