Author Topic: Whats the haps?  (Read 3735917 times)

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #16725 on: May 11, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »
^^ Nice Gambit!

Thanks.  I love dressing up as Gambit.  I did that during Halloween when greeting trick-or-treaters and most of the neighborhood kids were all, "YOU'RE GAMBIT!!!!!"  I might need a new costume, though.  For variety.  The only costumes I currently have are Gambit, my Ghostbuster overalls, and my Lando Calrissian outfit.  Lando is a tough one since I actually need a month or two to grow out the hair and moustache before I wear the costume. 

And since her birthday is also May 8 like mine- Happy Birthday Katniss Everdeen.  (Seriously, chapter 2 of the first Hunger Games book explicitly says Katniss' birthday is May 8.)

As for cake batter ice cream, when I was in grad school, there was an ice cream place not far from me that had the best cake batter ice cream.  The place closed down after I graduated, though.   Best dessert, though, is easily the brownie bottom sundae.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBloDahU2nE  I tend to stay away from those since I'm super health conscious, but every once in a blue moon... so decadent.

Gambit was one of my fav X-Men I had a friend that was super into him growing up, good times =-)

Is bribing them with Brownie cakes into submission a possibility?

Them being so easy to bribe is actually part of the problem...

Okay, it's not exactly bribes, but they do get distracted by shiny things they shouldn't want. There's this constant clash between mentalities. Some of them are stuck in their old fanzine mentality, believing they should be allowed to do what they want as long as it pleases the fans. Meanwhile, I (and a few others) have a much more professional attitude, which you think would suit a magazine that's being sold professionally. Sadly, the fanzine crowd has most of victories because they have more decision making power... It makes everything feel really pointless.

Hm, that kind of sucks that the problems extend deeper in terms of this kind of clash. Still, I'm kind of envious that you are thinking about problems that involve geekery, =-)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:27:57 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #16726 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:26 AM »
Hm, that kind of sucks that the problems extend deeper in terms of this kind of clash. Still, I'm kind of envious that you are thinking about problems that involve geekery, =-)

Sadly, on of my problems also involves a lack of geekery. Some members in our team are big anime/games fans, but we also have people who just sorta like some things but nothing more than that, and oldtimers (some of them the same age as me) who are still living in ~2005 - the last time they had any actual interest in anything current. It makes some opinions really difficult to respect...

What else... Part of the fanzine mentality is that people are sometimes too trusting. The former editor-in-chief would hand people assignment without checking their skill level, leaving to me to explain some stuff just wasn't print-worthy and that we had to find something else to fill those pages quickly. One of their greatest oopsies was not doing a quick background check on a potential webmaster. Disaster was averted, but still...

Finally, me trying to be the professional one (and having to play the villain occasionally) has left me with the reputation of being a jerk. I've been called 'really scary' by a newcomer, and some people I do get along with have jokingly called me a 'tsundere'. It probably wouldn't have been much different in another line of work, but I do notice that a lot of young people who come to us think it's all fun and games, but don't realise this job involves a lot of deadlines and other obligations.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16727 on: May 11, 2016, 09:03:03 AM »

Sadly, on of my problems also involves a lack of geekery. Some members in our team are big anime/games fans, but we also have people who just sorta like some things but nothing more than that, and oldtimers (some of them the same age as me) who are still living in ~2005 - the last time they had any actual interest in anything current. It makes some opinions really difficult to respect...

What else... Part of the fanzine mentality is that people are sometimes too trusting. The former editor-in-chief would hand people assignment without checking their skill level, leaving to me to explain some stuff just wasn't print-worthy and that we had to find something else to fill those pages quickly. One of their greatest oopsies was not doing a quick background check on a potential webmaster. Disaster was averted, but still...

Finally, me trying to be the professional one (and having to play the villain occasionally) has left me with the reputation of being a jerk. I've been called 'really scary' by a newcomer, and some people I do get along with have jokingly called me a 'tsundere'. It probably wouldn't have been much different in another line of work, but I do notice that a lot of young people who come to us think it's all fun and games, but don't realise this job involves a lot of deadlines and other obligations.

Oh jeez! Well I can tell you what often makes me feel better!

Brownies!

Yep! We just came full circle!
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #16728 on: May 11, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »
I can never eat brownies without a scoop of vanilla ice cream to cut through the chocolate.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16729 on: May 11, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
I can never eat brownies without a scoop of vanilla ice cream to cut through the chocolate.

Vanilla brownie for Klutz!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #16730 on: May 11, 2016, 09:23:26 AM »
That's just mean! I try to not think about comfort food when I feel down, because emotional eating is a bad habit (that I don't have but would not want to develop) :(

That said, Ben & Jerry's ice cream is on sale this week and I might get some

It's one of my favourites.

O, but I don't always want something fancy. Most of the time I'm perfectly happy with one of these:

Raspberry, orange and pineapple are the best flavours for popsicles and a raketijsje has all three!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:30:14 AM by Tomara »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16731 on: May 11, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »

Raspberry, orange and pineapple are is the best flavours for popsicles and Life Savers and Jolly Ranchers too.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #16732 on: May 11, 2016, 09:47:09 AM »
You've obsviously never enjoyed a Speedy (and you never will, because the dipshits over at Nestle no longer have the original recipe) or you'd know better than to disrespect raspberry and orange :(

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16733 on: May 11, 2016, 09:49:56 AM »
I harbor no ill will toward Raspberry or Orange, but pineapple is leagues ahead of either flavor.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #16734 on: May 11, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »

So many delicious pictures...!!!
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16735 on: May 11, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »

If we're gonna talk desserts and brownies and ice cream and such, then everyone needs NEEDS to try this.

Edited cuz the first photo was apparently too awesome for the page.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:37:11 PM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #16736 on: May 11, 2016, 12:37:29 PM »

If we're gonna talk desserts and brownies and ice cream and such, then everyone needs NEEDS to try this.

A 4K monitor?

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #16737 on: May 11, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »
Half baked is the best thing you can put in your mouth

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #16738 on: May 11, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »

A 4K monitor?

'Ben & SaCarCo Sweet Cre with Blo & a Salted' sounds delicious.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16739 on: May 11, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »
That's just mean! I try to not think about comfort food when I feel down, because emotional eating is a bad habit (that I don't have but would not want to develop) :(

That said, Ben & Jerry's ice cream is on sale this week and I might get some

It's one of my favourites.

O, but I don't always want something fancy. Most of the time I'm perfectly happy with one of these:

Raspberry, orange and pineapple are the best flavours for popsicles and a raketijsje has all three!

No! Emotional eating is good! Good for you Tomara =-)

Now I want a popsicle.

Edit: I also enjoyed just being randomly blasted with popsicle statistics and info in Dutch lol... =-)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:04:11 AM by Artimicia »