Author Topic: Whats the haps?  (Read 3735728 times)

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #16785 on: May 19, 2016, 11:40:16 AM »
I don't really care for fast food chains, but I kinda like knowing there are Subways everywhere. I like the veggie subs. However, I've only ever met one employee who made them perfectly. The perfect amount of everything distributed perfectly.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16786 on: May 19, 2016, 11:53:24 AM »
Chemex + tea kettle + cheap grinder + 5 minutes = brew your own coffee to taste how you want it to (and avoid McDonalds/ waiting in line)

Personally, I prefer Aeropress with a permanent filter over Chemex, but I get ya.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16787 on: May 19, 2016, 12:02:27 PM »
Totally agree that the aeropress makes better coffee.  But you usually have to use more grounds to get less cups. So if I'm making more than a single cup, I usually stick with the chemex (ours has a permanent filter too).

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16788 on: May 19, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
Chemex + tea kettle + cheap grinder + 5 minutes = brew your own coffee to taste how you want it to (and avoid McDonalds/ waiting in line)

Personally, I prefer Aeropress with a permanent filter over Chemex, but I get ya.

I don't know what it is, but when I brew coffee at home, I can really feel the effects of the caffeine and it jacks me up.  But when I get coffee out, it barely affects me at all.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16789 on: May 19, 2016, 12:51:55 PM »
^ I'd wager it's because you aren't skimping on the grounds. A well-brewed coffee should be nice and rich. Coffee bought whilst out is almost never like that... What method do you use to make it at home?

Totally agree that the aeropress makes better coffee.  But you usually have to use more grounds to get less cups.

This is true. Being the lazy man that I am, I just go with the ol' autodrip when making more than 2 cups.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #16790 on: May 19, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
As one that was allowed to drink pop as a kid caffeine hardly affects me. I gave to have three strong cups or one of them crazy energy drinks.

I like fast food but I can control it. I used to eat a TON of taco bell but it has been like 5 months since Ive even looked at one. Wendy's is good but there isnt one nearby. My weakness is Five Guys which is not good because that place is not cheap. It is trouble becuase it is on the way home and after a really long shift sometimes I dont want to cook and clean

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16791 on: May 19, 2016, 02:26:03 PM »
I've never bothered with Five Guys. They opened one near my work a while back, and I was abhorred at the prices people were telling me they were paying. I've had gourmet ground steak burgers from steak houses that were cheaper than that.
You down with Culver's, Yoda? I'd have to say they are the shit when it comes to fast food (good food quickly).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16792 on: May 19, 2016, 02:27:08 PM »
^ I'd wager it's because you aren't skimping on the grounds. A well-brewed coffee should be nice and rich. Coffee bought whilst out is almost never like that... What method do you use to make it at home?

I put about 1.5 tbsp of grounds per 6 oz of coffee in my Mr. Coffee, two paper filters, set to "Strong" and hit "Brew Now".

Is that not how everyone does it?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #16793 on: May 19, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
I've never bothered with Five Guys. They opened one near my work a while back, and I was abhorred at the prices people were telling me they were paying. I've had gourmet ground steak burgers from steak houses that were cheaper than that.
You down with Culver's, Yoda? I'd have to say they are the shit when it comes to fast food (good food quickly).

Culvers is good but there are none in my area. I know five guys is pricey but i find it delicious

Theres a place near me caled Edzos and that is the best burger Ive had. And their Nutella milkshake is pure decadence.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16794 on: May 19, 2016, 02:45:38 PM »

I put about 1.5 tbsp of grounds per 6 oz of coffee in my Mr. Coffee, two paper filters, set to "Strong" and hit "Brew Now".

That's 50% more grounds per 6 oz of water than I put in my Black & Decker (autodrip) or Aeropress, so I'm personally not surprised you get jacked up on it - lol.

Why 2 filters? Of course, I am no chemist, but I would think that would greatly lessen the flavor of the actual coffee. I guarantee you if you use ONE permanent filter, it will come out tasting much better. ...If you are interested in such a thing, of course.

Nutella milkshake

Interesting...

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #16795 on: May 19, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »
Five Guys is way too greasy for my tastes, but I do wish I knew what kind of pickles they use 'cause those I could eat all day.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #16796 on: May 19, 2016, 02:54:35 PM »
For the coffee aficionados:

This Is the World's Best Cup of Coffee
http://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/5/11/11644742/worlds-best-coffee-odd-steinar-tollefsen

World champ, Tøllefsen, in the story, uses Hario V60 over Aeropress. I lazily make coffee daily in the morning at work with the Keurig, so I know I'm missing out after reading your guys comments combined with the story above, lol.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16797 on: May 19, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »

That's 50% more grounds per 6 oz of water than I put in my Black & Decker (autodrip) or Aeropress, so I'm personally not surprised you get jacked up on it - lol.

Why 2 filters? Of course, I am no chemist, but I would think that would greatly lessen the flavor of the actual coffee. I guarantee you if you use ONE permanent filter, it will come out tasting much better. ...If you are interested in such a thing, of course.

Just to make sure none of the grounds escape into my pot of coffee.  They're really thin paper filters.  And the coffee tastes quite good (and quite strong).  I've thought about getting a reusable filter, but 1) I don't make coffee at home very often (maybe once or twice a month), and 2) my wife refuses to have plastic and heat anywhere near each other.  Do they make good metal (or just not-plastic) reusable filters that will fit into a normal Mr. Coffee?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16798 on: May 19, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »
http://goo.gl/WYTALj

straight from the horses mouth

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16799 on: May 19, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
Five Guys is way too greasy for my tastes, but I do wish I knew what kind of pickles they use 'cause those I could eat all day.

They use special pickles? They just taste like regular gherkins to me.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD