Author Topic: Whats the haps?  (Read 3769661 times)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #16875 on: May 31, 2016, 09:45:18 PM »
unrelated but

MESH'S vagueing about coworkers and HGTV PERSONAL FINANCES 101:

if you don't have enough money saved up to afford to pay your bills over a few months of unemployment, maybe don't buy a 500k, massive-high-ceilinged-and-impossible-to-heat-or-cool-affordably house in an area with inflated property taxes.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16876 on: June 01, 2016, 01:15:41 AM »
unrelated but

MESH'S vagueing about coworkers and HGTV PERSONAL FINANCES 101:

if you don't have enough money saved up to afford to pay your bills over a few months of unemployment, maybe don't buy a 500k, massive-high-ceilinged-and-impossible-to-heat-or-cool-affordably house in an area with inflated property taxes.

It took me til I was in my thirties to realize life is substantially easier when you live within your budget instead of constantly trying to scrape to afford things you can't, living well beyond your means.

Truly I gotta tell on myself here and say I'm still not all that good at it honestly.

I'm a sucker for trying to improve things that don't need upgrading and investing well beyond what I should when I know things realistically are generally good or at the very least good enough. One of the trickiest things about life to me is realizing "good enough" is actually "great" most of the time and "perfect" is often an expensive illusion/lie.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #16877 on: June 01, 2016, 02:53:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I'll manage to ask her and make it through the weekend without wanting to die :)

On the subject of money: I got so used to not having much, that I decided to become good at the whole 'not having much money' thing. For instance, I'm the type that rummages through charity shops in hopes of finding treasure. Got an awesome sweater dress for 2 a little while ago, and my wintercoat (2,25) netted me so many compliments last winter.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16878 on: June 01, 2016, 09:59:52 AM »
One of the trickiest things about life to me is realizing "good enough" is actually "great" most of the time and "perfect" is often an expensive illusion/lie.

True words of wisdom right there.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16879 on: June 01, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
One of the trickiest things about life to me is realizing "good enough" is actually "great" most of the time and "perfect" is often an expensive illusion/lie.

True words of wisdom right there.

Agreed.  Give me something important to do, and then when it's done, something pointless and fun.  That's all I want.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #16880 on: June 01, 2016, 02:00:47 PM »
At my moms house. Did some yard word now making her buy me lunch (Italian beefs from portillos)

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #16881 on: June 01, 2016, 05:56:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I'll manage to ask her and make it through the weekend without wanting to die :)

Let us know how it goes.
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16882 on: June 01, 2016, 08:52:31 PM »

Agreed.  Give me something important to do, and then when it's done, something pointless and fun.  That's all I want.

Recipe for both a good day and satisfying game session ^^^. Never fails :-)

I'd contend however, "pointless and fun" is a bit of a misnomer in phrasing. That is, after something important there is a serious relevance (or point to) having fun and paying yourself a dividend. In my professional life (art), silly as it sounds, I draw profound inspiration from my gaming and media (the dividends). Without those pay-offs the "importants" begin to suffer (capabilities in my professional life).

This is also another aspect of life that took me forever to grasp. For a long time I was of the pursuasion that all work and no play makes Klyde get good at something. That train of thought proved true enough but there is more to the statement.... Should read something like "All work and no play makes Klyde good at something and then burn out." 

NOTE: I apologize for having nothing to offer the current subject of love and dating. Experiences would dictate that is not a subject I should speak on, much less lend advice.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16883 on: June 02, 2016, 08:11:08 AM »
Thinking about trying out the Phantasy Star series.... not that I don't have stuff to play but I noticed them somewhere, I guess the first one is on the VC.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #16884 on: June 02, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
Thinking about trying out the Phantasy Star series.... not that I don't have stuff to play but I noticed them somewhere, I guess the first one is on the VC.

You probably want to start with 4 and ignore the previous entries unless you become a die-hard fan of the serie.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16885 on: June 02, 2016, 08:17:54 AM »

You probably want to start with 4 and ignore the previous entries unless you become a die-hard fan of the serie.

I was going to but I couldn't find it on a VC or something, I'd play it on Genesis even but I gave away my system a long time ago.

Edit: Oh apparently there's some collection for PS2/PSP that was in.. hrm.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:26:34 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #16886 on: June 02, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »
PS4 is great. The only other "classic" Phantasy Star I'd recommend is the first one.

2 was great for its time but the absurd amount of grinding in it makes it a real chore to play nowadays...no idea if they fixed that in any of the remakes though.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #16887 on: June 02, 2016, 09:21:25 AM »
PS4 is on Steam for like $3
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16888 on: June 02, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »

Recipe for both a good day and satisfying game session ^^^. Never fails :-)

I'd contend however, "pointless and fun" is a bit of a misnomer in phrasing. That is, after something important there is a serious relevance (or point to) having fun and paying yourself a dividend. In my professional life (art), silly as it sounds, I draw profound inspiration from my gaming and media (the dividends). Without those pay-offs the "importants" begin to suffer (capabilities in my professional life).

This is also another aspect of life that took me forever to grasp. For a long time I was of the pursuasion that all work and no play makes Klyde get good at something. That train of thought proved true enough but there is more to the statement.... Should read something like "All work and no play makes Klyde good at something and then burn out." 

NOTE: I apologize for having nothing to offer the current subject of love and dating. Experiences would dictate that is not a subject I should speak on, much less lend advice.

True: my varied interests have enriched my life a lot.  I am a huge fan of tennis, and because of that I have a much better grasp on geography and a lot of different cultures.  Because I got sucked into Korean Drama last year, I've started learning Korean.  And because of video games, I'm good at my job (design and layout, which requires high degrees of spatial reasoning to do efficiently).

As for love, Klyde, at least it looks like you can accept your current situation without acting like you're less of a person somehow because your experiences with it aren't the same as others.

Lastly, I'm excited about this $3 PS4 I can get.  What a deal!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16889 on: June 02, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »

This.
4 is the most accessible, and is a very solid console JRPG, in my opinion. If I remember correctly, the first one was a feat for it's time, but as with most video games at the time, it can be unforgiving (have graph paper and patience ready). 2 and 3, I just didn't find that enjoyable.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes