Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #18255 on: December 02, 2016, 06:34:49 AM »
Reading TVTropes on A Wrinkle in Time and now I'm getting L'Englesian vibes from SMT.
Oh man I remember reading A Wrinkle in Time when I was a kid. I don't actually remember too much about the book itself, but I do remember it was the first time I was exposed to the bending space explanation of FTL travel.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18256 on: December 02, 2016, 09:15:31 AM »
Anyway my issue with LotR is
DESERT
sarumon
merridoc

?????

Maybe I need to go back to those books.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18257 on: December 02, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »
Sarumon was the other wizard that didn't matter much. Gandalf tried to get help from him but he'd turned evil and like had a giant bird. Later he changed his name to Sharkey and started a death cult in the Shire or something.

Merridoc was the fourth hobbit.

Also the lands of Sauron are just this like desert. The hobbits wander around there a lot.

... Am I remembering this wrong?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #18258 on: December 02, 2016, 11:40:54 PM »
Feeling incredibly depressed lately and while I can point to a few contributors I can't really determine one underlying cause. I'm not usually the type of person who gets depressed around the holidays and actually usually get pretty hyped this time of year, and that's despite working retail for the past 6 years.

FFXV is a big factor, as dumb as that sounds. I think I've finally figured out what feels off about it to me, and it's the whole "Fantasy based in reality" bullshit theme they're going for. In fact, I feel like that idea actively works against the spirit of the franchise. Mind you, I'm not the creator of the series so I can't determine what does or does not fit in with the intended spirit of the games, but between the ending to Lightning Returns and everything I'm hearing about XV, I'm not a fan of the direction the series is heading. Which really sucks, because as a teen I spent a lot of time wondering what it would feel like to see the series end, and now I'm starting to feel that happening.

I know that sounds dumb, but the Final Fantasy series means everything to me. FF Mystic Quest introduced me to JRPGs and was how I fell in love with them. FF2/4 is the game that awakened my love of video game music. Final Fantasy IX is pretty much the only thing my sister and I ever truly bonded over, and Final Fantasy X came out around the time my mom, my sister and I ran away from my abusive Stepdad and had to suddenly start over in a new state without so much as a moment to say goodbye to my childhood friends. It provided the perfect escape while also feeling somehow relevant.

To see something that meaningful be reduced to yet-another-barren-open-world filled with Cup Noodle ads makes me feel lonely and nauseous. And I know I shouldn't pass judgement on the game before I've given it a chance, which is exactly what I plan on doing, but I can't say I have much faith.

At least with Shimomura at the helm, I know the music is guaranteed to be great.

Anyway, I didn't mean to unload like that, particularly talking so dramatically about Final-GD-Fantasy, but I think I needed to get those thoughts out before they tore me apart.

What I need right now is a big warm hug in the form of that FF7 Remake. I'll even accept Zodiac Age for now. Or Mystic Quest on 3DS VC

Okay done rambling for real now.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #18259 on: December 03, 2016, 06:16:13 AM »
Oh god the forums changed! I don't know how to handle change. Panic!!!

*runs around in a circle waving his hands while screaming*

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18260 on: December 03, 2016, 06:47:54 AM »
It's not green enough! You can't expect me to just suddenly go cold turkey after 16 years of green! D:

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18261 on: December 03, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
It needs more green but I am enjoying these changes!

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18262 on: December 03, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »
ugh...I'm pretty confused

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18263 on: December 03, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
ugh...I'm pretty confused

Oh no! Quick, how many fingers am I holding up?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18264 on: December 03, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »
OH MY GOD WHERE DID YOU GET THAT BUCKET OF SEVERED FINGERS
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18265 on: December 03, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »
OH MY GOD WHERE DID YOU GET THAT BUCKET OF SEVERED FINGERS

KFC

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #18266 on: December 03, 2016, 04:17:36 PM »
Mm, finger-lickin' good!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18267 on: December 03, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »
...and apparently all the news outlets are all talking about how President-elect Trump is a voracious eater of KFC.

Klutz- I may have talked about this elsewhere, but my friend echoed the exact same sentiments with equally strong conviction when FF7 came out.  Yeah, his backstory isn't as tragic as yours (for lack of a better word), but his feelings are no less strong about FF because it had a strong and profound effect on his life in some way, or he wouldn't be as adamant.  He hated that Final Fantasy moved away from "traditional fantasy" of kingdoms, castles, and flowing robes to more "realistic" and urban motifs like corporations, skyscrapers, and 3-piece suits.  To him, it simply wasn't Final Fantasy.  He bought Wild ARMs to tide him over till FF7, traded it in for FF7, hated FF7, and traded that back for Wild ARMs.  And he was one of those side-eyers who fell on the side of, "All those n00b bandwagoners playing FF7, they're not tr00 FF fans!  While *I* was playing FF1, they were playing Mario!" 

He loved FF9, though, and it's the only post-FF6 FF game he's liked, because it was his type of fantasy.  Yes, fantasy as a genre encompasses more than the "lol elves" castles 'n dragons stuff and includes cyberpunk, steampunk, space opera, alternate history, post-apocalyptic, contemporary (fantasy that takes place in our world), etc.  But logic falls on deaf ears because a contemporary fantasy Final Fantasy is not "his" Final Fantasy. 

And the whole notion of "falling out of love with" and even "breaking up" with something you grew up with is difficult.  It almost is like a relationship.  My friend felt vehemently betrayed by the series with FF7.  (Yeah, I sometimes think he's too hard-headed and stuck in the past, griping about the way things "should be" but whatever.)  And it sounds like you're "falling out of love" with the series because it's moving in a direction you're not digging. 

Pokemon is another phenomena that people are getting conflicted about.  Considering the first game came out in 1996, people who were kids back then are in their 30s now.  And now their kids are all into Pokemon, which is fine, but while the games are still good, many older fans are giving up the TV show.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz3ToHQH654 and Samantha: http://funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/427220/Pokemon/ .  A big reason I'm playing Pokemon Sun right now is because I'm working with a student at my day job who's a Pokemon fanatic and he's gotten me excited about Pokemon again.  If not for him, I probably wouldn't be playing Sun. 

The Persona series changed my life in a very profound way.  I even wrote an editorial about that: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2010/376.html .  But these days I could take or leave a new Persona game.  I'm not clamoring for P5 the way I clamored for the series in the past (though part of that might be that the Shin Megami Tensei series has gotten bigger in the US and doesn't necessarily need me as a fan any more, the way a smaller indie/art-house title might.)  I still love the Shin Megami Tensei series, but am not in love with it any more, if that makes any sense.  I haven't played an SMT game since P4, and I used to be the series' most vocal advocate. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18268 on: December 03, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »
And the whole notion of "falling out of love with" and even "breaking up" with something you grew up with is difficult.  It almost is like a relationship.  My friend felt vehemently betrayed by the series with FF7.  (Yeah, I sometimes think he's too hard-headed and stuck in the past, griping about the way things "should be" but whatever.)  And it sounds like you're "falling out of love" with the series because it's moving in a direction you're not digging. 

You know, funny you mention that - I was thinking those same thoughts earlier today, in reference to my wayning love of video games after hearing everyone talk about the PSX announcements on another forum, and how little I could share in their enthusiasm for all these games that just seemed to blend together to me in all the worst ways.

...Until I finally remembered that mainstream games tend to appeal to the lowest common denominator, meaning that of course there will be people raving about those, and of course I won't care - the type of games I prefer don't exactly get handed to me alongside the morning post and a cup of coffee, so I gotta put in the effort for my excitement!

And after doing so, I found a lot that made me say, "hey, why didn't I give this the attention it deserved earlier, instead of whining that they made a spin-off to Dick McMurdersalot's Homocidal Adventures in a Foreign LandTM, which exists because of course it does?!"

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18269 on: December 03, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »
Feeling incredibly depressed lately and while I can point to a few contributors I can't really determine one underlying cause. I'm not usually the type of person who gets depressed around the holidays and actually usually get pretty hyped this time of year, and that's despite working retail for the past 6 years.

FFXV is a big factor, as dumb as that sounds. I think I've finally figured out what feels off about it to me, and it's the whole "Fantasy based in reality" bullshit theme they're going for. In fact, I feel like that idea actively works against the spirit of the franchise. Mind you, I'm not the creator of the series so I can't determine what does or does not fit in with the intended spirit of the games, but between the ending to Lightning Returns and everything I'm hearing about XV, I'm not a fan of the direction the series is heading. Which really sucks, because as a teen I spent a lot of time wondering what it would feel like to see the series end, and now I'm starting to feel that happening.

I know that sounds dumb, but the Final Fantasy series means everything to me. FF Mystic Quest introduced me to JRPGs and was how I fell in love with them. FF2/4 is the game that awakened my love of video game music. Final Fantasy IX is pretty much the only thing my sister and I ever truly bonded over, and Final Fantasy X came out around the time my mom, my sister and I ran away from my abusive Stepdad and had to suddenly start over in a new state without so much as a moment to say goodbye to my childhood friends. It provided the perfect escape while also feeling somehow relevant.

To see something that meaningful be reduced to yet-another-barren-open-world filled with Cup Noodle ads makes me feel lonely and nauseous. And I know I shouldn't pass judgement on the game before I've given it a chance, which is exactly what I plan on doing, but I can't say I have much faith.

At least with Shimomura at the helm, I know the music is guaranteed to be great.

Anyway, I didn't mean to unload like that, particularly talking so dramatically about Final-GD-Fantasy, but I think I needed to get those thoughts out before they tore me apart.

What I need right now is a big warm hug in the form of that FF7 Remake. I'll even accept Zodiac Age for now. Or Mystic Quest on 3DS VC

Okay done rambling for real now.

Be like me and abandon FF for the greener pastures of the Xeno universe! =-)

Seriously though I was thinking of making a post about this in the thread but Xenoblade and to a greater extent Xenoblade X I believe have surpassed pretty much all other JRPGs to become the greatest JRPG series ever, even with strong fond memories for the likes of FF9 still in the background.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.