Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #18345 on: December 13, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »
Just don't get one for lead singer. Trust me.

The frontman in my old punk band was tone deaf, had no sense of timing, and roared like a dragon with a stubbed toe... yet somehow we made it work and people actually thought Kryovax was good. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #18346 on: December 14, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »
If you had told me last year that by going back to school for digital forensics would lead to me studying way more about Chinese patent law than I ever cared to know, I'd have told you you're nuts.

And yet here we are.

Though I suppose it is somewhat nice to finally know the origin of those dilapidated Chinese "bootleg" products that the Internet loves to make fun of.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18347 on: December 14, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »
Hah, wow, I think I'm friends with a real life shonen manga hero. She's a transfer student and is sort of neglecting her school work, but gets away with it because she's considered a special case, is talented and gets good (or atleast passing) grades where it matters. She's outgoing but prefers to hang out with the misfits. Her goal right now is to get into an exclusive school to pursue a career in art, and she talks about it like there's not chance she won't get in, and I'm starting to think she might actually be able to pull it off. It's no wonder she's has trouble with the bow despite being unnaturally strong. She ought to try something more suited for main characters, like kendo or fencing.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18348 on: December 14, 2016, 06:33:44 PM »
I feel like the Nintendo is building a theme park thing isn't getting the press it deserves...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/12/13917504/super-nintendo-world-nintendo-universal-studios-japan-park-attraction

I mean it's literally going to be Disneyland but for Nintendo video game stuff, sounds pretty awesome really.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #18349 on: December 14, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »
If you had told me last year that by going back to school for digital forensics would lead to me studying way more about Chinese patent law than I ever cared to know, I'd have told you you're nuts.

And yet here we are.

Though I suppose it is somewhat nice to finally know the origin of those dilapidated Chinese "bootleg" products that the Internet loves to make fun of.
Hey we should talk Chinese Patent Law sometime then! It has been a while since that was something I had to look at, but it could be fun!

Hah, wow, I think I'm friends with a real life shonen manga hero. She's a transfer student and is sort of neglecting her school work, but gets away with it because she's considered a special case, is talented and gets good (or atleast passing) grades where it matters. She's outgoing but prefers to hang out with the misfits. Her goal right now is to get into an exclusive school to pursue a career in art, and she talks about it like there's not chance she won't get in, and I'm starting to think she might actually be able to pull it off. It's no wonder she's has trouble with the bow despite being unnaturally strong. She ought to try something more suited for main characters, like kendo or fencing.
I've actually had people compare me to a shonen protagonist before. I believe the rough quote was "If aliens in giant robots ever invaded Earth, you'd be the guy who somehow gets into one and instantly know how to pilot it." Highest praise I have ever gotten. XP

I feel like the Nintendo is building a theme park thing isn't getting the press it deserves...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/12/13917504/super-nintendo-world-nintendo-universal-studios-japan-park-attraction

I mean it's literally going to be Disneyland but for Nintendo video game stuff, sounds pretty awesome really.
It isn't quite Disneyland. It is more of a land within Disneyland.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18350 on: December 14, 2016, 11:07:11 PM »
Today's SMBC is the greatest webcomic ever written.  As a physicist I whole-heartedly endorse it.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18351 on: December 14, 2016, 11:14:26 PM »
Today's SMBC is the greatest webcomic ever written.  As a physicist I whole-heartedly endorse it.

As an IT worker, two questions:

1. How can we leverage quantum computing to force crappy, inappropriate, and overkill solutions into apps modernization project for the sake of charging the client /the mad bl$ng/?
2. How can we leverage this to create in-app advertising which better targets fake news distribution at the user based on their browsing history?
3. big data the cloud ??? profit

(I swear, I'm not bitter. honest. totally).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:27:38 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18352 on: December 14, 2016, 11:33:10 PM »
That's three questions.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18353 on: December 15, 2016, 06:27:39 AM »

I've actually had people compare me to a shonen protagonist before. I believe the rough quote was "If aliens in giant robots ever invaded Earth, you'd be the guy who somehow gets into one and instantly know how to pilot it." Highest praise I have ever gotten. XP

That is praise. I'm jealous. All I ever get is "compliments" like:

"Your eyes are so big, you look like a cartoon character."
"You should crossplay a trap."
"You're acting like a Char."
"Tsunderes are real."
"Are you sure you're not a vampire?"

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18354 on: December 15, 2016, 06:38:40 AM »

And yet here we are.

I'd actually be interested in hearing more, I don't know much about this.

I gave up about halfway down that comic. I tried reading about quantum physics in my spare time before and it always just completely screws my brain. I can digest the pop science crap that probably pisses off real physicists like you though!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18355 on: December 15, 2016, 06:48:45 AM »

Goddamn, you're reminding me why I stopped reading about Quantum mechanics back in middle school. Makes my head spin. It's like the scientists are just talking themselves in circles, and what's even the point in the end?

Also, uh...I find it amusing that I read this soon after rewatching Yahtzee's salty video on Webcomics that he made for some reason, and getting really mad at it, while I happened to be eating a bowl of cereal. And I ate a ton of salty food yesterday, because I'm down to just snacks and TV dinners, and yesterday I read a ton Webcomics yesterday and how did I even find that video, anyways?

...My head hurts...maybe I should start sleeping again...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:08:32 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18356 on: December 15, 2016, 08:41:53 AM »

Also, uh...I find it amusing that I read this soon after rewatching Yahtzee's salty video on Webcomics that he made for some reason, and getting really mad at it, while I happened to be eating a bowl of cereal. And I ate a ton of salty food yesterday, because I'm down to just snacks and TV dinners, and yesterday I read a ton Webcomics yesterday and how did I even find that video, anyways?

Wow, that's old. Like, from back when laughing at Ctrl-Alt-Delete was something joyfully shared all across the world wide web.

Coincidently, I watched this yesterday. Turns out laughing at Ctrl-Alt-Delete is still funny.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18357 on: December 15, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »
...and what's even the point in the end?

Uh, the point is that's how the universe works.  We don't make the rules, we just try to understand them.

Honestly that webcomic is the most technically accurate general audience (maybe?) description of quantum mechanics I have ever seen.  And it's interspersed with lame sex jokes.  Truly the pinnacle of human civilization.

A lot of the stuff I see out there targetting the general public is just gobbledygook.  If you can understand that webcomic then you will know more about quantum mechanics than 99% of the people in the world.

Edit:

Coincidently, I watched this yesterday. Turns out laughing at Ctrl-Alt-Delete is still funny.

Damn, that had an RPGWorld reference.  I remember that comic...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:05:00 PM by Kevadu »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18358 on: December 15, 2016, 07:56:46 PM »
...and what's even the point in the end?

Uh, the point is that's how the universe works.  We don't make the rules, we just try to understand them.

Except the universe works regardless of whether or not we understand it on a cognative level. I just don't understand, what can we do with this knowledge? What do we need that would require quantum physics? I just don't see what the benefits of their research even could be, seeing as it apparently has no end goal? I mean, if the point really is to undertand the universe, I though people in general already agreed that the universe cannot simply be gleamed from sitting in an office chair, staring contemplatively out the window? And yet the only difference between Quantum Physics and general Philosophy seem to be the application of math in their explanations, but even the accuracy of mathematical models can only be determined through practical experiments whose results can be measured. Perhaps that's where I need to look for more info. I'd hate to believe that the all of this time, money, and effort that went into researching that field is ultimately pointless, but more and more these days, I'm coming under the impression that modern scientists don't actually care about improving the lives of human beings.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:59:51 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18359 on: December 15, 2016, 08:51:01 PM »
Ignoring the fact that many scientific discoveries that ended up improving lives were initially made for purely academic purposes, I feel the need to point out you're talking negatively about people supposedly dedicating their lives to something that has no practical application while posting on a board dedicated to digital sequels to tabletop diceroll games made by teams of dozens if not hundreds of people.