Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20205 on: March 13, 2018, 12:25:25 PM »
That's brilliant, @Dincrest

I just had this same thing happen to me last week.  After changing the batteries in both of my smoke detectors, after a 4am drive to Walmart to get 9-volts, all in an attempt to prevent my wife, who struggles with sleep issues, from waking up, I soon realized that.........
... I have three smoke detectors.  I didn't know this just from the chirping, because the third one is right next to the second one in a room we never use.  And, of course, the wife did finally get woken up before I could get it changed.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20206 on: March 13, 2018, 06:26:40 PM »
I think smoke detectors are the literal definition of "necessary evil." 

Speaking of time changes, is anyone else having trouble with them?  I feel like the older I get, the more difficult it is for my body to adjust to the time changes, especially this one.  I like to stick to one circadian rhythm and just stay there.  I'm up at 5AM every day and I don't like that my work commute is now darker than usual.  I'm a morning person, so I like my daylight in the morning and don't need the sky to be bright at dinnertime.  Knowing my body, I'm going to feel jet-lagged all week at least.  Hawaii and most of Arizona got it right in not having this silly time change nonsense. 

On another note, keeping my spirits up is March Madness.  Most of my students and coworkers like to fill brackets and the games really help make March go faster.  Otherwise March feels like the month that never ends.  I went out on a limb with my bracket (I embraced the "madness" part of March Madness), though I picked Michigan State as my overall winner, and it seems I'm not alone there. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:30:54 PM by Dincrest »
The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know a darn thing.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #20207 on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »
Speaking of time changes, is anyone else having trouble with them?  I feel like the older I get, the more difficult it is for my body to adjust to the time changes, especially this one.  I like to stick to one circadian rhythm and just stay there.  I'm up at 5AM every day and I don't like that my work commute is now darker than usual.  I'm a morning person, so I like my daylight in the morning and don't need the sky to be bright at dinnertime.  Knowing my body, I'm going to feel jet-lagged all week at least.  Hawaii and most of Arizona got it right in not having this silly time change nonsense. 

I'm still struggling to accept that the year is 2018.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20208 on: March 14, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »
I'm in the same boat, 'Crest. I also get up at 5 every day, and have found that this time change is kicking my ass more than I had expected. Like you, I am not enjoying commuting in the dark again, after getting used to it being fully lit the last few weeks. Driving to work in the dark while it's still damn cold out is draining.
My commute is mostly rural, and now it's become more difficult to see all of the stupid-ass deer that are active at daybreak again. I almost hit one yesterday. I wish I had a "death proof" car, and could just ram those stick-legged jerks (and all of the impatient asshole drivers I run across) off the road.
Thankfully, we'll have our morning light again in a few (long) weeks.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20209 on: March 14, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »
Yeah, same @Frostillicus @Dincrest

Not that I get up early, but that I'm having trouble falling asleep at a normal hour, which makes getting up an awful experience.  I had settled into a good rhythm, where getting out of bed in the morning was actually easy (which I never thought would ever happen).  But now I'm right back to my old snooze-three-times-then-start-weeping pattern.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20210 on: March 14, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
Meh, the time change isn't fucking with me much and I generally wake up at 6:30 or 6am every morning I work. Sucks to wake up in darkness again but it'll be temporary. My bigger issue atm is WE'RE GETTING ANOTHER GODDAMN STORM!

I'm done with winter.

TASTY!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20211 on: March 14, 2018, 05:48:43 PM »
@Frostillicus For me, along with impatient drivers and the occasional animal, the bane of my commute is potholes.  Because winter temperatures fluctuated so wildly, potholes are craters where I am, and I often drive more slowly in the dark to make sure I can avoid them.  Sure typical Jersey drivers behind me may honk, flash, and eventually roar past me when they get a dashed line, but I know I'll be having the last laugh when they hit a pothole at speed and have to get a tow and pay for an expensive repair on their car. 

@Agent D. I'm hoping this next storm isn't too bad out by me.  While Jersey-delphia hasn't been getting dumped with heaps of snow, we've been getting a fair bit of ice due to cold temperatures and wet precipitation.  The winds have been deadly too and tree crews are still out there clearing out fallen trees from the last couple of storms.  Again, the ice weighed them down.  The school I work at already used up our buffer of 3 snow days, so any more snow days we get will get docked off our spring break.  I thought our most recent snow day was a waste and should have been a delay... until I learned that there were several power outages in my district including at some of the transportation companies.  (FYI, I live a half-hour from my work.) 

Again, March Madness is what's keeping everyone's spirits up.  Teachers, students, the community, everyone.  Last night I filled out a bracket for the women's tournament and I made some bold choices there too.  My pick there is a Baylor- South Carolina final with South Carolina winning it again.  (For the men's bracket, my final is Tennessee- Michigan State with Michigan State taking it.)

Last year, my school (UAlbany) made it into the women's tournament so I was stoked.  They didn't make it this time around, but several of the big games are in Albany this year. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:11:20 PM by Dincrest »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20212 on: March 15, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
^ I've only been going to work as early as I have for a few months now, and I've noticed something: While there are obviously many more cars out and about during the average commuting hours (8-9AM-ish), there seem to be far more assholes on the road in the early hours. I don't know if it's because people are grumpy about getting up so early, but man I've run across so many jerks since starting the earlier shift, it's insane. Just a few days ago, someone very nearly clipped my front end, just so they could cut in front of me and be first at the stop light. I had a very strong urge to get out of my car, pull him out of his, and beat his ass right there in the street. ...Of course, that kind of gratifying insanity is never worth it.
I feel you on potholes, Dincrest. I've tailored my route to avoid the really bad roads, but of course, there's no perfect road where it snows as often as it does here. One should indeed be vigilant.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20213 on: March 15, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
Wise person once say, "He who rushes gets to the stoplight first.  He who gets to the stoplight first waits the longest." 

But, yeah, because the roads are more empty early in the morning, people think they have cart blanche to "own the road." 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20214 on: March 16, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
Had to get up early this morning and hit the road before the sunrise.  Guess what?  People were driving like absolute maniacs.

It's like, because there's more space on the road that means they can just use it all however they want?  Idk...

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20215 on: March 16, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »
I don't drive, but I do use public transportation often and the drivers in this area are definitely a bit too comfortable on the road when they only have to share it with a few people. One of my friends from the city came here late in the evening once for a sleepover and was certain the busride here was going to be her last.

Speaking of public transportation, I have a big trip ahead of me because I apparently have to justify myself before the grand council of anime geeks for going against one of them and fighting for volunteer's rights for fair compensation. It's a two hour trip there and the one back may be even longer, because one slight delay means getting stuck at a station for ~55 minutes.

That sad, the whole things is hilarious, because there are so many misconcentions about me on their end. Some of them picture me as a blunt teenager (I'm a blunt adult, thank you very much!), others assume my "twin sister" is me (but my own mother made the same mistake, so I shouldn't be too harsh), and it seems many don't know what I actually do because I don't paste my face on everything. On the up side, the fact that I'm relatively unknown means that they're not aware of who my allies are, meaning they accidently decided on a meeting spot that's not as neutral as they think it is. Soon, they will learn not to underestimate the connections of the most powerful knitting club! (I mean seriously, most of our members are upper echelon geeks - we we can work with more than just literal strings if we want to.)

Nerd politics are entertaining, if nothing else.

(Though I could be in serious trouble despite having good back-up.)

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20216 on: March 16, 2018, 12:06:01 PM »
Had to get up early this morning and hit the road before the sunrise.  Guess what?  People were driving like absolute maniacs.

It's like, because there's more space on the road that means they can just use it all however they want?  Idk...
At least you didn't catch a coffee to the face from some douchenozzle this morning.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20217 on: March 16, 2018, 01:34:03 PM »

At least you didn't catch a coffee to the face from some douchenozzle this morning.

:hugs:

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20218 on: March 16, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
I wonder, are we, as humans, losing the art of interpersonal communication and social graces?  I'll admit that I'm somewhat socially awkward and communicate with greater lucidity through writing than speaking (I tend to stumble on my words during conversations because I have a million ideas racing from my brain to my mouth).  However, I still am very capable of good interpersonal communication and social graces.  Heck, in every gigging band I've ever played in, I was usually the most outgoing member.  And here at RPGFan, I've been the PR coordinator for over a year now because I know how to schmooze. 

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20219 on: March 16, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »
People aren't writing anymore so we're losing our manual dexterity. Hence, I'd say those that live a life with the least contact possible are clearly losing on their social skills.
I mean, you can probably go on for a long time without ever getting out of your house nowadays with remote/informatic work, Amazon and grocery delivery.