Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20355 on: July 27, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
There are days when I wonder how much of news is fear mongering and how much is, you know, actual news?  Because after all, people who are afraid are much easier to influence because the powers-that-be can play on those fears. 

As a sort of ritual, I watch an episode of Star Trek almost every week.  Been doing it for.... 4 years now, maybe?  I do it to keep up with a podcast called Mission Log (Google if you're interested).  Anyway, we're on Deep Space Nine.  Just watched the last episode of Season 1 two nights ago, which was an episode that featured religious and political shenanigans all over the place.  During the episode, one of the characters threw this line into a small speech:

"We're all very good at conjuring up enough fear to justify whatever we want to do." 

It was just one sentence in a large portion of dialogue, but I literally had to pause and write it down.  As someone with a hyper-conservative brother and a hyper-liberal sister I am constantly wondering why everyone is so afraid all the time.  And it seems like maybe that's the answer: fear makes us correct, and being correct is the pinnacle of existence (apparently).  The news just plays into that, giving people exactly what they want.

It's obviously not good to be completely uninformed, but I say props to everyone who decides to tune this garbage right out of their lives.  There's a huge difference between being informed and being conditioned.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20356 on: July 27, 2018, 11:31:35 AM »
^ Well said. I like that quote, too.
I figure word of mouth at work and home will tell me if anything that truly needs my attention is taking place. ÖSome would consider it selfish to live in an uninformed ďbubbleĒ, but as you said, itís obviously not good for the soul to be too informed.
I figure no one else has to wake up with, or live with my brain, but me. Iíve got to do what Iíve got to do to take care of it. We all need to do what we need to, to feel at least a little together up there. ...As long as no one gets hurt in the process, of course.

Switched to just reading science-related news, which is much more exciting, anyways.

Very much this. Iíve been boning up on earthís geological history. Ultimately so much more interesting than what a 70+ year old selfish diaper baby, or some disgusting pervert in Colorado has done.

There are days when I wonder how much of news is fear mongering and how much is, you know, actual news?  Because after all, people who are afraid are much easier to influence because the powers-that-be can play on those fears.  And it's embarrassing that foreign outlets like BBC often report on relevant American news better than America does.  Something's wrong with this picture. 

Makes one wonder, indeed...
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20357 on: July 27, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »
There are days when I wonder how much of news is fear mongering and how much is, you know, actual news?  Because after all, people who are afraid are much easier to influence because the powers-that-be can play on those fears. 

As a sort of ritual, I watch an episode of Star Trek almost every week.  Been doing it for.... 4 years now, maybe?  I do it to keep up with a podcast called Mission Log (Google if you're interested).  Anyway, we're on Deep Space Nine.  Just watched the last episode of Season 1 two nights ago, which was an episode that featured religious and political shenanigans all over the place.  During the episode, one of the characters threw this line into a small speech:

"We're all very good at conjuring up enough fear to justify whatever we want to do." 

It was just one sentence in a large portion of dialogue, but I literally had to pause and write it down.  As someone with a hyper-conservative brother and a hyper-liberal sister I am constantly wondering why everyone is so afraid all the time.  And it seems like maybe that's the answer: fear makes us correct, and being correct is the pinnacle of existence (apparently).  The news just plays into that, giving people exactly what they want.

It's obviously not good to be completely uninformed, but I say props to everyone who decides to tune this garbage right out of their lives.  There's a huge difference between being informed and being conditioned.

goddamnit Arvis...  way to put a perfect bow on things

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20358 on: July 28, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
Okay, so there is this new fad/trend diet making the rounds on the news called the "carnivory" diet, which consists of eating meat and only meat.  No veg, no starch.  Just meat.  The logic behind that is that "cavemen only ate meat, blah blah blah."  https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/trendy-meat-carnivory-diet/story?id=56856367

I have nothing against eating meat.  Depending on your blood type or genetic predisposition, there are many who would suffer the harmful effects of nutritional deficiency if meat were eliminated from their diets.  So, yeah, eating meat is all well and good.  But this "extreme" meat-only diet being touted as the latest fad/trend diet is codswallop to me. 

A) The caveman probably burned 2000 calories hunting its meal, 2000 more running away from other predators trying to scavenge his kill or make him a meal, so you can't compare a caveman's daily life of literally fighting for survival to your lard butt sitting on the couch.  Plus, it's been scientifically proven that cavemen also ate all kinds of plants and starchy tubers as well. 

B) The only way a diet like this would even have a shot of being truly beneficial nutritionally is if the meat is 100% grass/plant fed.  That way, you're indirectly getting the benefits of the plant nutrients.  But most of the meat we get is all corn/grain fed.  Heck, cows on feedlots are even fed ground up meal consisting of bones, hooves, and animal carrion mixed in with the corn and grain.  So any nutritional benefit associated with eating plants is mostly moot in today's consumer meat.  And even if a label says "grass fed" how do we know they didn't just put one blade of grass in a silo full of feed?   

Whatever happened to, you know, simply eating balanced meals (in terms of both nutrition and portion size) and getting plenty of exercise?  Maybe this happened: https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/indian-family-comics-brown-paperbag-11-590855e291548__880.jpg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:45:32 AM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20359 on: July 28, 2018, 11:09:13 AM »
1. Weren't cavemen omnivores? Hunter-gatherers and all that.

2. What do those people have against bowel movements?

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20360 on: July 28, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
Yeah, cavemen ate a wide variety of plants, seeds, and starchy tubers along with meat.  I think the whole "cavemen eat meat!" thing is a perpetuation of movies and other multimedia portraying them as human carnivores.  It's kinda like how ninjas as we know them (with their full black outfits and hoods/masks) are a perpetuation of multimedia, namely old movies.  Actual ninjas in feudal Japan never dressed in black pajamas.  The key to stealth is in not being *noticed* which is different from not being *seen.*  So true ninjas basically hid in plain sight dressed up like everybody else.  But that wouldn't look cool in the movies, now would it?
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #20361 on: July 29, 2018, 07:07:20 AM »
It is weird what sorts of fad diets people will come up with. I can't help but imagine that this is going to end up with a lot of people getting long term negative health impacts. <-Spoken by a person who hasn't eaten a vegetable that counts in over two decades

It's kinda like how ninjas as we know them (with their full black outfits and hoods/masks) are a perpetuation of multimedia, namely old movies.  Actual ninjas in feudal Japan never dressed in black pajamas.  The key to stealth is in not being *noticed* which is different from not being *seen.*  So true ninjas basically hid in plain sight dressed up like everybody else.  But that wouldn't look cool in the movies, now would it?
Actually if I'm not mistaken, the full black outfit actually originates from an old style of Japanese theater (Kabuki maybe?) where the people who handled the props and background stuff wore all black in order to not stand out while the actors on stage were acting. Eventually the tradition became that ninjas depicted in that theater style would be dressed in all black to imply that they were seen as part of the background to the other actors. Over time that likely influences the perception of ninja in the Japanese public culture until they eventually made the transition to film where the look became synonymous across the world.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20362 on: July 29, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »
People who live in the far north survive on an all-meat, or nearly-all-meat diet, but they need to consume a fair amount of fat to remain healthy.  Trying to live exclusively on lean meat is apparently a really bad idea.

Anyway, I saw one of my mother's Chinese friends gardening with a coolie hat, and asked her to find out where I could buy one.  Well, I intended up receiving a hat as a present instead.
I've worn the hat a couple times while picking beans in 25-30C weather, so it's time for a review.

Positives:
The angle of the hat is such that it shields my eyes from sunlight from almost any direction, but still gives me a very wide field of vision when gardening.
This hat is physically very light.
The cone of the hat sits on my head via a small plastic frame, so there's quite good airflow; it's not so much on my head, as slightly above it.

Negatives:
This hat is pretty wide, so lateral clearance is an issue when walking inside.
The hat sometimes makes a faint creaking noise when I move.

Summary:
Although the aesthetics of the hat are what caught my interest, this is a very practical design, and a significant improvement over the ballcap I usually wear.  I don't know why I don't see more people using these; they're awesome.
I still want to know where I can buy one.

Overall score: 9.2/10

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20363 on: July 29, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
It's kinda like how ninjas as we know them (with their full black outfits and hoods/masks) are a perpetuation of multimedia, namely old movies.  Actual ninjas in feudal Japan never dressed in black pajamas.  The key to stealth is in not being *noticed* which is different from not being *seen.*  So true ninjas basically hid in plain sight dressed up like everybody else.  But that wouldn't look cool in the movies, now would it?
Actually if I'm not mistaken, the full black outfit actually originates from an old style of Japanese theater (Kabuki maybe?) where the people who handled the props and background stuff wore all black in order to not stand out while the actors on stage were acting. Eventually the tradition became that ninjas depicted in that theater style would be dressed in all black to imply that they were seen as part of the background to the other actors. Over time that likely influences the perception of ninja in the Japanese public culture until they eventually made the transition to film where the look became synonymous across the world.

That stealthy stage hand thing being used in noh or Kabuki makes sense.  Still, it's "cool media perception" of ninja rather than what a ninja actually was, since I believe most stealth assassins were peasants and would more or less hide in plain sight. 

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20364 on: July 30, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
I think I just had the best nap in ages. It was better than anything studio Trigger made in some time.

So, the dream starts out with an attic that needs to be cleaned out to make room for more bookshelves. That makes sense, because:
1. I always need more room for books
2. The dream version of my appartment always has this weird, creepy extra space in the attic with lots of room for storage

There's an old piano there. And it's softly playing. It's all wonky and out of tune, but the piano is making music all by itself. As it turns out, it's some sort of pissed off tsukumogami. This old paino, once loved, now forgotten, has turned into a vengeful spirit. Shit, this is going full horror, isn't?

Nope, magical girls!

I transform, hold a short little speech about how you shouldn't blame innocent people for your misfortune, and draw my bow. (Of course it's a bow? Did you expect anything else?) The angry piano is having none of it though and transforms as well! Right through the freakin' roof because it's now like the personification of music shaped like a 20+ meter tall pretty anime elf girl. I fly after it as it makes its escape, and after catching up, manage to shoot an eye out. Piano-chan is truly pissed now and transforms again. Now it's really going to be a nightmare, isn't it?

Nope, giant robot time!

The now blind siren-like creature, currently the size of a cruise ship, has retreated to the sea. I, now in a freakin' awesome robot, chase after her. I can tell that this is going to end well for me, because the background music has shifted to the bombastically hopeful and epic theme of whatever anime I'm in. It's hard to describe, but there was some Cruel Angel Thesis in there, because of course there was. Cruiseship-sized Piano-monster-chan is going down! This is the best anime-dream ever, isn't it?

And that's when it pulls me down with its final breath, its fresh corpse dragging me deeper and deeper into the depths of the cold sea. My giant robot wasn't made for this. I can hear it creaking under the growing pressure. Water is seeping in and soon it will reach the cockpit. I need to get out! But the energy pack is almost empty. Finally, I manage to escape, and pushing myself off against the rocks below, I blast myself to the surface. As I open the now drenched cockpit, I'm quickly pulled out by a woman who could probably best be described as a female Lockon Stratos. No idea where my brain pulled that from, but I'm not complaining.

The scene shifts. My left shoulder hurts. I'm told I'll be out of commission for a while. I figure that's the end of the awesomeness and wander off to find a place to sleep, because sleeping in a dream can be quite comfortable if you're tired enough.

That's when I woke up. Turn out I had sleepy on my shoulder funny and there was this dude outside who had 1) good speakers and 2) a really mismatched playlist.

Best. Nap. Ever.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20365 on: July 30, 2018, 10:03:58 AM »
Mecha, magical girls, and kaiju, oh my!

As for haps... I overdid it with heavy bicep curls last week and have "golfer's elbow" in my right arm.  Ergo, I need to not be a tough-guy and modify parts of my gym workouts so I'm not tugging on the joint and making things worse, though in my mucked up mind "modify" often translates to "wimp-ify" because I'm always trying to be a tough guy.  At least I don't have to use my elbows with cycling, so no need to granny-gear or stay off the saddle.    Oddly enough, holding a book for a lengthy period of time seems to put the most pain/strain on my elbow joint since it's bent.  And considering how much I like to read, that feels like the insult to injury. 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20366 on: July 30, 2018, 10:37:47 AM »
coolie hat

Overall score: 9.2/10

Just don't try and get in your car wearing it.  That's a great way to break it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20367 on: July 31, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
I'm totally sold on SSDs. I recently put one in my PS4, which greatly decreased startup; loading; and install times. I also put one in an old laptop that seemed to be working slower and slower over the last year (booting into Windows 10 would literally take 5-ish minutes). Now it's like new again. Boots into Linux Mint in less than 30 seconds.

Spinny hard drives are teh suck.
(...They're still good for storage, I know).
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20368 on: July 31, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »
I'm totally sold on SSDs. I recently put one in my PS4, which greatly decreased startup; loading; and install times. I also put one in an old laptop that seemed to be working slower and slower over the last year (booting into Windows 10 would literally take 5-ish minutes). Now it's like new again. Boots into Linux Mint in less than 30 seconds.

Spinny hard drives are teh suck.
(...They're still good for storage, I know).

Linux tends to boot much faster than Windows regardless of your storage device.  So you got a 2 for 1 there on the startup quickness.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20369 on: August 01, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »
^ That is indeed true, and I couldn't be more satisfied with the results.