Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20400 on: September 10, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
As for haps, no major haps but I'm thinking about stuff.  Like does the nature of the person who made a craft affect how much you like the craft?  For example, do you like a band's music less if the people in the band are douchey?

Absolutely. For example: I won't listen to The Black Crows (as much as I like some of their songs), because Chris Robinson is a smug dick. I also enjoyed the early Lostprophets albums at one point. Then Ian Watkins attempted to do horrible things to babies, so no more listening to that, either.
I feel less so about actors, because they are showing you someone else. Music is more a personal expression.

People only have kids because they're searching for some shred of meaning in their existence.

I like how you said that so matter-of-factly, when it's really more complicated than that, in many cases. Most aspects of life look more simple from the outside, indeed.

I'm only married because my wife woke up one day and demanded it happen.  I've never wanted children, but I suspect if I ever do have a kid it'll be because of something similar. Her best friend just had a baby and she is all googlie eyed over it...

Offer to take care of the baby for a few days straight. I'd bet her mind would change so fast, you'd actually hear her brain shift. Getting through the first 6 months is a rite of passage in itself.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20401 on: September 10, 2018, 11:55:37 AM »
People only have kids because they're searching for some shred of meaning in their existence.

I like how you said that so matter-of-factly, when it's really more complicated than that, in many cases. Most aspects of life look more simple from the outside, indeed.

It might maybe be somewhat possible that I was being glib and wrong.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20402 on: September 10, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »
And I'll admit, after learning about some of Frank Miller's militantly prejudiced sociopolitical views, I sold my copy of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.  Despite it being an iconic graphic novel, my visceral gut feeling was that I didn't want a book in my house created by someone who would probably not welcome brown people into his. 

Speaking of books, I've recently had people try to convince me that there are objectively "good" and "bad" books.  I think that's rubbish.  Not everything can be measured with a ruler and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.  One person's pulp is another person's literature.  If the purpose of "art" (and I consider books to be the art of writing) is to inspire, it's important to realize that not everyone takes inspiration from the same sources. 

There are books hailed as masterpieces that I found insufferably painful to read and books regarded as pulp or trash that thoroughly engrossed me.  If you were to make me choose between a literary masterwork like The Scarlet Letter and a pulp novel like one of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels, I would pick James Bond because that's closer to what I'd enjoy reading.  I love to read, but don't get all that much time to read for pleasure, so I prefer to use my precious free time to read what I like.  I read for my own satisfaction, not to impress snooty literati. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:35:41 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20403 on: September 10, 2018, 09:55:41 PM »
Arguments over "objective" vs "subjective" are seldom productive.  I'm of the belief that art can have objective qualities, but that it's pointless to claim that those qualities mean you must appreciate it.  The subjective aspect is simply more important.

James Joyce's Ulysses is apparently one of the greatest books written in the English language.  I tried to read it, one summer.  The prose was absolutely gorgeous;  if you told me this book was objectively good, I wouldn't dispute it.   But Ulysses did nothing for me.  I don't doubt a student of English Literature would find many fascinating themes and hidden references, but there wasn't any plot or characterization for me to lock onto.  It exceeded my limit for boredom, so I had to put it down.

I also read "Atlas Shrugged" that summer.  It was absolute garbage in almost every respect, but I did manage to finish it, because there was actually a plot present (and observing Rand's thought processes was kind of like watching a train wreck.  Horrible, but still fascinating).

If you were to make me choose between a literary masterwork like The Scarlet Letter and a pulp novel like one of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels, I would pick James Bond because that's closer to what I'd enjoy reading.
I read a James Bond novel a while back.  It wasn't High Art, but it was pretty entertaining.  I'd recommend it over Ulysses any day.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20404 on: September 11, 2018, 07:10:40 AM »
Arguments over "objective" vs "subjective" are seldom productive.  I'm of the belief that art can have objective qualities, but that it's pointless to claim that those qualities mean you must appreciate it.  The subjective aspect is simply more important.

I like this.  Great way of putting it. 

I also started tangentially thinking of why and how we each approach reading the way we do.  For example, my aunt is a retired geriatric psychiatrist (who still does some consulting at her hospital).  Because her job was so mentally taxing and draining, she never wanted to read anything too cerebral.  She just wanted to let her brain decompress.  Hence why her bookshelf has lots of trashy novels that you wouldn't expect a learned person to have.  I don't claim that my job is as mentally taxing as that, but working in special education is psychologically draining in its own right.  So that's probably why I sometimes enjoy the more schlocky/pulpy and less cerebral comics, manga, novels, games, anime, etc.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:18:17 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

ironmage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20405 on: September 19, 2018, 09:17:43 PM »
I went to the local entertainment expo (comic-con) last weekend.  It was quite crowded, which pushed me close to my limit, but I managed to decompress by hiding in a semi-enclosed anime/manga booth.  Although I spent about 15 minutes in that booth, and found a few interesting titles (turn-A Gundam), I didn't buy anything there.  The prices were reminiscent of the early 2000's, and it's not like I'm suffering from an anime shortage.  I also ran across a copy of Koudelka that wasn't absurdly expensive ($60), but decided to pass on it.  That booth was operated by a local videogame store, and I will probably have another chance at it, if I reconsider.

I spent about twenty minutes at the robot fights (1-pound class), which was pretty entertaining, even if the teenage girl next to me didn't have good spatial awareness regarding her elbows.  Watched about 30 seconds of a Society for Creative Anachronism fight, but it was just stupid.  They were just slapping at each other randomly with foam weapons, and falling over dead when they got hit.  I'd rather watch HEMA on youtube.

I eventually found an artist whose work I liked, and ended up buying a print of 2B, and another of Matoi Ryuuko.  My only other purchase was at a confection booth; unfortunately, the "cherry cheesecake fudge" I got was cloyingly flavourless.  Bleh.  I should have gone with the meat booth instead.

Other notes:
  • Attack on Titan is still in style; I spotted at least three scout uniforms.
  • Dragonball, My Hero Academia, and Re-Zero also made a fairly good showing (at least in the merchandise areas).  I also saw one or two sailor scouts (couldn't tell you which ones, I'm not a fan).
  • The imperial storm-trooper constume that incorporated a miniskirt was a good look.
  • T-shirt:  "I'm not tsundere, I actually hate you."  I don't wear T-shirts, or I'd totally have picked that up.
  • Furries creep me out.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20406 on: September 20, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
I don't wear T-shirts

I'm interested, tell me more.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20407 on: September 20, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »
^ Canada's too cold for t-shirts.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20408 on: September 20, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
Frosty with the logical insight, as usual

ironmage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20409 on: September 20, 2018, 06:09:00 PM »
I don't wear T-shirts

I'm interested, tell me more.
To be strictly accurate, you might see me wearing a plain white t-shirt if the weather is really warm, but mostly I just don't like clothes with logos or text.  My standard uniform is black pants, and a long-sleeved dress-casual shirt, in a shade of blue or grey.

In Saskatoon, the average daytime high in summer is 25C (77 F), with this year hitting ~37C (98F) at one point.  We don't all live in Tuktoyaktuk, you know.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20410 on: September 20, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »

In Saskatoon, the average daytime high in summer is 25C (77 F), with this year hitting ~37C (98F) at one point.  We don't all live in Tuktoyaktuk, you know.

I thought it was obvious I was kidding. My fault for not using Facetia font.

ironmage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20411 on: September 20, 2018, 09:37:15 PM »

I thought it was obvious I was kidding. My fault for not using Facetia font.

Don't worry.
All of this is according to plan.

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #20412 on: September 21, 2018, 12:12:22 AM »
And I'll admit, after learning about some of Frank Miller's militantly prejudiced sociopolitical views, I sold my copy of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.  Despite it being an iconic graphic novel, my visceral gut feeling was that I didn't want a book in my house created by someone who would probably not welcome brown people into his. 

I had a similar realization not too long ago with Batman: Year One.  I saw too many things with my adult eyes and adult knowledge that I didn't care for.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20413 on: September 27, 2018, 04:31:51 AM »
Archery talk. Yesterday, I taught someone how to shoot with a sight. Took a few hours off my own practice time and several years off my life. The guy is in his fifties, diabetic (-> not much feeling in his hands, fucked up dominant eye), more confident than I'll ever be (slightly justified, he does have over a decade of experience with a crossbow), and not exactly the most co÷rdinated person I've ever met. He's the only person I know who managed to hit himself in the face while stringing his bow with a bowstringer (which is generally the safest method and should prevent exactly that). But, I:
- managed to rummage together a sight, tools and accessoires (a challenge, because the guy need to use a left-handed bow)
- helped him improve his stance, allowing him to get closer to a full draw (he has two frozen shoulders, so figuring out something that works for him is a challenge), though this does mean we'll need to find a different bow for him next time, because the one he's using now is actually too short
At the end of the evening, his groupings were pretty decent and nobody got hurt.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off teaching than doing.

... I'm the skill fodder of the guild, aren't I?

Speaking of guilds, I had a pretty awesome weekend. The guild threw a big party to celebrate their 165th anniversary and I did what I do and like best: helping out behind the scenes and stay far, far away from the actual partying. I did go to the buffets, though. While I helped with a lot of the prep for the brunch, dinner was a complete surprise. Okay, not complete, when they said it was going to be something big I was already convinced they'd be roasting a whole pig (and they did) and it was easy enough to figure out what decorations would be used, but I did not expect musicians playing medieval drinking songs. The biggest surprise, however, was the other food: the soups were all vegetarian! I ate so much mustard soup!

Actually, I ate a lot of soup throughout the weekend. Everyone did. I faced the consequences on Monday, when all the soup pots had the be scrubbed out. On the upside, it was cold outside, but the kitchen was so nice and warm.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20414 on: September 30, 2018, 08:26:02 PM »
I was with that whole post til you got to mustard soup. The intelligent man in me knows you are referring to mustard greens or mustard seed, both maybe, and not the yellow condiment we slather on hotdogs....but the child in me (admittedly a very large child) imagines a soup made of gross mustard and I'm gagging.

TASTY!