Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327191 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 869 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 636932 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5235 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »

That's the problem with vacation, and why, at least for many people, it isn't as relaxing as it should be. I'm sure there are jobs at there that do this, but from people I've spoken to, and my own experiences, as soon as you leave there is no one to pick up the slack and help lighten the burden in your absence. I have friends who hate taking real vacations and pretty much use their vacation time to just extend a couple weekends a year just because they know if they take a week off they'll come back to more work than they had before.

I'm curious how this is for the non-US people. Because thinking about it I have family outside the country who don't have this problem. When I was visiting my family in Trinidad my uncle took a full month off for vacation and went back to work in the latter part of my stay without any extra work. In fact all of my family down there do this (and they all get a full month of paid vacation a year). I think I need to move down there god dammit.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5236 on: December 14, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »

This is why I only take extended breaks in the Winter. Sometimes in the middle of the Summer, too. Because I am the only one at our office that does what I do, if I leave during a busy time all hell breaks loose. I come back to a bunch of salesmen asking questions and needing bids done ASAP. During the Winter, I generally come back to what I left. Maybe one or two things to do, but not much. I'll be off between Christmas and New Years, and there will be no worries about work piling up as most everyone else is to. We always wonder why the owner doesn't just shut down for a week like most landscape companies do.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5237 on: December 14, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »

This is why I only take extended breaks in the Winter. Sometimes in the middle of the Summer, too. Because I am the only one at our office that does what I do, if I leave during a busy time all hell breaks loose. I come back to a bunch of salesmen asking questions and needing bids done ASAP. During the Winter, I generally come back to what I left. Maybe one or two things to do, but not much. I'll be off between Christmas and New Years, and there will be no worries about work piling up as most everyone else is to. We always wonder why the owner doesn't just shut down for a week like most landscape companies do.

I'm sure this why like half the world wants to become a teacher.  Summer's off, woooo

Final day to study for exam.  I couldn't care less... I'm soo so so drained by this point. 
I can sum up most of this semester this way: A waste of paper.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5238 on: December 14, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »

That's the problem with vacation, and why, at least for many people, it isn't as relaxing as it should be. I'm sure there are jobs at there that do this, but from people I've spoken to, and my own experiences, as soon as you leave there is no one to pick up the slack and help lighten the burden in your absence. I have friends who hate taking real vacations and pretty much use their vacation time to just extend a couple weekends a year just because they know if they take a week off they'll come back to more work than they had before.

I'm curious how this is for the non-US people. Because thinking about it I have family outside the country who don't have this problem. When I was visiting my family in Trinidad my uncle took a full month off for vacation and went back to work in the latter part of my stay without any extra work. In fact all of my family down there do this (and they all get a full month of paid vacation a year). I think I need to move down there god dammit.

I'm excited. I'm head to Boston for the 17-18, but I'll be in the backwoods of NH digging into Bolano's 2666, hanging with old friends who never left, and just enjoying some quiet time away from the city. I don't care about how much work I come back to.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5239 on: December 14, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »

2666 is great. Part 5 of that novel is probably my favorite piece of Bolano's writing.

And I've no doubt you're excited, it's just an observation I've had about vacations from talking with friends.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5240 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNrKHucXmg&feature=related

nark nark

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5241 on: December 14, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »

In case I haven't mentioned it before I'm a PhD student in the later stages of grad school.  Just found out today that I need to graduate next quarter because there won't be money for me after that (funny how it always seems to work that way).  In a way I'm actually kind of relieved.  I've been dragging my feet about actually graduating for a while now and I've already started writing my dissertation so it's not an unreasonable deadline or anything.  Having a real deadline might make me more productive...

At the same time, there's still a bunch of stuff to do so I'm going to be pretty busy.  I really won't have much time for gaming...I'm thinking about locking all my systems up in a closet or something and not touching them for the next 3 months or so.  That might be a good idea, actually...

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5242 on: December 15, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »

My rabbit is getting worse. I think he might actually die this time...
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5243 on: December 15, 2011, 03:58:23 AM »

My rabbit is getting worse. I think he might actually die this time...

Sorry to hear that Tomara. :(

What kind of condition is he in? I hope he gets better instead.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5244 on: December 15, 2011, 04:06:44 AM »

He's in a lot of pain, cause unknown, and he won't eat much as a result. He's getting antibiotics and painkillers, but if he stops eating it will be over soon. Of course I don't want that to happen, but if we can't do anything about the pain, he won't have much of a life anyway... It's so sad to see him like this, he was always so energetic and goofy :(
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5245 on: December 15, 2011, 04:47:37 AM »

Aaaaw, that sounds terrible. I hate it when pets are ill, because you can't tell what's going on in their heads.

I hope he's comfortable at the end (or that the end isn't near at all). :-/

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5246 on: December 15, 2011, 05:10:49 AM »

If it's suffering, put it down.

That's the right thing to do.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5247 on: December 15, 2011, 05:59:35 AM »

Aaaaw, that sounds terrible. I hate it when pets are ill, because you can't tell what's going on in their heads.

I hope he's comfortable at the end (or that the end isn't near at all). :-/

On the contrary, that is precisely the best time to find out what is going on in their heads.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5248 on: December 15, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »

If it's suffering, put it down.

That's the right thing to do.

I know, but if he has a change to live a few more happy years, I want to give him that chance. It's not as if he's old-old, he's more like JRPG-old. As long as he's fighting, I will fight too! Plus, him being gone would be terribly depressing for my other bunny. Bunny doesn't have the greatest personality and sucks at making friends. Finding a new partner would be like winning the lotery.

Chibi looked a little better/happier when I gave him some of his favourite hay.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5249 on: December 15, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »

I like that he has favorite Hay. Hopefully he makes it through this.

I'm excited to see the animals I grew up with again. Cats mostly, all of which are hilarious for different reasons.

Also, my parents wood stove. Definitely going to plant myself next to this when it's roaring with a good book and some beer.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 869 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: