Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 10:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332713 Posts in 13631 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 888 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 696696 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9480 on: May 14, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »

Wow, never expected Germany to be a big consummer in RPGs.
Then again... a lot of FPS some years ago were about shooting nazis... so I guess it makes sense looking at it that way =/
Same thing with Command and Conquer.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:47:48 PM by Annubis » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9481 on: May 14, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »

It probably has to do with German censorship laws. Most violent games are really toned down there or they don't get sold. Most RPGs aren't that blatantly violent.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9482 on: May 14, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »

There are actually a ton of German-made RPGs. Especially during the Amiga era.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9483 on: May 15, 2013, 02:08:35 AM »

Tomorrow I finally get rid of the ingrown-toenail-granuloma disease on my toe and will be free!!  I'm thankful to all holy beings and gods and even whatever the hell Wiccans believe in (nature?) that this didn't happen in the dead of winter when I'd NEED to wear shoes... it hurts like hell just putting sandals on incorrectly.

I've been on percocet since Friday... high as a kite most of the time, and I feel like I've been floating around my house and not so much walking.  I think it's messing my stomach up though.  Yes I *am* high now.
Fwweeeeeeee~!

Had fight with boyfriend.  He's very Eastern European (born there, fluent in English...and no accent thank god, I'd have to make fun of it...err out of love).  He doesn't really talk his feelings out, just sort of shuts them in, and when things go wrong it's hard to figure anything out. We worked it out though, I gave a peace offering of Reece's Cups and Book Store gift card.

Pizza Nova also had a great deal, $4.95 for a Medium w/ Pepperoni, and a dollar goes to charity!!  They had this adorable kid with down-syndrome and a Pizza Nova apron giving the thumbs up. 
We bought two.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9484 on: May 15, 2013, 04:04:28 AM »

I posted here a couple weeks ago about my phone breaking...well, I finally got a new phone!  After spending entirely too much researching what get and reading more phone reviews than I care to count, I settled on something which surprised myself: a Nokia 808.  What's so surprising about that?  It's a Symbian phone!  In fact, it's the last Symbian phone (Nokia announced they wouldn't be making any more after it).  I've never even owned a Symbian phone before so what possessed me to jump on a dead platform all of the sudden...

I don't feel like I set out trying to be difficult.  I was already thinking about a new phone before my old one broke (it was pretty old) and I was completely convinced I was going to get an Android phone.  It wasn't until I started seriously looking at specific Android phones that I just felt unsatisfied with any of the Android options out there.  The phone industry is a weird thing.  You have these extremely expensive high-end devices (most top-of-the-line Android phones are in the $700-800 range if you get them unlocked) which fail miserably in the most basic categories.  They make shitty phone calls (seriously, call quality seems to be the last thing on the minds of most phone manufacturers these days...), are often oversized and awkward to hold, have abysmal battery life, and don't even have decent cameras on them (sure they have lots of mexapixels, but if you don't have the optics to back that up--which they don't--then all that means is that your file size is larger...).  Instead you get crap like 1080p screens...who the heck needs a 1080p screen on a phone?!  These are like 5" screens, tops.  Can the human even even resolve pixels that small?

I started thinking about what I really wanted out of a phone and came up with the following:
Basic phone features - Call quality, comfort and ease of use, battery life.  For Christ sake if I have to recharge the phone more than once in a single day then it's nothing more than a toy.  That is completely unacceptable.
Media player - My phone has long been my primary music player.  Carrying around another device to do that seems downright silly to me.  This does, however, make storage important.  I'm not always going to have an internet connection, I don't want to have to stream things.  I want to be able to carry around my music collect just like I would with a dedicated player.  Also, it had better not kill the battery life too much, see above...
Mail, calendar, web browser, etc. - This is important but it's not really a deciding factor since it's something pretty much every smartphone on the market does.  Still, it needs to be there.
Navigation - This is one application I find genuinely useful on smartphones.  I want maps, I want GPS, I want route finding, I want public transportation information.  And preferably I would like it to be usable offline.
Camera - Like a lot of people I've pretty much stopped carrying around a dedicated camera.  Phone cameras are just too convenient.  I really would prefer, however, that the phone camera not suck.  Which, unfortunately, is too high a bar for a lot of phones.  Why can't a phone camera be both convenient and good?

So how does the 808 fare?

In terms of basic phone features it pretty much destroys most of its Android competitors.  Nokia has always been more of a phone maker than a gadget maker, and it shows.  Call quality is excellent, the build of the phone is perfect, and it's efficient enough through a couple days of normal use (and much longer on standby).  Plus the battery is removable (remember those?) in case it ever starts having problems.

As a media player it's fine.  Doesn't really stand out but it certainly does the job.  It only has 16gb on board but that's expandable with a microSD card and that seems to be pretty much standard these days.

It does lose a few points for the default web browser, which isn't very good.  Still you can get Opera for it so that's hardly the end of the world.  Opera is pretty much the same, regardless of platform.  Still, the screen resolution of the 808 is kind of low which can make some pages hard to read (though the screen is otherwise quite nice, very bright and clear AMOLED), so it's usable but not the best for browsing.

Navigation is great on the 808.  I think a lot of people aren't even aware that Nokia has their own map program, but they do.  This isn't something new or thrown together for a bullet point, it's actually been around for a long time and it's very refined.  It has everything you could want from a map program and a lot of people actually seem to rate it above Google Maps.  As a bonus it's designed to be 100% usable offline, just like a standalone GPS.  Yeah there are ways to try to do that in limited areas with other smartphone map programs, but not the way Nokia Maps does it.  You can download entire countries at a time if you want (and if you have the storage for it).

And then there's the camera.  Oh god, that camera.  I deliberately left this for last because a lot of people dismiss the 808 as a "camera with a phone attached", that kind of thing.  I honestly believe the phone part is great in its own right, but it's not hard to see why somebody might say that.  The camera is sufficiently awesome that it kind of makes everything else seem trivial.  To say that it's the best camera ever put on a phone almost seems like you're putting it down, because it's an order of magnitude better than the second best camera ever put on a phone (which would probably be the one on the Nokia N8, actually, which was the 808's predecessor...).

The 808's camera starts with a physically huge sensor divided into a mind-boggling 41 megapixels.  But wait, wasn't I being dismissive of high megapixel counts earlier?  Actually, the point of the 808's sensor isn't to take 41 megapixel images (which would be unwieldy, to say the least...), but rather to it uses some fancy signal processing software to oversamples the pixels and construct a final image where each pixel in the image is actually coming from multiple pixels on the sensor.  Having more pixels than you need also lets it do a digital zoom that isn't completely worthless.  All of this wouldn't mean much without good optics but with the physically large sensor, Carl Zeiss lens, and xenon (not LED!) flash there isn't much room for complaint.  In fact there wasn't really room for all this camera goodness in a standard thin phone shell, so the camera portion of the phone actually bulges outwards.  I know some people won't like that, but you get used to it pretty quick.  The end result is that while it's probably still no match for a good DSLR, there's finally a phone camera that can compete with even high-end dedicated point-and-shoot cameras.

So in conclusion, if you want a smartphone mainly for web browsing and games then don't get a Nokia 808.  But then, I still have a tablet for that kind of stuff.  I don't feel like a phone form factor was ever really suited for it.  If you want a smartphone for the points I talked about above...well, I seriously don't think you can do much better than the 808.  That's why I decided to jump on board, dead platform or not (and actually the UI on Symbian Belle is pretty slick, I think I might actually like it more than Android).

Wow, I wrote an essay...didn't really plan on it, it just happend...

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9485 on: May 15, 2013, 07:05:08 AM »

Had fight with boyfriend.  He's very Eastern European (born there, fluent in English...and no accent thank god, I'd have to make fun of it...err out of love).  He doesn't really talk his feelings out, just sort of shuts them in, and when things go wrong it's hard to figure anything out. We worked it out though, I gave a peace offering of Reece's Cups and Book Store gift card.

I sympathize. My boyfriend is just the same. I think it's the Irish Catholic thing. If I can clearly see something is bothering him, he will deny it for the whole day until I eventually break him.

"What's wrong?"
"Nothings wrong."
"Oh yeah, no really, what's up."
"Nothings up!"
"It looks like somethings up."
"The only thing that is up is you asking me what is up when nothing is up."
*Hugs boyfriend tenderly, gives speech about how I will always love him no matter what*
"Sigh, fine...someone ate one of my yogurts at work."
"..."
"What?"
"You're upset over yogurt? Why do I even bother."

^ Most fights with my boyfriend. The other fights stem from him being mad I didn't do the dishes.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9486 on: May 15, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »

Last November, I think I posted in here about being medically disqualified (temporarily) from the military. I had to wait until April just to know that I could apply for a waiver, and since April is crunch time in university, I didn't get around to doing anything until last week. Anyway, the reason I got disqualified was because of acid-reflux disease, yet none of the medicines my doctor prescribed worked. On the contrary, they made everything worse. It felt like someone lit a fire in my throat each time I tried taking the medications.

I went to the doctor's office on Monday and now he thinks I may have something else entirely (gluten and lactose intolerance). So now I have to get an ultrasound* to make sure nothing is fucked up with my gallbladder and/or liver and I'll have to see a GI doctor, which means I'll have to redo the waiver process again. Good thing I have until December when I graduate from college.

*I never thought as a guy that I would be saying that I have to get an ultrasound. I always paired that word with the image of a pregnant lady getting an ultrasound.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9487 on: May 15, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »

Woke up at 5am today and for the first time ever on a day off I stayed up and did stuff. Walked to the lake, watched the sunrise, checked out some of the amazing public art in my hood, then hit the gym and now i'm cleaning

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9488 on: May 15, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »

... checked out some of the amazing public art in my hood

Graffiti?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9489 on: May 15, 2013, 07:49:54 PM »

Previous post was vastly less funny in hindsight.

I've eaten dinner at Panera Bread for the past three nights. I don't like Panera, but it's reasonably close to my office. So I eat there.

Sometimes I go to Panera for breakfast on the weekends.

This is my life now.

I think I'll start instagramming my dinner. It'll just be the same picture of a bowl of soup AND MY TEARS every night.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:28:04 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9490 on: May 15, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »

I am Mesh's complete lack of surprise
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9491 on: May 15, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »

Man I just thought of something.

So like, how to train your dragon.

Vikings = Americans.
Dragons = Terrorists.
Queen Dragon that eats everything = Oil.

What I'm saying is we should learn how to ride terrorists because the are adorable and look like cats.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9492 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »

Survived my trip to New York... barely. My Dad has his moments, but for the most part he is completely clueless and makes for a terrible host. Didn't help that I'm broke and he's stingy as hell. I don't know, I was just frustrated by the whole ordeal because it's been so long since I've had a legitimate vacation.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9493 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »

Installed an outdoor water faucet in my backyard today. 14 inches of brick and a 1 inch wide hole to make through it. I gotta say... I will never complain about a jackhammer operator making noise again. 10 minutes on a hammer drill turned my arm into jelly. The reciprocating action of the drill head bouncing back and forth with essentially all my weight behind it centered at my hands and indirectly my elbows. It was not fun, especially after the first bit's head had been nearly worn off completely, making it a very slow process. To add insult to injury, my father who normally wouldn't be so lazy, measured the distance between where the wall ended inside so as to pass through completely incorrectly. I ended drilling into the corner of the house basically instead of the back wall to the water lines, wasting nearly an hour of work and 2 fully charged batteries. Had to go to an old corded hammer drill with no easy to replace the drill bit due to it's chuck not having a proper key. We had to use a couple screwdrivers to manually turn the chuck to grip or release a bit (much harder than it sounds). Essentially 3 hours of drilling through the wall and finally, we finished.

The faucet's pipe was short half an inch.

Thankfully we adapted a small brass coupler onto it so as to make the connection to our water lines, but still....FUCK today was a bitch. Best part is it's just for our whiny landlord who wants it to wash his car easier. We charged him 200 bucks, 100 of it being parts. A contractor would have charged easily triple that.

Question, does my name say "sucker" anywhere under it?

TASTY!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9494 on: May 15, 2013, 11:54:40 PM »

Sent my last paper today for my seminar class. It ended up being around 17 pages...about videogame music! But yeah, that's it...I'm done with college. Now for Graduate School!

Congrats! What you going to grad school for, if you don't mind me asking?

Masters in Music (History) Studies. I'm hoping to focus my attention on 20th Century Music and Video Game Music as a secondary study. With the assistance of my professor in an independent study, I've created a class outline for a videogame music class. For the rest of the summer, I plan on filling it with games to talk about each session/week as well polishing it up, so as to have something substantial to my proposal when I want to teach it as a class.

I'm also hoping to submit performance proposals of video game music I arrange/orchestrate for small/big ensemble when I get there. That's why I'm spending this summer continuing my orchestration studies and notating/arranging/orchestrating any game music I can get some sample scores from. The Dragon Quest soundtracks are great, as they are notated as perfectly as I would want to arrange from (I'm really digging "Let's Join" From Dragon Warrior Monsters 1)

-----

Also, in other news, final grades were sent out....did really well!

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 888 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: