Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 10:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329952 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 877 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 668979 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »

Been taking some awesome pictures, including some of the stars in the night sky. As a lifetime Chicagoan awesome star-filled country skies are incredible to me.

I'll share some pics when I get back.

I'd love to see that. Living in Vancouver I couldn't see much at all. Victoria, you can see more, but my favorite has to be on some random Greek island and you could really see the Milky Way.

I have never tried astrophotography but I feel like I should - since I study astronomy and all. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 06:55:16 PM »

Yeah I live in Chicago too and the night sky si a goddamn stranger to me, which is a shame because I love Astronomy.

Heres a brilliant picture:
http://www.hoedlshaven.com/ADVENTURESINNATURE/DVMARATHON/DeathValleyNightSky.jpg
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 07:35:36 PM »

Been taking some awesome pictures, including some of the stars in the night sky. As a lifetime Chicagoan awesome star-filled country skies are incredible to me.

I'd love to see that. Living in Vancouver I couldn't see much at all. Victoria, you can see more, but my favorite has to be on some random Greek island and you could really see the Milky Way.

I have never tried astrophotography but I feel like I should - since I study astronomy and all. :P

I borrowed my friends SLR but i don't have a remote to use for an exposure longer than 30s. I took some last night (my 1st attempt) and a few turned out great as far as I can tell looking at the preview screen on the camera.

Looking at the sky all the stars look white. In the picture there are some red, blue, and oranges.

It's amazing, you can even see fucking orbiting satelites. I shit you not. From looking at some quick astronomy sites I guess there will also be some comet later this week, nothing as extreme as Haley's thouhg.

The real killer on this trip is that for some reason my PSP won't charge here. I guess Ys 7 will have to wait.... Well good thing I brought my DS and can make some progress in DQ IV and Strange Journey.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 03:49:56 AM »

This is a great pic. I have it on my old desktop... might even have it in color, ha.

I love the hi-es pics/telescopes strong enough where you can see the star's colors. The other week I looked at a binary system through a telescope with a blue and a yellow/orange star. I have yet to see comets and satellites for myself, but what I'd really love to see is a supernova.

....And I just realized I don't have a DS anymore. Fuck. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 12:40:49 AM »

Very underwhelming once I converted it to a jpeg and put it on photobucket. It looks good on the screen in raw and tiff but here you go anyway

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 12:54:18 AM »

Actually, are you kidding, it looks great IMO. I see the Pleiades which I could NEVER see in Vancouver, so when I went to the rooftop at UVic and saw it, I was shocked. :) And Cassiopeia, I think, and... okay I admit it I suck at constellations. Your photo is really good though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 01:01:41 AM »

I'll post another one where there is some planet (you can make out a moon, I'll crop it up and zoom the fuck in).

I want to believe it's mars but we tried looking to see on a astronomy site. No luck there.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 01:09:36 AM »

Here you go!

In the southern sky:

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 01:23:24 AM »

It would have to be Jupiter or Mars. Jupiter is visible throughout the night but apparently Mars is more early..ish evening (it set at 7:23 PM tonight for example). Depends on the time you took the pic, in any case.

By the color I'm inclined to think it's Mars, Jupiter is more pale. But by the three fuzzy things around it, I think Jupiter. Mars has only two moons, and they're small. Jupiter's 4 Galiliean ones can be easily seen when I look through a telescope. It's neat that you can make out moons on your pic too.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 01:41:38 AM »

It would have to be Jupiter or Mars. Jupiter is visible throughout the night but apparently Mars is more early..ish evening (it set at 7:23 PM tonight for example). Depends on the time you took the pic, in any case.

By the color I'm inclined to think it's Mars, Jupiter is more pale. But by the three fuzzy things around it, I think Jupiter. Mars has only two moons, and they're small. Jupiter's 4 Galiliean ones can be easily seen when I look through a telescope. It's neat that you can make out moons on your pic too.

I probably took the pics at 9 or 10.

Thanks for your input! While these are hardly remarkable pictures compared to what you can find in 1s on google it was a ton of fun to take a picture of the night sky and I think this is a good 1st attempt.

Now I'm back in gloomy, hazy old Chicago.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »

No prob :) Don't forget that the stuff you find on Google is most often taken by the really big telescopes - Hubble, Keck, Gemini, etc. So it's gonna be hard to get photos as good as those, haha. I enjoyed looking at yours though.

Last week I saw Andromeda, which honestly, I thought was a global cluster at first. Also saw something that was two binary systems orbiting each other, which was completely weird, but cool. And finally checked out the huge new telescope at UVic. That thing is incredible.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 02:18:15 AM »

You can get amazing pictures with smaller telescopes and cameras, but you need long exposure times.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »

long exposure time isn't necessarily the answer. Even w/ 30s exposure time there's some motion blur from the rotation of the earth.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »

Exactly what Yoda said. Which in itself makes for neat pictures

But you still won't get Hubble/Keck etc. quality.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 12:43:59 AM »

Or:

Just dug out a big asshole in the back my parents house. Hard asswork.

Seriously dude...

TMI

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 877 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: