Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 11:17:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341217 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 923 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 764044 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: February 19, 2011, 02:48:55 AM »

Boy I'm sure glad Dice did good on her test.

I don't know if you mean that jokingly, humbly, or seriously.  But I'm sorry your piss test took... everything you had in ya.... HAH!  But seriously, had that problem once, it took me 40 minutes to produce anything (after 10 minutes of nothing, I think it was the pressure that did me in)... I think, I dunno, this was like 15 years ago, and I think I started crying because I felt like I was hassling the doctor's schedule.  ...what a stupid story to admit to...

It's Reading Week! \(^^)/

I KNOWWW!!!!! \ (˚Д˚ )|
Im making love to my pillow, and cuddling with my blankets like it's no one's business.

I'm glad you did good on your exam Dice, because I had less luck... had a comparative anatomy exam this morning and uhmm.. I was doing great until the 20 point (out of 100) question which ididnotfuckingknow. My memory is usually so freakishly reliable but for the cock of me I could not fucking draw a cross section of a chordate embryo... well anyway, I doubt I got much than an 80. Not too worried about it though cuz the lab practical was right after and I assraped it even though it was actually way harder in the scheme of things. I know some shit about skeletal structures you best believe.

The one time I failed a drug test was for what would have been the funniest job ever, tutoring high school students in bio for $10.50/hr (summer job) with just me, Scoop Jardin and Onuaku (SU b-ball stars). Did not expect the drug test at all. Failed. I wonder how those dumbass jocks taught kids bio without me. lol

I feel like the world is getting a better grade than I am - everyone here seems to get no less than 80's (my prestigious nose-in-the-air-uni makes me happy to be doing better than the class average most of the time though - so I don't feel too bad).  Sorry it didn't go well, but I'm sure you'll pull through.  If you're in the post-secondary position you're in right now, I'm guessing it's not because you've slacked off - you'll be fine. =)

Thanks for the drug-test pointer.  I'm actually going for the EXACT same position as a tutoring summer student.  So, I'll make sure I lay off d'herb (at least I'll be off school, so less need to "relax" in a sense).

Which reminds me, had a few tokes with the buds after mid-terms. It was nice.  

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2011, 02:56:59 AM »

I feel like the world is getting a better grade than I am - everyone here seems to get no less than 80's (my prestigious nose-in-the-air-uni makes me happy to be doing better than the class average most of the time though - so I don't feel too bad).

Weird thing. I consistently never felt like I knew what I was doing in my CS or math classes at BGSU. As a result I would usually have Cs around midterms. By the END of the semester I'd have an A, generally. Never got anything less than a B.

No idea how I managed to pull that off.

I wish I still cared about things, academically speaking. Like technically my plans right now are 'finish prereqs for graduate program I want to go into' but really i'm like fuck that I'm getting a job next year then just conveniently forgetting I ever wanted to go to gradschool in the first place.

I think I just hate college in general. I don't really know how I feel anymore, about a lot of things.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »

Heh - I'm almost the same way.  I've had three years of post grad and got a diploma.  Nothing worse than starting university as a 22 year old with 4 years to go still.  I know it's for the best, and I'll be getting a wicked education (I hope it's enough)... but it's so tiring.  I had trouble getting into it my first semester, I was lazy and unmotivated to start back, well, the "start".  I'm working through it though - beats looking for a job with just a diploma. Even 22 seemed a bit young to start a career!!  I want my education (just wish I had more money for it)!!

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: February 19, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »

Heh - I'm almost the same way.  I've had three years of post grad and got a diploma.  Nothing worse than starting university as a 22 year old with 4 years to go still.  I know it's for the best, and I'll be getting a wicked education (I hope it's enough)... but it's so tiring.  I had trouble getting into it my first semester, I was lazy and unmotivated to start back, well, the "start".  I'm working through it though - beats looking for a job with just a diploma. Even 22 seemed a bit young to start a career!!  I want my education (just wish I had more money for it)!!

There are plenty things worse than being 22 and going to college. TRUST ME.

I've made some bad moves in my early 20s. Well as it stands I'm finally on track (if this job comes through. it looks good) and I'm going to go back to school part time starting in the summer in a program for working adults. (I'm an adult?!)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: February 19, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »

There are plenty things worse than being 22 and going to college. TRUST ME.
I've made some bad moves in my early 20s. Well as it stands I'm finally on track (if this job comes through. it looks good) and I'm going to go back to school part time starting in the summer in a program for working adults. (I'm an adult?!)

Haha true enough, can't imagine what *you* have done in your early 20's.  You already confess to smoking ganja on some sort of basis (drinking aside for now).

I hope the job does come through though!! :D

Right now I'm being lazy before work, reading some comics (my bud let me borrow an Iron Man one - it's brilliantly drawn) and probably gonna clean a bit.  Yay!

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: February 19, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »

I didn't do anything bad in that sense, just picked a career i didn't like and went to an expensive engineering school for a few years before I realized I was hating the field but loving the good drunken times. (still paying that off)

then i decided I wanted to be a cop. took the chicago police exam. going through that took years. then they told me I failed the psych exam. Which is bullshit (seriously, it was supposed to be a 45 min interview w/ a psychologist or someone. I walked in, they confirmed who I was, then told me to get lost.) excuse to not hire anyone they don't want. For those not in the know CPD is basically only hiring minority candidates, which is funny since us white people are the minority in chicago (both as citizens and government employees)

Then FINALLY I decided on nursing. That was one year of pre-reqs, two years of schooling, then after I graduated it took me a damn year to land a job. And that's where I am today.

On the plus side, I'm in the best shape of my life, have a great +1, and a finally into a career that I like and in a few years will be making awesome money w/ decent hours.

Wow I didn't think I'd give my life story there.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »

@ College more:

Majored in CS, graduated in May, hate computers and CS now. Still in college since I had like 12k put away from some relatives that could *only* be used on school. Vaguely going through the motions of trying to get into grad school; planning on just getting a job for next year and being all WELPS THIS PAYS TOO MUCH, BETTER SKIP THE GRAD SCHOOL. Realizing graduate program I was interested in isn't that interesting either.

I feel like a lot of academia is just pretension and artifice. This school is very research oriented but a lot of the theoretical linguistics stuff I'm seeing just looks like navel gazing to me. I'm not interested in research and papers and mental masturbation for the sake of getting citations. I want to actually DO shit.

Thing is I'm sort of worried my CS degree has set me up for a job in some sort of corporate clusterfuck where... things aren't going to really be any different. In terms of the pretension and artifice and whatever. At least I'd be getting paid for that though. IT stuff is a pretty oversaturated field in general. And at least I double-majored in Russian so that'll help me stand out.

idk honestly I sort of want to get a job, if it's a job doing IT work, for some sort of agriculture/horticulture company.

tl;dr version: I need a job, how do you find a job?

o/` I do not dream o/`

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: February 19, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »

I feel like a lot of academia is just pretension and artifice.

This, a hundred times over. I'm pretty sick of citations and elaborate bibliographies right now. I comprehend the necessity to read and process established ideas/theories but this is bordering ridiculous. There's so little space for personal thought development.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: February 19, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »

This, a hundred times over. I'm pretty sick of citations and elaborate bibliographies right now. I comprehend the necessity to read and process established ideas/theories but this is bordering ridiculous. There's so little space for personal thought development.

Haha, gotta love Uni papers, you retort by regurgitating the same bullshit all over. 
One thing I will NEVER understand is self-plagiarism.  I can't believe it exists...
I hate Chicago citation the most - it takes me a few hours to make sure it's done perfectly well, worst is my reference website (the official website) won't show all resources and how to cite them individually unless you pay a fucking fee. 

My history course apparently changes it's "theme" every semester.  This semester we are learning about Food Histories.  DO YOU KNOW HOWFUCKING HARD IT IS TO READ READ READ AND READ ABOUT FOOD WITHOUT EATING IT????? ˚д˚... very!
Anyways, it's super dumb.  We had to research a Canadian Cookbook from 1898 for our first assignment.  I walked away with knowledge I will never need to reference back to.... But at least I know "How to Draw a Fowl".... x(

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: February 19, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »

Also in linguistics class we had to read about markedness, even though markedness is unscientific and bullshit. But you have to know it because it's used everywhere.

WTF?

See this is sort of hard. As I said OSU is pretty research oriented. The field of linguistics is pretty research oriented. I am not used to this because I majored in Russian and CS at a... school that wasn't even remotely research oriented. So my standard method of "use wikipedia for everything then cite Wikipedia's sources" isn't really working that well for me anymore.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »

What linguistics class are you taking? (It's my major)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: February 19, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »

So I applied for a leave so that I can do some interviews/job hunts. My attending lodged a formal complaint to block my application, citing that I didn't do enough work to warrant a leave. The board took a look at my performance record and saw that I've done twice the work of almost any other intern. They then proceeded to laugh in his face and gave me an extra week off.

Sometimes life can be pretty cool.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »

What linguistics class are you taking? (It's my major)

Phonological theory. It's mostly done nothing except convince me that I like morphology a lot more than phonology. And I think I don't like super-theoretical stuff anyway.

Supposed to be doing a paper on neighborhood effects. Trying to narrow the topic down some. No idea where I'm going with that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:59:51 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2011, 12:55:52 AM »

I *hated* phonology

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: February 20, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »

I *hated* phonology

I dropped Linguistics... =/

It was great - but the teachers and TA's were useless...
One thing I loved though was the amount of foreign students who took it thinking it'd improve their english.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 923 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: