Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 12:51:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329212 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 875 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 660230 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5025 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:50 AM »

Your crap won't be so holy then, will it?

I've got a problem. A romcom-worthy problem. There's this guy I've been best friends with for years. We're coworkers too. We spend more than a little time together, but just as friends and colleagues. Now he's invited me to go to Paris with him. His connections got him free accomodations, so I all have to pay for are my trainticket and food. It's a great oppurtunity as I've never been to Paris. On the other hand, he's male, I'm female, ten years ago he was in love with me (it was a very awkward love triangle), I said no, he has had other girlfriends after that, but now he's single. I'm not in love with him, I pray he's not in love with me and never will be.

I think I'm sure we're just going as friends, but it's been proven time and after time that I know nothing about that stuff.

There are some practical problems too. My French is absolutely horrible and all attempts to improve it have ended in disaster. The French aren't known for their English. This means I will have to depend on him a lot, because he does speak French (and is in fact near fluent). I don't like that. I'll also have to look for someone to bunnysit. I hate having to ask my mom to watch the two again. It's inconvenient for her.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5026 on: November 30, 2011, 03:24:46 AM »

Say something innocuous like "you can have the bed in the hotel, I'll use the sofa/cot/etc" and see what he says
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5027 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35:22 AM »

Body language also helps.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5028 on: November 30, 2011, 03:43:54 AM »

Body language also helps.

Cross your arms/waist the entire time!

I have a friend like that too, Tomara... the bum even faked a phone call to say he was going on a date with someone in attempts to make me jealous or something.  We've patched things up, and nothing would make me happier than to reciprocate feelings of someone who does (I guess) love/adore you... if you felt the same.  Not easy.  But I think go, it's Paris and it'll be amazing. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5029 on: November 30, 2011, 04:52:30 AM »

Say something innocuous like "you can have the bed in the hotel, I'll use the sofa/cot/etc" and see what he says

I already insisted on having my own room. Whenever we travel together we have seperate rooms and this time shouldn't be any different.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5030 on: November 30, 2011, 04:56:18 AM »

tell him you have a BF named YODA and he's big and mean.

eat some baguettes and profit
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5031 on: November 30, 2011, 07:35:48 AM »

Is Paris a big deal for you? It's kind of a dream destination of mine, so I would go no matter the circumstances. However, if you're not all that attached to the idea, pass up on the potentially awkward situation.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5032 on: November 30, 2011, 07:42:31 AM »

You should go Tomara. You will regret it if you don't. I'm sure you will have a great time. I don't know if he will get the wrong idea if you accept his invitation but you guys seem to be good friends and if he does like you, just having your company will be good enough.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5033 on: November 30, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »

I'd rather go to a quaint town in the country side in France than Paris.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5034 on: November 30, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »

My friend and I are starting to plan a European backpacking trip. We want to hit Spain, France, and Italy. It would be cool to check out Berlin, too.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5035 on: November 30, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »

Berlin is great! So much history, so much culture. Great place to shop too, if you're into that (and if not, check out KaDeWe anyway, that place is crazy!).

I kind of want to recommend Amsterdam because I'm Dutch, but I can't think of anything nice to say about it. Well, it has some interesting musea, I guess... Oh well, if you happen to find yourself in the Netherlands and you like meat, find a store called 'HEMA' and ask for a 'rookworst'.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: November 30, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »

Me too - my friends who have spent time in France all say that the Parisians are extremely rude to visitors (even the well-behaved, non-drunk kind of visitor), but that people outside of Paris are very cool.  :(

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: November 30, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »

Berlin is great! So much history, so much culture. Great place to shop too, if you're into that (and if not, check out KaDeWe anyway, that place is crazy!).

I kind of want to recommend Amsterdam because I'm Dutch, but I can't think of anything nice to say about it. Well, it has some interesting musea, I guess... Oh well, if you happen to find yourself in the Netherlands and you like meat, find a store called 'HEMA' and ask for a 'rookworst'.

I LOVE ROOKWURST

I have a Dutch parent. I went to Amsterdam a few years ago actually en route to Greece, it was great. Wasn't there long, but the climate reminded me a lot of home and I brought back a lot of souvenirs. Only complaint was we ate at Burger King (after three weeks of me refusing to eat at McDs in Athens, ha). How unexciting.

Also I forgot to have coffee this morning. I'm not sure why. I never forget coffee. :(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 02:38:36 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5038 on: November 30, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »

Haven't posted here in a while.

As to the Paris thing:

How bad do you want to go? And how hard would it be to go another time? Those are really the two deciding factors I'd think. If it's so awkward that the possibility of tension will ruin the experience, then there is nothing in it to regret. At the end of the day (well, barring some major catastrophe) Paris will still be there. I'm sure you'll come to the right decision as you ruminate some more.

Me too - my friends who have spent time in France all say that the Parisians are extremely rude to visitors (even the well-behaved, non-drunk kind of visitor), but that people outside of Paris are very cool.  :(

Do BOTH! I've been to Paris. Fuck what anyone says. Paris is an awesome place. The feel of the city is amazing. I had a great experience there and would say just be open to it. Yes, people will be rude, but not to the detriment of your experience. Didn't happen to me anyway. Then again I'm from NYC. I'm surrounded by nasty, self-centered people every day.

And I can think of something nice to say about Amsterdam, it's a great in-between city during a Eurotrip. I think that, and Brussels were my favorite in that regard. Amsterdam is full of tourists and everyone speaks American English, and it totally caters to that crowd of hedonistic tourism, which can be kind of nice for a day or two. And yeah, they do have some really neat museums around. I remember going into this torture museum that was pretty awesome. The Anne Frank house sucks though. They charge way too much money to go up and see an attic. I don't care how significant that room is, the story is enough to carry the weight.

Anyways...in my haps:

Finally settled every single thing for graduation. Feels damn good. Now I need to find me a grown folk job. Feels damn not so good. Been looking into any kinds of jobs related to writing and literature in NYC. Damn hard. Also looking into any volunteer positions at places that do events and stuff just as a way of saying, "hey look at me". Also going to apply for some Teach English type jobs in Korea and see if I can go there and further my language studies. So lots of options, just need someone to bite and start giving me an income. Also joined something of a Writer's Workshop a friend of a friend started up. The start kind of fell apart slightly because of some outside factors but was otherwise cool. Always nice to bring together a group of writers united under the goal of furthering their craft. Hopefully this weekend we'll get the ball rolling a bit more. And most exciting is my chance at being published in a new online journal that another friend of a friend started. I'd be reviewing a book. The journal is definitely going to be a powerhouse and is backed by some of the elite of the elite in the literary world. If this works out it'd be a huge boon for me. Now I just need to not fuck up school for the next two weeks!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5039 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »

Paris is one of the most amazing cities in the world.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 875 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: