Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 09:58:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329365 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 876 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 662069 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7410 on: September 02, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »

It's getting all sorts of superiority complex up in here.

Anyway, Dr. Who tonight. Fuck yeah! I actually never even knew it was back until I saw the ad on TV a few days ago. I have a mango and passion fruit yogurt to eat along with it. Mmm.

I am well aware of how I come off, but I can't see another side to it. I really can't. The parents may not necessarily be shitty all the time, but in this case they most assuredly are. If it makes me a judgmental asshole for saying it, so be it. I think people need to be called out on their bad decisions more often. We seem to be a society overly concerned about offending each other. I'm more concerned about the repercussions of a spoiled generation.

This was the first time I actually watched Doctor Who when it aired. It's been all dvd or streaming on my own time with no commercials. Commercials sucks. So does editing the American broadcast. I wonder what I missed. Anyway, wrong thread for that.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7411 on: September 02, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »

Anyway, Dr. Who tonight. Fuck yeah! I actually never even knew it was back until I saw the ad on TV a few days ago. I have a mango and passion fruit yogurt to eat along with it. Mmm.

I am well aware of how I come off, but I can't see another side to it. I really can't. The parents may not necessarily be shitty all the time, but in this case they most assuredly are. If it makes me a judgmental asshole for saying it, so be it. I think people need to be called out on their bad decisions more often. We seem to be a society overly concerned about offending each other. I'm more concerned about the repercussions of a spoiled generation.

You are being judgmental... but I won't say an asshole. Playing adult-oriented games I get, but the TV bit isn't too big a deal; maybe it was just a "something fun and different" to do that day.

Work today, feelin' blue and sad and no one around to reach out to (half the battle being I'm stuck at work with a bunch of wieners). To top it off, I sorta lost a friend over the summer.  Joy. :P
Ah well, when you're at a low point, you only go up, yeah? :O

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7412 on: September 02, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »

Playing videogames on a TV outside is redneckish, but not necessarily spoiled. Cut the holier-than-thou attitude. I'm sure you've done plenty of things that other people would call you a bad parent for.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7413 on: September 02, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »

Mundane status update time. At the family gathering at mi casa, it was very amusing watching two of my 8 year-old nephews playing video games together. One of them is a "dive in, attack first, ask questions later" kid whereas the other one likes to strategize his course of action beforehand.   Next time they're over, I gotta get them to beat the first boss in Sonic 2 in two-player mode to unlock Phantasy Star in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (for PS3). 

And Grim, this is for you:

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20060422

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7414 on: September 02, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »

You are being judgmental... but I won't say an asshole. Playing adult-oriented games I get, but the TV bit isn't too big a deal; maybe it was just a "something fun and different" to do that day.

Nope. I've now seen them doing it at least 3 or 4 times.

Playing videogames on a TV outside is redneckish, but not necessarily spoiled. Cut the holier-than-thou attitude. I'm sure you've done plenty of things that other people would call you a bad parent for.
I never said I was a perfect parent. Far from it. I am simply honing in on this one activity. The parents may be great otherwise, but obviously not in this regard. It's completely idiotic.  I say spoiled because the parents didn't tell them no. My kid would never even think to ask for such a thing. He thinks it's ridiculous too. There is no other side to this.

The first two panels do not represent me in any way. I am a very loving parent, and get along just fine with most kids.
I give the guy credit for telling it like it is. I honestly do think there are people who truly need to hear it.

Playing:
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7415 on: September 02, 2012, 06:35:48 PM »

And who gives a shit if they play COD? My god I saw most of the ultraviolent 80s action movies as a kid and I turned out alright.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7416 on: September 02, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »

Grim, I know the first two panels are kinda mean and all, but it was the last two panels that I thought of when you recalled the story.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7417 on: September 02, 2012, 08:42:22 PM »

And who gives a shit if they play COD? My god I saw most of the ultraviolent 80s action movies as a kid and I turned out alright.
Seriously, Yoda? Really? You're OK with a 9-year of playing an M rated game? Come on, man. I saw all sorts of crazy violent action movies in my formative years, too. So what? Doesn't make it right. Maybe kids should actually stay kids for awhile. Keep some of the innocence as long as possible. Once the real world sets in, then that's it. I in no way want to shelter them from reality. I just think it needs to be paced a bit. Even without M-rated games and R rated movies, they are exposed to plenty of violence. TV, internet, etc. Maybe they shouldn't be going home and blasting surprisingly life-like people for hours on end. Seems common sense to me.
Whatever. This is obviously pointless. You all get back to me when you're 10 years older and have kids of your own.

Playing:
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7418 on: September 02, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »

:/ Well...I guess this has reached an impasse, so lets just leave it.

Right now I'm eating a lunchable and watching Madoka Magica. Life is grand.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7419 on: September 02, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »

You all get back to me when you're 10 years older and have kids of your own.

Haha, sorry but that's kinda of a shitty attitude to have.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7420 on: September 02, 2012, 11:06:14 PM »

Start teaching classes on the 10th. Finally get to start teaching adults.

Really looking forward to it!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7421 on: September 03, 2012, 03:59:39 AM »

saw this band, so good.
http://youtu.be/C5-ISF904ac

Seriously, Yoda? Really? You're OK with a 9-year of playing an M rated game? Come on, man. I saw all sorts of crazy violent action movies in my formative years, too. So what? Doesn't make it right. Maybe kids should actually stay kids for awhile. Keep some of the innocence as long as possible. Once the real world sets in, then that's it. I in no way want to shelter them from reality. I just think it needs to be paced a bit. Even without M-rated games and R rated movies, they are exposed to plenty of violence. TV, internet, etc. Maybe they shouldn't be going home and blasting surprisingly life-like people for hours on end. Seems common sense to me.
Whatever. This is obviously pointless. You all get back to me when you're 10 years older and have kids of your own.

Ended that the douchiest way you possibly could. Excellent work. And fortunately for the world not all of us care to measure success in life on weather or not we have kids.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:35:03 AM by Yoda » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7422 on: September 03, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »

saw this band, so good.
http://youtu.be/C5-ISF904ac

Ended that the douchiest way you possibly could. Excellent work. And fortunately for the world not all of us care to measure success in life on weather or not we have kids.

Whoa whoa! I was going to be done with this, but it seems you've taken my final statement the wrong way. It has absolutely nothing to do with success. Where the heck did you get that idea? I was simply conceding that I am obviously at a different place in life than a lot of you, therefore you may not get where I'm coming from. Having as kid DOES change your viewpoint on things. A LOT. I probably would have agreed with a lot of the responses here 12 years ago. That's all I'm saying. I have no clue where you got any success out of that. Heck, man, for the most part I could take or leave children. I totally get people who prefer to not have them. Personal choice. I would never equate success with age or having kids.
Moving on...

Playing:
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7423 on: September 03, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »

Chill, 'fanners. When you have kids or teach kids, you do become a little judgmental. In a good way.

I'm of the mindset the outside tv thing is redneckish but not horrible. Now a 9 year old playing a MA game...No. Just no. I already have kids mimicking gun battles based off stuff they saw on TV and they get suspended for it. Half just don't know any better.

You don't need to show your kids MA games, parents. YOU REALLY DON'T.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7424 on: September 03, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »

Kids get suspended for mimicking gun battles? Like, invisible gun whilst making "pow-pow-pow" noises?

Poor kids.

I was never big into guns as a kid, but invisible sword/lightsaber battles were common. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 876 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: