Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341040 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 923 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 761182 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8340 on: December 17, 2012, 02:20:30 PM »

In regards to desert walker's post, I looked at that anita sarkeesian video, and I want to ask this...

In all the time most of us have played video games, and all the groups of people we've been affiliated with, how often is a woman actually attacked for being a girl playing a video game? Seriously, on video game forums, you see guys offering to do things for them in games (Phantasy Star Universe comes to mind), in games I generally see internet paladins crusading to defend girls from nerds who are overly attentive (offering to power level, get items, offer boosting, etc), but RARELY do I see any harassment outside of the occasional pic request. Even here, I've seen little to no objectification of the ladies, though Yoda and Dice do get a little borderline pervy. I'm accusing this lady of it, but do you think that maybe some of this excessive harassment is trumped up for attention? If a feminist has no cause, she's basically just a whiny lady... But if some "heathen" assaults her, everyone is up in arms to help her out.

Personally, I'm all for what she's talking about. Women get a serious bum rap in most games, and when they're supposed to be taken seriously, you get someone like Lightning who's just a male narcissist with an awesome figure for most of the game, essentially being what you're fighting against. However, my experience playing games and being submerged in video game culture has lead me to believe that situations like hers are the minority, not the majority.

Inb4"D's sexist!?"

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8341 on: December 17, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »

Need some advice quick folks..... it is driving me nuts... I took two different pictures of a piece I did that was too big to capture via scan.... I'm not happy with either....

Which of these two look better (not that either look particularly good.... sorry to be a debbie downer but I get pissed when I don't get decent portfolio shots...)  .... One has less clarity but better lighting (obviously)...

or..........

Thank you, by the way, to anyone who helps resolve this decision for me.... it bothers me something FIERCE!!!.... 

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8342 on: December 17, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »

In all the time most of us have played video games, and all the groups of people we've been affiliated with, how often is a woman actually attacked for being a girl playing a video game?

Really depends on where you hang out. I've had some bad experiences myself, but only about half of them were caused by actual gamers. Back in middle/high school there where many people who didn't approve of my hobbies. I've had teachers tell me I do more feminine things, like worshipping boybands. Nowadays there are still people who think it's weird that a girl plays games, but like I said, that's mostly people who couldn't tell you the difference between Animal Crossing and Halo.

As for actual gamers, it's usually the guys who don't have much other than games. They usually cling together on forums about specific 'manly' titles or something completely obscure and Japanese. Easy to avoid. I normally only run into the type when they're behind the counter at some gameshop. They're obnoxious and might even seem intimidating when a lot of them gather in one spot but they're harmless as long as you remember most of them are insecure and just trying to defend what they feel is a safe place. From my experience, the best way to deal with them is to remain nice and polite (while kicking their ass).

They're not the problem. The problem is a more subtle sexism that has been a part of games for a long time. Like you said, gaming could use more and better female characters.

I'm accusing this lady of it, but do you think that maybe some of this excessive harassment is trumped up for attention?

Yep, it is. The guys who do the harassing are often just teenagers trying to talk big. Girls are often a minority, so they seem like easy targets. It's annoying, but this type is harmless. Crusading against them just makes female gamers look bad.

And you know what else isn't helping? Professional female gamers who constantly pander to their 'fans', promoting the idea that female gamers are all sexy models (instead of, you know, regular people). The ones I talked to all meant well, but they're essentiale seeking approval from the guys. Kind of like entering the clubhouse, but acknowledging it is, and will always be, the boys' clubhouse.

Which of these two look better (not that either look particularly good.... sorry to be a debbie downer but I get pissed when I don't get decent portfolio shots...)  .... One has less clarity but better lighting (obviously)...

Portfolio? Wow, that looks amazing! I don't know anything about this stuff, but I prefer the second one. It looks softer and I think that suits the image better. Aside from the fish on the right, it didn't really lose any of the fine details.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8343 on: December 17, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »

Pfft, what do you know, you're just a girl. Get back in the kitchen and make some babies.

*gigglesnort*

TASTY!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8344 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »

I come in to work today to plywood over my window. There was a crack in the glass, and it was supposed to be fixed Friday, but it didn't happen. They tell me tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm considering drawing a picture and taping it on there.
A bunch of people at work are sick. Hopefully I can avoid it.

Opposite for me.  I'm the only one sick and I'm trying real hard not to get anyone else sick.  I think I have Bronchitis, most likely. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8345 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »

Get back in the kitchen and make some babies.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8346 on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »

In regards to desert walker's post, I looked at that anita sarkeesian video, and I want to ask this...

In all the time most of us have played video games, and all the groups of people we've been affiliated with, how often is a woman actually attacked for being a girl playing a video game? Seriously, on video game forums, you see guys offering to do things for them in games (Phantasy Star Universe comes to mind), in games I generally see internet paladins crusading to defend girls from nerds who are overly attentive (offering to power level, get items, offer boosting, etc), but RARELY do I see any harassment outside of the occasional pic request.

I have no objection to your ideas generally speaking, but I do want to riff off of some of your thoughts.  First I'll note that way back in the day when I was playing Halo 2 on X-Box Live that there was a ridiculous amount of unwanted flirtation with women and AHMYGODAGIRL type shit.  This is a more harmless example since he didn't take it beyond trying to 'friend' people on X-Box Live but one fellow that was sometimes in my game had an OMGISTHATAGIRL reaction every time a creature with a high-pitched voice entered the room.  A girl I later met in college told me that she and other girls she knew who played Halo had been e-stalked by guys on X-Box Live and it reached a point where it really creeped them out. (Dudes constantly sending friend requests, sending private voice messages hitting on them and wanting to know ASL, that kind of shit.) 

Essentially, their problem was the internet version of the developer who didn't like going to conventions because she had been groped at one.  (I'm guessing that convention wasn't in the south, otherwise the groper would probably have been thoroughly beaten by a group of Redneck Nerds if she had made an issue of it.  But I digress.)  While that's not the sort of 'EWWW, A GIRL, YOU SUCK' type stuff that was Sarkeesian's primary focus it is a problem, and I would argue a more serious one than the 'YOU SUCK, CHICKS' attitude.

Even here, I've seen little to no objectification of the ladies, though Yoda and Dice do get a little borderline pervy.

Just to be fair, I think you're grabbing at a pretty high-hanging fruit when you use this particular board as an example.  I think we can all agree that we have a pretty sharp crowd here, and behavior can be a bit more base at gaming message boards/sites/chat rooms with a broader appeal.  Hell, just read through the IGN comment thread and you'll see what I mean.  Much of it is the intellectual equivalent of reading YouTube comments.  

I'm accusing this lady of it, but do you think that maybe some of this excessive harassment is trumped up for attention?

This is entirely possible.

And you know what else isn't helping? Professional female gamers who constantly pander to their 'fans', promoting the idea that female gamers are all sexy models (instead of, you know, regular people). The ones I talked to all meant well, but they're essentiale seeking approval from the guys. Kind of like entering the clubhouse, but acknowledging it is, and will always be, the boys' clubhouse.

Thank you for this.  One thing that bothers me (and has for a while) is that whenever I see a professional 'gamer girl' that isn't behind a pen (writing a review or essay), I always have to wonder if this girl is really a gamer or just some random good looking model the magazine/TV channel is paying to fake an interest in video games to help draw in horny idiots.  It bothers me partially because I can't help but feel used if the people I'm trusting to provide me with information group me in with idiots and use manipulative bullshit like that as a marketing trick to get my attention and partly because, as you noted, it promotes a damaging stereotype.*  I know that there are plenty of serious girl gamers out there who aren't just looking for the attention of men, but I also know there are other guys who find it easier to fall back on misogynistic stereotypes and assume that they're all just eye-candy.  As you noted, it gives the impression that they're just spending time in the boys' clubhouse.  

*To their credit, IGN started a podcast called 'Girlfight' where the female staff members could get together and shoot the shit.  That kind of thing definitely helps humanize 'gamer girls'.  Unfortunately the podcast stopped about a year ago.

Klyde:  I prefer the first one.  The harder light provides a sort of intangible quality that is appealing, a sort of glow or aura for lack of a better term.  Amazing technique, by the way.  So...that makes one for #1 and one for #2.  Flip a coin?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:06:39 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8347 on: December 17, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »

Also prefer the first one. Light is SLIGHTLY brownish, which... idk, works. Second one looks washed out.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8348 on: December 17, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »

Klyde, the first one with the contrast in lighting better shows off the detail IMO...but I do have to ask, WTF is the tattoo about?

Everything's Eventual
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8349 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »

Thank you for this.  One thing that bothers me (and has for a while) is that whenever I see a professional 'gamer girl' that isn't behind a pen (writing a review or essay), I always have to wonder if this girl is really a gamer or just some random good looking model the magazine/TV channel is paying to fake an interest in video games to help draw in horny idiots.

The truth is often somewhere in the middle. Like usual, being attractive is a good way to get attention, getting attention is the best way to keep yourself in the spotlight and being in the spotlight is the way to get jobs and sponsors. So that's what many pros do. They act the part the male audience wants them to play, because that will guarantee they can stay in the business. If you don't think you change the system, make it work for you, right?  In a way it's pretty smart, so I can't really dislike them. I just wish there was something to balance it out.

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8350 on: December 18, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »

Klyde, the first one with the contrast in lighting better shows off the detail IMO...but I do have to ask, WTF is the tattoo about?

First off, before I answer, let me just say I'm happy to hear your well my friend.... I was just reading back a page or two and saw the news about your accident.... Happy to hear you made it through unscaved.... The world needs more "bytors".... not less

As for your question, this won't become a tattoo actually... This was a commissioned piece by one of my clients illustrating the 3 most important placements in his girlfriends natal birth chart.... a tricky project because I only had a limited knowledge of birth charts and horroscopes before.... but that is often the fun of it for me! As I get weird projects I learn a ton about stuff I would otherwise never care to look into otherwise.... Any-hoo the female represents virgo (her sun sign and chart ruler) and is the only zodiacal sign represented by a female (so the visual choice for me was obvious)..... next we have the fish for pisces (her rising sign) and I chose to go with marigolds for leo (one of the more commonly associated flowers with the sign)...

I did the this strange juxtaposed arrangement of the graphic elements to give it a poster-display or cover-art type feel whilst trying my best to avoid anything that would make it read "tacky and cliche zodiac poster from the mall" (in other words, I didn't want to cheese-out and use suns and moons and stars and whatnot). The result IMO.... strange.... The client loves it..... that is all that matters :)

Now as for tattoos I did one pretty cool foot piece this week.... But I wanted to tie up some "loose-ends" in one more session before I tossed er' up on the board here.... but the thing about that is, there is never any telling when your gonna get someone back in the chair for such things as people tend to disappear once they feel their piece is done in spite of my wishes-LoL...... so here it is anyhow.... A little yoshi for ya!!

This girl had the tiniest foot ever BTW.... I had to reduce the size of my initial drawing by like 40%, cut out some coin blocks and now I think I require stronger prescription eye-ware after this piece-LoL

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8351 on: December 18, 2012, 04:38:07 PM »

What the fuck is going on?

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8352 on: December 19, 2012, 01:01:15 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GA7QQtkSy4o# Skyrim mods. NSFW because of the blood. Not safe for sanity because the...

Actually just watch it it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8353 on: December 20, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »

What the fuck is going on?

man, i ask myself that all the time.... and i never seem to get an conclusive or straight answer....

Triscal-Goddess / PSN

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8354 on: December 20, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »

I need $1000.  Who needs someone murdered? :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 923 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: