Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 01:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334852 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 900 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 718166 times)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8970 on: March 15, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »

Tunnels: Blue coins are just... price reduction coupons you get by buying stuff on gamersgate. You get some percentage of what you pay back in blue coins. Think frequent flyer miles.

The blue coin system isn't an EA thing.

Oh okay, my bad then.

But still, poor Germany!
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8971 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »

Tunnels: Blue coins are just... price reduction coupons you get by buying stuff on gamersgate. You get some percentage of what you pay back in blue coins. Think frequent flyer miles.

The blue coin system isn't an EA thing.

Oh okay, my bad then.

But still, poor Germany!

Hahaha

Also, Lovecraft <3
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8972 on: March 15, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »

Still. Weird that the germany thing is cheaper in blue coins. Blue coins pretty much amount to one cent. Maybe it's some weird indirect fuck-you to EA. Or a glitch. That... has happened before.

Oh, for the record, Gamersgate used to be Paradox's webstore till they divested.

Paradox are bros, though. Apparently they don't actually have DRM even in their steam games. Yeah, they do kind of go overboard on the DLC, but... eh, I'll let it slide.

I bet they could make a pretty bitchin' city simulator. I mean they made a name for themselves with insane geo-political simulators, seems like it'd be up their alley. I mean christ, take Crusader King 2's people management, mix that with SimCity, cut back on funding to transit, and watch as the crazy road guy ACTUALLY MURDERS YOUR MAYOR and knocks up both of this daughters just for the hell of it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:04:48 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8973 on: March 15, 2013, 09:25:38 PM »

I bet they could make a pretty bitchin' city simulator. I mean they made a name for themselves with insane geo-political simulators, seems like it'd be up their alley. I mean christ, take Crusader King 2's people management, mix that with SimCity, cut back on funding to transit, and watch as the crazy road guy ACTUALLY MURDERS YOUR MAYOR and knocks up both of this daughters just for the hell of it.

I...I would play the hell out of that game.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:27:23 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8974 on: March 15, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a75te/how%C2%AD_it_came_to_this

Reading this and seeing people comparing it to spore, but like...

I always thought Spore was pretty accurate to its pre-release videos. The videos are really good at wowing you at first, but I mean, critical eye, and the game's Age of Empires light. That's all it ever was, and that's exactly what shipped. If I recall, the animation system was simplified a lot, and a second creature mode where you're underwater was taken out, but these are... they're definitely missing content, but they don't alter the core of the game. Maybe there was a lot of inaccurate hype from Maxis prior to the gameplay videos, but... the videos are accurate to the final product, as far as I can tell.

In this case, though, it really looks like the devs were outright lying about how the game worked in a lot of ways.

Also, reading reviews for Bowie's new album. Was I the only person that like Outside? I mean I know I'm the only person that liked Diamond Dogs but whatever.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:11:05 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8975 on: March 15, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »

I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you about Spore, Mesh.  The game was never billed as Age of Empires light.  The mode you're referring to is only one small piece of what they were promising.  Saying that pre-release videos were accurate because one small piece of the game was relatively similar when nothing else was is disingenuous at best.  And yes, the missing stuff absolutely does alter the core of the game.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8976 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »

I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you about Spore, Mesh.  The game was never billed as Age of Empires light.  The mode you're referring to is only one small piece of what they were promising.  Saying that pre-release videos were accurate because one small piece of the game was relatively similar when nothing else was is disingenuous at best.  And yes, the missing stuff absolutely does alter the core of the game.

I'm basing this off of what I saw in the videos. There was never any point where I didn't think the game looked like Age of Empires-lite. No, Maxis never WAS billing the game as AoE-lite, but... dammit, that's what it looks like and what it always looked like, as far as I can tell. Maybe there was other promotional material released prior to/outside of the videos, and if you could dig it up I'd love to see it. What was actually being promised? I mean, concrete stuff, not vague, "This is going to be mindblowing!" hyperbole. The 2005 build is pretty much what got released as far as I can tell.

http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Removed_features Nothing actually listed here is that substantial, though. Aquatic mode was the biggest removal I can find, and that sounds like it would've been everything as it existed at release, but underwater. Same core gameplay, just /blue/.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:33:45 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8977 on: March 15, 2013, 11:37:59 PM »

Even if you go by the released modes, only 2/5 of them even qualify as RTS games.  The problem is everything else was extremely barebones (well, aside from the awesome creator tools).

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8978 on: March 15, 2013, 11:47:17 PM »

Even if you go by the released modes, only 2/5 of them even qualify as RTS games.  The problem is everything else was extremely barebones (well, aside from the awesome creator tools).

I was under the impression that the most of the time you spent on a game of spore was in the Civilization phase, though...

In any case, the other phases looked pretty barebones in the promotional material (Maybe with the exception of space mode, which one of my bros used to swear by. I thought it looked p. simple though). Cell mode was ALWAYS Flow, and creature mode always struck me as a warm-up to civ mode/some grindy Diabloid thing.

I don't think there was, ever, any point when Spore was touted as being an actual simulator of anything, which is what /I/ wanted.

---edit---

Had ice cream for breakfast. One scoop of absinthe, one scoop of spicy chocolate. Quite good.

I think I'm gonna go back to staples tomorrow and get a drawing tablet.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:15:37 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8979 on: March 17, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »

Well, vacation week is over, start my new position bright and early tomorrow, gonna be a loooong week! But I am looking forward to the new challenges (and the huge increase in pay doesn't hurt, lol)

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8980 on: March 17, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »

1. Mom texted me that my cousin is pregnant. My response: "That sure is a thing."

2. Got a tablet. It's pretty nice to draw with! I have no idea what the fuck I want to draw.

3. It's cold out and I'm hungry.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8981 on: March 17, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »

I haven't been in close vicinity of a baby in about a year, it's glorious. No maternal instincts found here. Nature made me gay and I will honor its decision. :[

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8982 on: March 17, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »

What if you're actually a straight woman and never realized it?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8983 on: March 17, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »

Then I regret not abusing it on the internet and getting neckbeards to buy me stuff in Leauge of Legends.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8984 on: March 17, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »

What the fuck, Jason Molina died :(

I have to do laundry but the people that live below me are fighting and I'd rather not leave my apartment. Fff.

Also, question for the peanut gallery, but if I were to import a TurboGrafx/PC Engine game from eBay, what are the odds that it'd be a bootleg? I know that importing music CDs generally results in bootlegs. Never had issues with the few PSX imports I have though.

Wait why the fuck did I buy a tablet? I'm not good at drawing and I don't even like it. Did I delude myself into thinking I had hobbies again? Whoops.

I really need to throw away everything I own. I'm kind of sick of having it.

--edi-t---

FUCKING ROACHES ruining my goddamn AFGHAN BREAD going to fucking SUBWAY goddammit.

also tablet nibs wear down fast dang
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:13:08 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 900 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: