Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327543 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 870 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 642133 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9075 on: March 28, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »

Taxes: Yep, I'm going to pay. I don't really mind, that's how the system works and I'm usually okay with what taxes are used for. What's annoying is that people think it's weird I don't mind having to pay.

Health: pretty good, although I wasn't able to give blood today. Hb value was 7.7 instead of the minimum 7.8 (mine is normally closer to 9, so I was kind of surprised...) and now I won't be allowed to try to donate again until late June. Oh well, if they don't want my blood, that's their business. They did offer me some snacks, but the snacks there are disgusting and filled with transfats. "A donor's health always comes first." Yeah, right.

I also got this weird warning I shouldn't lose any weight. Which is weird, because my weight it actually pretty perfect and I weigh enough to donate. It's just that all the large people out there make me look tiny and super skinny in comparison.

(On the plus side, the nurses were slightly less over-protective this time. Maybe. Being compared to Spencer Reid might not be progress. And they were really adamant about me having some cookies... )
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9076 on: March 28, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »

Yikes 7 years.  Does Canada handle student loans differently than the US?  Here, 7 years of post-secondary school would put people majorly in debt after they graduate unless it was something really cheap like a community college or you got in for cheap due to relatives working at the school.

I don't know how to compare... though I've heard schooling in the States costs a ridiculous sum (I don't think Canada has a proper "ivy league"-like school to charge those kind of costs).  My family (bless 'em) and I have been pretty diligent about paying my way through school without help: College was over $3000 per year and University has been about $5000 per year (actually, I hear Quebec pays a lot less and still protests, clearly Ontarians are pussies; and back in the 1990's our fees were only around the $1000 mark!!!).
...but I'm really hoping to have the competitive edge with a diploma and degree (actually, after I graduate I'll proudly be the BEST EDUCATED person at my store!! :D )

Only in my last two years will I need to rely on government funding (ie; DEBT): We gotta pay interest 6 months *after* graduation.
How much is schooling in your neck of the woods?

I don't recall much anymore, but the 5k per year for an average or decent university sounds about right.  After 4 1/2 years (due to a transfer) I probably had about 18ish in student loans, but that includes me staying in a dorm my freshman year (with food plan which were expensive) and my parents said they would pay some as I went along, but i have no idea how much (or how little) they actually paid.  I also don't really recall what kind of scholarships or grants I had.  It sounds similar to Canada though. Everything else was on student loans from the govt and our payments start 6 months after graduation as well.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9077 on: March 28, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »

Yesterday, I realized that fanfiction is the romhacks of TV.

5. Copy of Dawn of Ys arrove.

6. Illuminatus! has some events that are REALLY similar to how stuff in Innocent Sin goes down, only instead of being Nyarlathotep and Hitler on an Aztec spaceship, it's with Yog-Sothoth and Hitler's perosnal army in Bavaria.

1. Currently eating ravioli out of a can because I ran out of dishes. Hope this didn't need cooked.

3. Got full scholarship for college.

4. Discovered that if a university offers you a full scholarship they might, in fact, just be desperate and it could be a red flag!

2. I've had persistent visual snow persistent migraine aura without ischemia* since I was like six. Which isn't problematic, just weird!

Also may have food poisoning in about an hour.

* Because that sounds cooler!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:13:51 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9078 on: March 28, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »

Now that I'm done with homework, I've been kicking around some ideas for some hobbies. I want to do some other things outside of games, so I'm debating on learning how to play guitar. I'm willing to invest time into practice, since I have learned how to play an instrument before (saxophone) and I understand that it will take a lot of time and hard work. Or maybe I'm just a savant and will be killer awesome. Maybe I'm just trying to fill the void where homework was?

Anywho, any tips on starting up with learning to play the guitar? Also, what other hobbies do y'all have outside of games? I know there's like a thread for this somewhere in the aether but whatevs I'm curious.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9079 on: March 28, 2013, 10:41:57 PM »

My advice: buy a cheap guitar so when you give up it's no big deal :)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9080 on: March 28, 2013, 11:00:17 PM »

Haha jerome ignila is a Penguin now.  Where's Liz?  She probably shat herself when she heard that.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9081 on: March 28, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »

My advice: buy a cheap guitar so when you give up it's no big deal :)

Yeah, I plan on getting something cheap, and not just for that reason, but also I wanna try to get a desktop soon as well. I dunno, just something I've been percolating about. I just feel kinda unsatisfied with just vidja games; I kinda want something else to be passionate about.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9082 on: March 28, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »

From what I gather guitar playing, or any instrument is dependent on these factors:

1) your dedication
2) having a good teacher
3) having a good ear

If you're tone deaf and can't pick up a melody then it probably won't matter too much.

My hobbies:
photography
talking people out of hobbies
drinking
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9083 on: March 29, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »

I'm more visual, so my hobbies are pottery (both throwing and sculpting clay), drawing and painting fantasy art.

I like to cook and bake, much to my husband's delight. He goes to the gym extra times a week so he can have extra helpings ;)

I am also a book junkie.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9084 on: March 29, 2013, 12:13:17 PM »

Dude... don't get too cheap of a guitar.. it'll make it more difficult to enjoy playing at first, and you'll grow out of it quickly regardless.
You may as well just invest a bit of money for something that will actually be fun to play.

When I started I learned simple folk guitar stuff from some old books my parents had. It was a good way to learn a bunch of chords and progressions.
But you can also just look up tabs for songs you like and learn that way. Just be sure to think critically about what you're playing otherwise you'll just be memorizing stuff.
And google Justin Sandercoe. Awesome free online lessons.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9085 on: March 29, 2013, 10:46:07 PM »

Lady update:

She has decided to go back to her ex. Once more I find myself alone. Good times.

Tomorrow I will be helping to move my friends game store. They got a new space that is much bigger and we spent the last couple weeks making it geeky. Now we are going to be moving all of the merchandise into it. That will help keep my mind off things, I hope.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9086 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »

She has decided to go back to her ex. Once more I find myself alone. Good times.

This is why I no longer try to have relationships anymore.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9087 on: March 29, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »

I wish Dice or Akanbe would come over and help me out with this 30pack of beer and stupid collection of ps1/n64 games
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9088 on: March 29, 2013, 11:33:46 PM »

I wish Dice or Akanbe would come over and help me out with this 30pack of beer and stupid collection of ps1/n64 games

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9089 on: March 29, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 604 605 [606] 607 608 ... 870 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: