Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 899 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 711111 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9975 on: July 11, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »

I thank the boss above for tattooing each and every day. If I didn't have that life would be pretty grim for Klyde.

But I wasn't always a tattoo artist. No sir.... I have tried my hand at many things. Flower arrangements for funerals, baker, dildo saleman (yep, you read that correctly), tree trimming (manual tree trimming mind you, that is crawling up the trees by hand) for the power company, treasure hunting (I can elaborate if anyone cares for me too) and the list goes on....

Point being, I agree that good schooling does not necessarily equate to a good wage. I made decent money (decent enough to survive comfortably at least) doing all of the aforementioned, none of which required a degree. The ultimate truth, for me personally, about money is as follows... the more motivated I am to make it, the more I tend to accumulate. End of story.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9976 on: July 11, 2013, 03:44:33 PM »

I thought I recognised you, Klyde.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9977 on: July 11, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »

Go forth, my son Kylde, and be well in all efforts
Do many great works and
tell your story on the parchment
of human flesh 
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9978 on: July 11, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »

^Clearly referring to his baking days.

For me, it's more that I really don't find myself skilled at anything I actually want to do. My talents lie in non-fiction writing, math and other logical-minded things, and that's about it. Math I find incredibly tedious and boring and writing, well... I have nothing to write about because I don't really do exotic things or have interesting friends, and I am terrible when it comes to research.

Not trying to unload, just trying to clarify my situation without saying too much.
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9979 on: July 11, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »

^Clearly referring to his baking days.

For me, it's more that I really don't find myself skilled at anything I actually want to do. My talents lie in non-fiction writing, math and other logical-minded things, and that's about it. Math I find incredibly tedious and boring and writing, well... I have nothing to write about because I don't really do exotic things or have interesting friends, and I am terrible when it comes to research.

Not trying to unload, just trying to clarify my situation without saying too much.

No, you fool. You were supposed to be surprised that Mongoose worked for a power company. Look what happens, I go to put on pants and somebody ruins a good joke. :)

I can totally empathize with your school problems particularly when it comes to research. I loved my time at school getting a degree in film studies because I love film and I love learning. Unfortunately I am not talented nor motivated enough to go on and do a masters nor do the positions of museum curator or film festival organizator have any sway on my heart. And thus I am enrolled again in school for professional writing when I realized the only thing I could do with the degree was write about films, something which I have no talent for either, but I am willing to learn. And yeah, research sucks. I'd be a historian (minored in history) if I could bother with research.

Let's hope I didn't end up wasting money THIS time ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:24:34 PM by Jotacon » Logged

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9980 on: July 11, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »

The ultimate truth, for me personally, about money is as follows... the more motivated I am to make it, the more I tend to accumulate. End of story.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:27:53 AM by natros » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9981 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:58 PM »

Eurotrucks 2's on sale on gamersgate, guys. Get it :( It's great :(

Also debating whether I should get the Yses from steam NOW or wait and see if they're a daily deal.

Oh.

Also I never knew Orson Scott Card was such a homophobe.

I mean look. I read Ender's game. You get the... man look ENDER IS NAKED FOR LIKE THE ENTIRE BOOK. ON A SPACESHIP FILLED WITH NOTHING BUT OTHER NAKED BOYS. SORRY FOR DRAWING CONCLUSIONS BUT I MEAN.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:07:36 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9982 on: July 11, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »

Eurotrucks 2's on sale on gamersgate, guys. Get it :( It's great :(

Also debating whether I should get the Yses from steam NOW or wait and see if they're a daily deal.

Always wait for a Flash deal or Daily deal... always...

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9983 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »

Speaking of deals, I need some RPG advice for Atlus' PSP sale. I recently purchased a .50 avatar on PSN which meant adding $5 in funds. I was originally going to save it to put towards Hatsune Miku. But to be honest with myself, I just decided to get both FFX/X-2 and KH 1.5, I have Rune Factory 4 on reserve, and I still have $45 left to pay for the Xillia CE. So really, I don't have the time or money for a rhythm game right now.

Lo and Behold, along comes Atlus with their PSP sale with a bunch of RPG's for under $4, so I'm asking for some advice on which one to get.

So far I'm thinking either Crimson Gem Saga or Hexyz Force, but I'm also interested in Yggdra Union and Knights in the Nightmare.

Some things I look for in a good RPG are:
1. Incentives to explore and experiment (Collectible and Unlockable junky)
2. A good story (Though it doesn't take much to impress me, if I'm being completely honest)
3. Variety and distractions (Awesome Mini-games FTW!!)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9984 on: July 11, 2013, 09:17:18 PM »

Yggdra Union is my favorite Sting game to this day.  It's not flashy and the story is serviceable but nothing special, but damn do I love the gameplay.  If you want a strategy RPG that actually requires strategy instead of grinding (in fact, grinding isn't even an option) then definitely consider it.  I know that when I played it I couldn't put it down.

Crimson Gem Saga is really, really, really, really bland.  I'm still not quite sure what people see in that game.  I don't really hate it or anything, it's a competent enough (other than some issues with difficulty spikes), but at the same time I can't think of a single aspect of the game that stands out.  Everything in the game has been done better elsewhere.  I can't possibly recommend it unless you're absolutely starved for a traditional turn-based JRPG and have already exhausted the many better titles out there...

Hexyz Force is also kind of bland, but not as bland as Crimson Gem Saga.  It at least introduces some better game mechanics.  Story is still pretty run-of-the-mill, though.

Knights in the Nightmare is...different.  Yup, definitely different.  I certainly applaud Sting for trying new things and there are a ton of interesting ideas in the game, but at the same time it never really all clicked for me.  I actually really like the core gameplay concept--this weird SRPG-meets-bullet-hell-shooter thing--but there are aspects of the game that feel convoluted just for the sake of being convoluted.  I don't feel like fighting the same monsters over and over on the same map over and over to finish a mission or the confusing between-mission leveling up and maintenance stuff really add much to the experience...

So yeah, my recommendation is Yggdra Union.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9985 on: July 11, 2013, 10:06:45 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I was certainly intrigued by Yggdra Union, so I'll most definitely go with that one/ Unless someone else changes my mind, haha.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9986 on: July 11, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »

Went for a long walk today and did some fishing. After that I hopped on the computer and grabbed Civ V:Gold, LFD2 and Sine Moira all for $35. Thanks Steam. I am content.  Sine Moira is a fucking RAD shooter:) haven't felt like this since Ikaruga. Oh, and I didn't catch any fish:S

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9987 on: July 11, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »

Page 666... So who has the mark of the beast? :p
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9988 on: July 12, 2013, 12:13:04 AM »

Crimson Gem Saga is really, really, really, really bland.  I'm still not quite sure what people see in that game.  I don't really hate it or anything, it's a competent enough (other than some issues with difficulty spikes), but at the same time I can't think of a single aspect of the game that stands out.  Everything in the game has been done better elsewhere.  I can't possibly recommend it unless you're absolutely starved for a traditional turn-based JRPG and have already exhausted the many better titles out there...

Hexyz Force is also kind of bland, but not as bland as Crimson Gem Saga.  It at least introduces some better game mechanics.  Story is still pretty run-of-the-mill, though.

Crimson Gem Saga at least had pretty sprites =\.  I agree the gameplay was boring and battles were either over in a flash or dragged it seemed.  Story was alright, but nothing at all to write home about.  I tried Hexyz force as well but just couldn't stomach it. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9989 on: July 12, 2013, 01:43:27 AM »

I liked Riviera a lot but I never felt like I knew what I was doing in KitN, even when I was winning. Sort of felt like all of the strategy was in the setup, and the execution was entirely in the shmuppy stuff -- except that just amounted to menu manipulation.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 899 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: