Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 09:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335172 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 900 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 724230 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10455 on: August 22, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

I had a retail job briefly in my teens, but then stopped when I realised I was hoping a bus would hit me on the way there.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10456 on: August 22, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »

I worked for Blockbuster for 2 and a half years and I didn't find it too bad. If you have the time to establish a rapport with costumers, everything gets better even the dumbass up-selling and trying to make quotas. To be fair, a video rental store probably has more repeat customers than something strictly in the business of selling and repeat costumers make the whole thing more bearable. Maybe, it is just that I have no problem serving people.

The best thing I got out of it was money the fact that I can empathize with clerks so much more now. Most retail workers just don't seem to care about the products or customers so I like to throw people for a loop when I buy things because they did a good job not sounding like a tired asshole when up-selling. I tell them why I fell for their plot and they usually laugh and are thankful, it makes the whole experience better on both ends.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10457 on: August 22, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »

Problem is:

Employee: The game is 64.79$. Do you want the protection plan?
Buyer: no.
Employee: With our protection plan we cover any kind of damage for a full year. [...] Letting you enjoy your game worry free. So, I can add it?
Employee: Really? This game had some bad print runs and unless you plan to play it all within a week, which is pretty hard for RPGs, you might not know if you have a bad disk. I'd take it if I were you. (*this part is total bullshit invented to try and make you buy the plan*)

So it's not just saying no Dice... it's saying no then no then no.

Not to quote the same thing twice, but you'd be surprised how often that "wear down"tactic works.

And Yoda, I do a lot of my preorders there for useless goodies usually like art books. :D
If others offer it I'm usually at my Indie game store; something about Amazons "click away" purchases makes it way too easy to say "WHY THE HELL NOT" to purchasing, so I try to avoid buying online, using real money makes me rethink if I really want what I'm buying. Is that weird?

I'm not beefin' on you because you're in full compliance here. For every Dice that works at EB/Gamestop there are 1000 Yggdrasil's
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10458 on: August 22, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »

I have no idea what the implication is there. xD

I'm actually quitting soon; so I've been super lax on promos and all that.  It's been really nice. x)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10459 on: August 22, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »

I don't get why you people constantly go to stores you hate.

Buy the fucking game off amazon next time.

Gamestop was the cheapest source for the stuff I wanted :( Also they have exclusivity on all the Project Rainfall Wii Things, and most of the used copies are ending back up at gamestop.

I don't usually go there, there. Especially since they quit carrying PS2 games.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10460 on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:18 PM »

Also they have exclusivity on all the Project Rainfall Wii Things

Actually, no, that's just Xenoblade.  The Last Story and Pandora's Tower were published by Xseed and were certainly not Gamestop exclusives.  You can get new copies for like $30 on Amazon.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10461 on: August 22, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »

Also they have exclusivity on all the Project Rainfall Wii Things

Actually, no, that's just Xenoblade.  The Last Story and Pandora's Tower were published by Xseed and were certainly not Gamestop exclusives.  You can get new copies for like $30 on Amazon.

Just checked amazon.com. Entire website is full of spiders. A few bit my hand and now it's swollen up like a pregnant grapefruit.

Every time.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10462 on: August 22, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »

In regards to lamestop, they suck balls, but you can't blame the peons for doing what the weiners in charge tell them to. Radio shack did the same thing to me as an employee. Greet customer, push cell phone, ask what they came in for, suggest elaborate answer usually leading to cell phone, select items that answer their need and recommend checking their eligibility for a cell phone plan, offer service plans for all items and close your eyes when they spit at you for literally harassing them to no end. Pretty standard fair for any retail sales job honestly, and it fucking sucks. Pretty sure it's less about appeasing the customer and more about literally destroying your confidence as a person and making you an obedient schlub.

Seated military press of 310 pounds, 2 full reps, 1 assisted. I love mah weight liftercising.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10463 on: August 22, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »

That explains my experiences with Radioshack.  They've tried to sell me a cell phone when I came in to buy batteries.  Like, normal double-A batteries.  I'm not making that up...

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10464 on: August 22, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSUHS0fCMAAzrou.png:large

If this were real :(((

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10465 on: August 22, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »

Me too
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10466 on: August 22, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »

That explains my experiences with Radioshack.  They've tried to sell me a cell phone when I came in to buy batteries.  Like, normal double-A batteries.  I'm not making that up...
That could have been me...I'm sorry.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10467 on: August 22, 2013, 09:52:21 PM »

We're not even allowed to sell iPhones at the Gamestop I work at because we're in the same strip mall as a Radio Shack. Not kidding.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10468 on: August 22, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »

Nobody tried to upsale me at Radioshack. Then again I was buying like conductive glue and soldering irons so they probably thought I was a terrorist.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10469 on: August 22, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »

(Also if my copy of Xenoblade doesn't have a manual goddammit bobby)

unless you want one for completionists sake, you don't need one.  Everything is explained in game and stored in a menu that you can re-access at any time.

Problem is:

Employee: The game is 64.79$. Do you want the protection plan?
Employee: With our protection plan we cover any kind of damage for a full year. [...] Letting you enjoy your game worry free. So, I can add it?
Employee: Really? This game had some bad print runs and unless you plan to play it all within a week, which is pretty hard for RPGs, you might not know if you have a bad disk. I'd take it if I were you. (*this part is total bullshit invented to try and make you buy the plan*)

So it's not just saying no Dice... it's saying no then no then no.

I feel bad saying no so if the person was likeable at Gamestop (which is very rare), then I'll fill out the customer service thing and give them a 5 star rating and tell GS that they are awesome.

Ah Duracell?  Yeah they make a great battery.  You know what else uses batteries?  Cell phones. 

Yeah, I really can't stomach buying from most retail shops these days.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:03:49 AM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 900 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: