Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334822 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 900 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 717028 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10635 on: September 07, 2013, 05:02:32 AM »

To be fair, I blame japan for making women so damn helpless looking..and men so damn womanly. Personally, I just prefer shit like a logo and maybe a backdrop of a city or area in game.

TASTY!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10636 on: September 07, 2013, 06:06:15 AM »

I think the game we're all talking about it Bioshock Infinite :)

JRPGs are a whole other problem because it makes American focus groups wonder why you can't shoot anything.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:09:36 AM by Tomara » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10637 on: September 07, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »

I think the game we're all talking about it Bioshock Infinite :)

JRPGs are a whole other problem because it makes American focus groups wonder why you can't shoot anything.

Man this was a huge problem on the PS2 until Disgaea came out and certain companies were just like FUCK IT WE LOCALIZIN' E'ERTHING.

Anyway I think the best solution to this problem is for game covers to have the male and female protagonist on the cover.

Completely nude.

And holding guns with their /assets/.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10638 on: September 07, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »

That makes me dislike the marketing folks, nog men in general. And the focus groups, maybe. I wonder what's happening in those heads...

"So, bad-ass dude or hot chick... If I say hot chick, they might think I'm gay for liking girls' games. Better pick the dude. Yeah, I should totally prefer looking at guys, that's the manly thing to do!"
Well, I mean, what's the reason women want girls on the cover? Isn't it for them to have a character to relate to, thus making companies put what would appeal to their target audience? That's why Mass Effect 3 had both female and male Shepards on the cover, because BioWare knew it was a series with an even split in terms of fan gender.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10639 on: September 07, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »

I just thought it was cuz femshep was hot.

TASTY!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10640 on: September 07, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »

Well, I mean, what's the reason women want girls on the cover? Isn't it for them to have a character to relate to, thus making companies put what would appeal to their target audience? That's why Mass Effect 3 had both female and male Shepards on the cover, because BioWare knew it was a series with an even split in terms of fan gender.

I dunno, a person having the same gender is not enough for me to relate to them (and I hope it's the same for plenty of other girls). Besides, the way half of the girls on videogame covers (especially the ones aimed at younger players!) are portrayed is kinda disturbing. Let's say I'm 9 years old, should to relate to these girls?

Should I think 'Wow, they look so sexy, I wish I could be like that!'?

I hope not.

Here's the reason women want more women on videogame covers: A heroine deserves a spot on the cover of her own game (without being sexualised in a desperate attempt to appeal to men). Elizabeth plays a huge role in Bioshock Infinity, you could say she is as important as Booker. Those two should have shared the spotlight if you ask me.

Of course, we'd first need more games with female protagonists if we want to see a real difference...
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10641 on: September 07, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »

Let's say I'm 9 years old, should to relate to these girls?

If you can, then I am deeply sorry about your multiple physical deformities :*(

Elizabeth plays a huge role in Bioshock Infinity, you could say she is as important as Booker. Those two should have shared the spotlight if you ask me.

That may be true but I mean LOOK AT THIS GLORIOUS DILF ACTION. And please note that his crotch is like the most well-lit area on that picture.

It's such a shame that Bioshock Infinite wasn't third person with lots of dutch angles :(

(It's not sexist if you put jiggle physics on the male characters as well :>)

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10642 on: September 07, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »

Lazy weekend while I sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting for bureaucracy to move at its glacial pace and eventually give me a work visa.

I miss the old days when you got a job and you just hopped on a plane then were sent to Japan for a couple of days for the visa.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10643 on: September 07, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »

So I was about to register for this year's JLPT.  That's the big standardized Japanese language test given by the Japanese government once a year.  I took and passed the N3 level last year and I've been studying for N2 ever since, planning on taking it this year.

Here's the problem: The test is always given on the first Sunday of December.  But because Thanksgiving is so late this year (as late as it ever gets, in fact) I just realized that the first Sunday of December is actually on Thanksgiving weekend.  December 1st, to be precise.  This is incredibly awkward for me.  I live in Seattle but I always go and visit my folks in Connecticut for Thanksgiving.  Now I either have to fly back on Saturday so I can take the test here on Sunday or I could register to take it in NYC or something and make a trip down there from my parent's place, the fly back later that week.  Obviously there's no way I'll be flying on Sunday (though I often try to avoid Sunday anyway since it's always the most expensive day to fly...).

And I don't want to miss the test since it's only given once a year.  Whatever I do I get the feeling I'm going to be rushing around a lot...

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10644 on: September 07, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »

(It's not sexist if you put jiggle physics on the male characters as well :>)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqPds3qqz8
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10645 on: September 07, 2013, 11:30:13 PM »

so got off work a little early today, thinking of firing a few people this up-coming week, getting annoyed with poor performance...time for a beer and an attitude adjustment, lol

Everything's Eventual
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10646 on: September 08, 2013, 04:03:48 AM »

If you can, then I am deeply sorry about your multiple physical deformities :*(

At best, I can imagine being Voldemort's long lost slutty niece can't be easy.

That may be true but I mean LOOK AT THIS GLORIOUS DILF ACTION. And please note that his crotch is like the most well-lit area on that picture.

Well, that's many women don't mind men on the cover. They're often quite nice to look at. Why complain about eye-candy, right? :D

Which is why I think it's weird there aren't more women on videogame covers. Most guys like looking at pretty girls, don't they?

Weirdly enough, Japan is a bit better about it than most countries. For instance, those Atelier games can be rather... you know... but the girls are on the cover of their own game and instead of looking overly cute or sexy, they're showing off some alchemy stuff (well, usually anyway, there are some exceptions - like Meruru). Relevant, natural active poses instead of butt shots? That's great! And while I'm certain those games are mostly played by men, I often love the cover designs. My first reaction to Atelier Ayesha's boxart was basically "OMG, look at the pretty colours! Her dress is so cute and flowy! Are those ruins? I like exploring ruins!"

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10647 on: September 08, 2013, 04:57:28 AM »

ugh linguistic crisis

"Capcom literally gutted their talent base."

Gutted has a metaphoric meaning and a literal meaning, but in this case literally is being used to indicate that the metaphoric meaning isn't being used as hyperbole.

IS that a valid construct? What do you do when the metaphoric meaning becomes more of an accepted secondary meaning?

--- edit ---

Okay figured it out.

Literally can either be applied to the following verb, or to the following verb phrase.

Capcom [literally gutted] their talent base - They disemboweled their staff.
Capcom [literally [gutted their talent base]] - Capcom fired all of their talented staff, and this isn't being used as hyperbole.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:34:04 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10648 on: September 08, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »

Thanks to Eusis, I have my name back for the first time in 6 years.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10649 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »

Hey, so what'd the ulnar nerve say when it was on trial for making a dude's hand go numb?

"YOU CAN'T ARREST ME! THIS IS ENTRAPMENT!"

thanks obama

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 900 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: