Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 02:30:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335189 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 900 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 724729 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10665 on: September 11, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »

Ash, that's balls and I feel for you.

One (1) internet pat on the back and a beer
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10666 on: September 12, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »

Lord have mercy on the boy from down in the boondocks did I SERIOUSLY just misspell exsanguinate as exangenuate?

--- edit ---

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonnazar/2013/07/23/20-things-20-year-olds-dont-get/ As a 20-something with an employed, this is depressing.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:28:37 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10667 on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »

Lord have mercy on the boy from down in the boondocks did I SERIOUSLY just misspell exsanguinate as exangenuate?

--- edit ---

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonnazar/2013/07/23/20-things-20-year-olds-dont-get/ As a 20-something with an employed, this is depressing.

With an employed? o_O

There's some great advice in the article, but it's missing my favorite piece... don't just do your job, do your job and as much of your bosses job as you can. If you want to grow and advance don't be content writing code or GMing a store, try to get involved in showing the new coders or GMs the ropes and helping get them fit in and productive. Train the people under you to be able to do your job and take over as needed, this takes work off of your shoulders and gives you space to take on higher tasks while also training them up for the promotion to take your spot. By taking on as many tasks from the person above you as you can you're setting yourself up the same way. When that supervisor is promoted or leaves the company and you've been doing half his/her work you're an easy person to bump up to the spot, especially when you've already trained people under you to take over your spot.

*edit*

And to add my the haps, just got my pay stub and it's $700 more than expected. Pleasing.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10668 on: September 12, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »

Cocksucking Professor.

First off, I get if a professor doesn't want students to use a laptop.  But fuck, I pay $500 for a class, I'd hope I can fucking use it even if I'm punished to go to the nosebleed section in the back.

He wants us to use 3x5 Q-Cards for a weekly answer thing.  if it's not 3x5, he won't mark it..... nuance, but that's just fucking picky.

We do a 'weekly question response' thing that has to do with our readings.  The bookstore is out of stock.  He can't look into getting the books, he can't share the pages we need due to copyright.  Ok.  But he also says it is still our responsibility to get the fucking book.  Amazon and Canadian Book Chains still need about 2 weeks to get it in.  We're on our own basically.

What a fucking prat.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10669 on: September 12, 2013, 08:04:50 PM »

If you want to grow and advance don't be content writing code or GMing a store

What if you LIKE writing code? What if you have no interest in being promoted endlessly until you end up in a position you hate or can't do?

By taking on as many tasks from the person above you as you can you're setting yourself up the same way.

1. What if you don't WANT their spot?
2. If you start doing their stuff if the haven't asked you to, you're either going to piss them off or fuck something up.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10670 on: September 12, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »

What if you LIKE writing code? What if you have no interest in being promoted endlessly until you end up in a position you hate or can't do?

By taking on as many tasks from the person above you as you can you're setting yourself up the same way.

2. If you start doing their stuff if the haven't asked you to, you're either going to piss them off or fuck something up.

Then you're reading the wrong Magazine.

This is Forbes, after all...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10671 on: September 12, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

I never thought I'd say I understand Mesh... but when it comes to work, I totally do.

I would never accept a promotion. It's just suicidal.
First of all, when they make cuts, lower management is usually the first thing that goes away.
Secondly, you start working crazy hours and don't really make more money than before (heck, you can't charge overtime if you're in a leading position at my corp)

Working for a big corporation is hell.
Worst is you can't leave because they tempt you with the pretty good salary and full medical coverage.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10672 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »

The article is advice on advancing and making the most of a career. If you're happy where you are and don't want to move forward in the chain... then don't? I don't think anyone is holding a gun to your head demanding you do so. If they are, call the police.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10673 on: September 13, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »

The article is advice on advancing and making the most of a career. If you're happy where you are and don't want to move forward in the chain... then don't? I don't think anyone is holding a gun to your head demanding you do so. If they are, call the police.

I feel like the implication is that, if you're ever content with your job, you're doing it wrong -- if you're NOT trying to constantly get promoted, then just quit, because you have no place in the workforce. I don't even want to seek more money -- I'm making more than enough as it is.

Also I'm pretty sure my lack of networking is going to fuck me over eventually, too.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10674 on: September 13, 2013, 03:08:11 AM »

It's too long to explain so I'll just leave my Facebook thread with names redacted here:

Sigh, Nintendo.

That is garbage. Sorry dude.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10675 on: September 13, 2013, 03:11:11 AM »

I feel like the implication is that, if you're ever content with your job, you're doing it wrong -- if you're NOT trying to constantly get promoted, then just quit, because you have no place in the workforce.

That article makes me stress about my career and I don't even want that kind of job! D:
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10676 on: September 13, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »

I feel like the implication is that, if you're ever content with your job, you're doing it wrong -- if you're NOT trying to constantly get promoted, then just quit, because you have no place in the workforce. I don't even want to seek more money -- I'm making more than enough as it is.

Also I'm pretty sure my lack of networking is going to fuck me over eventually, too.

Eh, yes and no. Being content and comfortable where you are is awesome. When I was in my early 20s I had a paid off house I'd bought cheap as a repo and rebuilt the inside of and a decent car paid off. My bills were extremely tiny and was damned comfortable and blew money left and right and had plenty of time for gaming and whatnots so I was content with it. Then economic crap happened and I lest my good job and had always ignored the networking thing too. after a year of searching i ended up getting a much worse job at around $10/hour. not a fun job, but my bills were tiny so it paid them and left time for fun. Still good.

Then I met the girl who would become the wife. Her nursey job and mine paid about the same, she eventually moved in and we started planning wedding things. Neighborhood had been getting worse, tons of houses being abandoned, drug busts, several shootings very close by. Girl had something go bad at work and it messed her back up and she was off work. With wedding savings and bills on me the crap job I'd been content with wasn't cutting it at all... couldn't find anything else, though. Had no contacts and no replies to resumes sent. Neighborhood was becoming a place we didn't want to be very quickly, house was paid off but because of how bad the neighborhood had gotten had virtually no resale value, didn't have the income for anything better... was not fun times.

Content is awesome and I'm back to a company and position I'm content in and living in a place we're content with. I've just learned to try to keep things lined up to move forward to something higher paid where I am if needed and take the time to keep in general touch with a few former bosses/colleagues I respect. It isn't something that comes naturally to me, but I can no longer be content when I know one or two sudden big issues could pull the rug out.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: September 13, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »

What the hell, Ashton. That's pretty shitty of Nintendo.

You can't call them up and go 'wtf man?'

NANOMACHINES, SON.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10678 on: September 13, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »

My test lead asked me how much cremation services cost today.

THIS IS WHY I DON'T NETWORK.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10679 on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »

What the hell, Ashton. That's pretty shitty of Nintendo.

You can't call them up and go 'wtf man?'
Nope, they just told us "nothing we can do."

Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 900 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: