Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:48:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332937 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 889 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 699264 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11070 on: October 22, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »

Yes time progresses and events happen in a sequence.

Anyway, had pizza bread for dinner mit tea
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11071 on: October 22, 2013, 11:21:01 PM »

^ But that wasn't your original argument. Originally you were trying to say that relationships were linear in the same way that relationships in video games are linear. Now you're saying your definition of linearity is different from the video game definition of linearity.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11072 on: October 22, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »

Er... no. My general definition of linearity is different, but I stand by what I said. Relationships are linear, but not simple like games make them out to be, because there is a general sequence of events to every relationship - and every relationship is different and complicated by a different SERIES of events, but guess what? Still linear!

If anything, the complaint should be that games make sex the endpoint (and thus, the most important aspect of a relationship), whereas a relationship has no true fixed endpoint (other than the relationship itself ending, or ... you know ... death, but that's the endpoint for everything). So it's basically giving you HALF a relationship rather than the whole thing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:30:33 PM by Ashton » Logged

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11073 on: October 22, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »

I wish Parn was here to add his two cents
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11074 on: October 22, 2013, 11:46:16 PM »

Relationships:

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11075 on: October 22, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »

It's some sort of feminist mind control to make a man be monogamous

monomongoose
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11076 on: October 22, 2013, 11:59:07 PM »

Dear GrimEternity,

you should force swamp mallows on everyone.

they ruke.

that is all.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11077 on: October 23, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »

I never said anything about relationships being rudimentary and crude. I said they follow a general path. The path can have many nuances and complications, and won't conform to any specific set of rules, but it is still a linear path.

How can something that can take many different turns be linear? Linearity can have many definitions depending on if you're talking about a mathematical line, which follows a determined path, or a philosophical standpoint such as predetermination and absence of will. 

Late to the party, but here's my two cent:
It might be all the years of working in a scientific context that colours my perception, but my mind immidiately goes with the mathematics definition of of linear.  i.e. in this case the model of bioware relationships would follow:
f(x) = ax+b
where x = "emotional currency"/"kindness coins" and f(x) being some measure the value of the relationship reaching a maximum value of SEX.
It wouldn't surprise me if he uses the same word interchangeably to refer to both definitions, though. The math one seems to make more sense with his subsequent point about friend zoning and such. The assumption that a relationship should yield a reward proportional to the amount of effort put in can definetly be problematic, but obviously more complex scenarios would require a lot more effort on the development side, so it is unsurprising that this is often the outcome.
I don't mind the inclusion of sex at all as they form an organic part of most relationships (though I could do with some less creppy puppet-show recreations of the act), but I wish that there would be oppourtunities for further development of the relationship "postcoitus".

my main issue with the video was the segue into his standard gender-based arguments (regardless of how true they may be). The friendzone as a concept in this context is just as applicable for both genders. It's not as if the romancing of the male characters have a higher degree of nuance and subtlety, so the jump to yelling at sexist men on the internet seemed a bit contrived
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11078 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

Dear GrimEternity,

you should force swamp mallows on everyone.

they ruke.

that is all.
I'll assume you're talking to me.
Hibiscus are something we don't use at work, although I grow some at home. They do indeed ruke.

I'm SO not feeling work this week. The sun is back out today and I just want to go home and screw around in the garden. Oh, well. back to staring at a plan as if I'm working on it. Maybe the #'s will magically input themselves in the computer.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:16:03 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11079 on: October 23, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »

For fuck's sake.... longest part of writing any paper has to be fucking citing everything and compensating for the different ways to cite.  This is new to me for ASA:  You reverse the first person's name (last name first), then you don't for the second name and keep it as is....  Mmmkay....?? Sure.

Whatever, here's me new school mantra
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:14:38 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11080 on: October 23, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

For fuck's sake.... longest part of writing any paper has to be fucking citing everything and compensating for the different ways to cite.  This is new to me for ASA:  You reverse the first person's name (last name first), then you don't for the second name and keep it as is....  Mmmkay....?? Sure.

So much fucking truth. The only nice thing about citing is that if you save it for the end and prepare accordingly, it can be relatively mindless, you you can do it while listening to music or watching a show or something equally distracting.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11081 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »

So much fucking truth. The only nice thing about citing is that if you save it for the end and prepare accordingly, it can be relatively mindless, you you can do it while listening to music or watching a show or something equally distracting.

I use BibTex.  It rocks.

Probably not relevant if you don't write stuff in LaTeX, though...

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11082 on: October 23, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »

Listening to Tristram Village in my chilly apartment
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11083 on: October 23, 2013, 11:59:09 PM »

Currently trying to prepare a four hour lecture for elementary teachers while nursing a hangover.

I'm not very motivated, and I may just go to my class and sleep.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11084 on: October 24, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »

Too be fair, the elementary school teachers are probably hungover too.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 889 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: