Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:41:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 899 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 711094 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11145 on: November 03, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »

I took it upon myself to do something new and started studying Japanese. I'm doing this for a few reasons: A) I love Japan and hope to visit B) It'd be fun to import old games and understand the basics C) I believe you either learn or die. The brain is a use it or lose it organ. I figure if I can devote at least 1/2-1 hour a day of self study in any subject I'd be doing good.

So I got a few workbooks on sat to practice Hiragana characters. It's fun so far.

If anyone has recommendations for a workbook that teaches and has practice spaces for Hiragana characters let me know. The one I have is ok but it's a bastard to put in the copier to make a duplicate. A spiral bound one would be stellar.

I'm trying to do my best in first making sure I can write the characters properly, from what I understand they take that seriously.

Will I ever be fluent? Someday maybe but this seems a more reasonable attempt than trying to learn piano, guitar, or trying drawing again. (Drawing is a lost talent of mine. I'll stick to photography).

I do enjoy your photography.  Anyways, maybe try out Rosetta Stone, but I also think "scheduling" and making a routine out of actual Japanese classes can be really helpful (I'm sure they'd provide/recommend worksheets and books as well).

If you can, also just go to Japan.   I'm sure you'd pick more on the language in 2 weeks than in 2 months of studying it (probably helps to know some of the language beforehand too).

Went camping overnight! I went with a bud and we went to Wayne National Forest near Marietta, OH. It was both of ours first time camping, and while we didn't prepare adequately for how cold it got at night, we had a great time. Can't wait to do it again during the warmer months.

I'd love to go camping; I'm a real wuss against bugs though...  so I'd opt for a colder month where a bunch are hopefully dead.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11146 on: November 03, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »

I tried Rosetta stone just to see what the hell it is but I don't see how it'd be useful, really. Just randomly throwing words at you and expecting them to stick doesn't seem too helpful. But the pronunciation is probably good.

I think a good, structured approach is best. Learn the alphabet and go from there.

The only city college that offers classes is pretty far away from me. But clty colleges are pretty dynamic. Maybe one closer will have a class soon

and thank you!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11147 on: November 03, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »

I tried Rosetta stone just to see what the hell it is but I don't see how it'd be useful, really. Just randomly throwing words at you and expecting them to stick doesn't seem too helpful. But the pronunciation is probably good.

Learning how to /speak/ (JUST speak, not understand) is probably the easiest thing about learning the language, so yay! 
There's no trick pronunciations like how English can have the letter "C" make two different sounds (eg; "cat" vs "cist").  It's straightforward there at least. 

And remember to ROLL THEM R'S! ;)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11148 on: November 03, 2013, 10:22:50 PM »

I think the fact that I already know one of the most ridiculous and cumbersome languages is a good thing.

Right now: sitting on the floor, drinking wine, playing Yakuza 4, and watching Game Informer's Replay
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11149 on: November 03, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »

Yoda, definitely check out the program Anki.  It's a spaced-repetition flashcard program that's free and runs on just about everything.  Just about everyone I know who self-studies Japanese (including myself, of course) uses Anki in some form or other.  Of course, Anki is just the base program.  You also need to find a deck that's good for your needs.  But I'm sure there are hiragana and katakana decks out there.

Knowing how to write hiragana and katakana is probably a good thing too, but in all honesty my ability to hand-write Japanese (particularly the more complicated kanji and stuff) is pretty dismal.  But then, I barely ever hand write English these days, let alone Japanese.  It's just not something that comes up much.  I think being able to recognize the characters and knowing how to use an IME for computer input is probably more important.  Though practicing writing them will certainly improve your ability to recognize the characters too, so I'm not really saying don't do that.  I just don't think it's the most critical thing.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11150 on: November 03, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »

Currently in a /worked up/ mental state. Can't calm down enough to do anything. Currently opening a tab in Chrome, going to some page, closing the page, opening a new tab, goingto thesam epage, closing it, been doing this for like ten minutes now.

Used to be sort of good with foreign languages but I never had the interest in getting fluent or even competent with anything because... there's zero utility value in it to me. Even if I knew Tamil and /could/ speak to my coworkers, I still wouldn't /want/ to./

--- edit ---

MAN WHO THE FUCK EVEN INVENTED SKELETONS.

Also managed to convince myself that there was some other canadian province starting with A besides alberta, and that Prince Albert Island was located in some body of water between Toronto and Nunavut.

--- edit 2 ---

OH SHIT THE HUDSON BAY EXISTS.

--- edit 3 ---

Apparently I'm thinking of James Bay which is still where PIE isn't. What is in James Bay?

--- edit 4 ---

So I guess some tiny chunks of Nunavut, none of which are PIE, have taken up residence in James Bay.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:42:14 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11151 on: November 03, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »

Yoda, definitely check out the program Anki.  It's a spaced-repetition flashcard program that's free and runs on just about everything.  Just about everyone I know who self-studies Japanese (including myself, of course) uses Anki in some form or other.  Of course, Anki is just the base program.  You also need to find a deck that's good for your needs.  But I'm sure there are hiragana and katakana decks out there.

Knowing how to write hiragana and katakana is probably a good thing too, but in all honesty my ability to hand-write Japanese (particularly the more complicated kanji and stuff) is pretty dismal.  But then, I barely ever hand write English these days, let alone Japanese.  It's just not something that comes up much.  I think being able to recognize the characters and knowing how to use an IME for computer input is probably more important.  Though practicing writing them will certainly improve your ability to recognize the characters too, so I'm not really saying don't do that.  I just don't think it's the most critical thing.

Thanks for the program.

Yeah I'm not counting on writing out long letters or essays but right now I'm just trying to memorize the characters and associated sounds and writing them out and saying them is helping me big time. I remember things more clearly when I associate an action or some shit with the sound.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11152 on: November 04, 2013, 02:24:27 AM »

I tried Rosetta Stone.  I don't know if it was my crappy microphone or what, but it was wrong every time I would pronounce a word.  I would repeat it several times to the point I was frustrated and yelling into the microphone, only then it would register as correct.  I quit since I sounded so angry speaking Japanese.

So today was the big race day.  The race itself was boring since J. Johnson dominated the whole time.  I really enjoyed the pre-race garage event and events going on outside.  Saw some people from Duck Dynasty (probably would have been more impressed if I had seen the show).  Saw some X-games athletes put on a show.  O.A.R. was there singing (sounded good live).  There was circus themed party with a freak show featuring a sword/long object swallower.  Best part was when Jeff Burton, Carl Edwards and Junior came out to talk.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11153 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »

Klyde is mobile again folks!! Thanks to the aid of some of you fine peoples buying my wares, I was able to snag new wheels today. A cute little 99 saturn. Now I just need to hit up decalninja.com and get a 16-bit bumper sticker of Edgar riding a chocobo and I'm set!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11154 on: November 04, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »

Klyde is mobile again folks!! Thanks to the aid of some of you fine peoples buying my wares, I was able to snag new wheels today. A cute little 99 saturn. Now I just need to hit up decalninja.com and get a 16-bit bumper sticker of Edgar riding a chocobo and I'm set!

Saturn's 32-bit, not 16-bit >:C godddddddd.

--- edit ---

Also ugh that feel when you're drinking a kombucha and you get the bacteria glob in the first sip.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:16:33 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11155 on: November 04, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »

Apropos of completely nothing:

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11156 on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »

This is probably silly but for decades I thought my least favorite cuisine was Mexican, but it is really Tex-mex.  In my mind they were the same thing.  I didn't find out till this past weekend when I ate some amazing authentic Mexican food in Texas.  It completely blew my mind.  Now I am on a quest to find some local Mexican food. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11157 on: November 04, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »

Eh, I think both Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican are delicious. Love Southwestern food!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11158 on: November 05, 2013, 08:39:30 AM »

I get to work at the waldorf astoria today. How enthralling!

TASTY!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11159 on: November 05, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »

I get to work at the same place I have for the last six months....equally enthralling, lol

Everything's Eventual
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 899 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: