Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 09:18:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 909 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 740477 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11310 on: December 03, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »

My boyfriends been watching Indian soaps on Youtube again. I thought he had quit that habit.

Now I have to listen to him talk about Gayatri revealing Sowmiya's marriage to Dharani. I DUN CARE.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11311 on: December 03, 2013, 11:42:11 PM »

My boyfriends been watching Indian soaps on Youtube again. I thought he had quit that habit.

Now I have to listen to him talk about Gayatri revealing Sowmiya's marriage to Dharani. I DUN CARE.

Not to harp on another culture's form of entertainment, but yeah, Indian soaps (or even soaps in general) exhaust and reuse their plots really damn fast. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11312 on: December 04, 2013, 12:04:14 AM »

Not to harp on another culture's form of entertainment, but yeah, Indian soaps (or even soaps in general) exhaust and reuse their plots really damn fast. 

It's the constant zoom-in shots and 20 minute long stares that get me. It doesn't even need parody, it's ridiculous in its own right how long it goes on.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11313 on: December 04, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »

It's the constant zoom-in shots and 20 minute long stares that get me. It doesn't even need parody, it's ridiculous in its own right how long it goes on.

Relevant to the topic at hand, and to gaming.

http://youtu.be/aasdqw9M-YM
Wait or go to the 30 second mark

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11314 on: December 04, 2013, 12:09:42 AM »

Never having played Zelda I had to refer to the Youtube comments to see how it related to gaming. :P

Don't let my boyfriend see this, he's a huge Zelda geek as well as Indian soap enthusiast.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11315 on: December 04, 2013, 12:30:34 AM »

Never having played Zelda

How dare you.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11316 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:33 AM »

Still not sure what I want to do with my life... I enjoy the work I do as a freelance writer, but the whole using pseudonyms things is starting to get to me. Nobody pays well enough to justify writing exclusively for them, so I need to work for several publishers and write about games on all platforms. Which is kinda problematic because they don't really want anyone to do that. Or at the very least: they don't want people to know anyone does that, because console wars are serious business. That's where pen names come in. However, most magazines like it when their writers are more than just names, so a pen name ends up being a second identity or something.

I kinda feel like a spy right now.

Maybe I should get a regular job...
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11317 on: December 04, 2013, 07:42:08 PM »

I just spent the evening recording demos in a studio in North London. Now I am home. And my legs hurt.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11318 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »

Oh man...

I've been going through the formalities to finish up my PhD.  I was shocked to find that the graduate school was claiming I didn't have enough credits, considering that I've taken all my required courses and have been here a very long time.  See, when you're a graduate student doing research you're supposed to register for a 'course' that's just doctorial research.  It's a book-keeping thing, really.  It's not like you take any tests or something...just a formality.  Not something you would normally think of as a course, even.  And this 'course' is always pass/fail, naturally.  But even so your advisor has to submit 'pass' to complete the formalities...which apparently mine has been neglecting to do for years.  And I didn't even notice because who the heck checks on the grades for their pass/fail doctorial research not-actually-a-course course?

Hopefully this is something we can get cleared up.  I mean, I was always registered for this 'course'.  If it were counted the way it's supposed to be I would have more than enough credits.  It's my advisor who dropped the ball...

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11319 on: December 04, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »

I'd make you start over
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11320 on: December 05, 2013, 02:50:44 AM »

Still not sure what I want to do with my life... I enjoy the work I do as a freelance writer, but the whole using pseudonyms things is starting to get to me. Nobody pays well enough to justify writing exclusively for them, so I need to work for several publishers and write about games on all platforms. Which is kinda problematic because they don't really want anyone to do that. Or at the very least: they don't want people to know anyone does that, because console wars are serious business. That's where pen names come in. However, most magazines like it when their writers are more than just names, so a pen name ends up being a second identity or something.

I kinda feel like a spy right now.

Maybe I should get a regular job...

I'm kinda getting this impression from a lot of creative jobs these days.  But I had no idea you were going through that --- work sucks.

Oh man...

I've been going through the formalities to finish up my PhD.  I was shocked to find that the graduate school was claiming I didn't have enough credits, considering that I've taken all my required courses and have been here a very long time.  See, when you're a graduate student doing research you're supposed to register for a 'course' that's just doctorial research.  It's a book-keeping thing, really.  It's not like you take any tests or something...just a formality.  Not something you would normally think of as a course, even.  And this 'course' is always pass/fail, naturally.  But even so your advisor has to submit 'pass' to complete the formalities...which apparently mine has been neglecting to do for years.  And I didn't even notice because who the heck checks on the grades for their pass/fail doctorial research not-actually-a-course course?

Hopefully this is something we can get cleared up.  I mean, I was always registered for this 'course'.  If it were counted the way it's supposed to be I would have more than enough credits.  It's my advisor who dropped the ball...

I get scared about school horror stories, so I hope you can get this resolved

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11321 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »

Nan was supposed to be leaving tomorrow for Memphis to spend a few days down there with some fellow runner ladies, and participate in a run for St. Judes Childrens Hospital. She's been monitoring the weather situation,which looks pretty crappy. So, to avoid tomorrows predicted ice storms, she decided to call off work and leave today. It's a logical decision, but I don't like that I didn't get to see her off before going. It makes me think about possible "bad things" that could happen to her, like a car accident or something. I don't like thinking like this, but I think it comes from not getting to see, or talk to, either of my parents before they died. I get paranoid now because of it. I'm sure she'll be just fine, but there's that stupid nagging in the back of my mind.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11322 on: December 05, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »

Big storm last night. My mums backdoor and fence have blown down, and tiles came off her roof. Me and Hugh manged to not have much damage, but we did have to spend the morning trying to find our bins.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11323 on: December 05, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »

I'm kinda getting this impression from a lot of creative jobs these days.  But I had no idea you were going through that --- work sucks.

I hadn't really thought about it much, but friends in other entertainment(-related) industries go through the same stuff. It's like creativity is both under and overvalued. They often hear whatever they do is amazing and that they're so talented, but very few actually want to pay a decent amount for their work. A friend of mine had a few no-name customers that thought she should feel honoured for being asked to do some illustrations for them, so honoured she shouldn't want payment. As if compliments pay the bills...

I guess the one thing I hate about the game industry right now is related to that. Publishers have a tendency of keeping big titles behind bars before the big release. They'll fly journalists in to play their game for a day or so and a trip like that is supposed to be all awesome and special. I hate it. Either you're playing in a nearly empty room (Nintendo's playroom in the Netherlands was as big as several classrooms, or atleast it felt like it, because I was the only one there, huddled on a couch in the corner playing a DS game) or it's more of a event type of thing and they're trying to fill you up with snacks, energy drinks and marketing blablabla. I prefer playing games at home. I've got a nice tv, a comfy couch, I can eat and drink whatever I want (right now that'd be tea and mandarin oranges) and I love not having to go through security to use the bathroom. It's nice and quiet at home and that makes it so much easier to appreciate a game. But nope, publishers think their forgettable sequel it too important for that... Anyway, the whole thing seems to be more about the promotion of a game than the game itself and that gets in the game of properly experiencing the game. Seems like an insult to the people who actually made it, doesn't it? "It not about what you made, it's about how we sell it."
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11324 on: December 05, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »

So today at work we had an emergency meeting.

The girl that nobody (including me) likes working with (for valid reasons) got us all in a room and cried and wanted to know what our problem is with her.
It was awkward... oh so very awkward.

I'll acknowledge that it takes a lot of guts to get everyone in a room and lay the issue on the table, but it's really not the way you want to go at it especially in a big corporation where most things are desensitized and dehumanized.

Also, I'm somewhat slightly more disgusted by her in the sense that I now know she can dish it out and trample over others... but cries the moment she realized people didn't like her because of the shit she keeps doing.
Some may say it's terrible, but I do believe in the adage of "If you dish it, you better be able to take it."
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 909 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: