Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:16:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330162 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 877 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 673904 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11430 on: December 15, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »

At my folk's house the only shovel they had (for the longest time) was this ancient coal shovel made of rusty metal. As you'd shovel, ice would form on the metal and make it heavier and heavier.

I miss shoveling in the burbs. The hum of distant snowblowers, the weird quiet that comes w/ a new snowfall, the smell of fireplaces, the crushing sadness of being lonely all the time...
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11431 on: December 16, 2013, 12:09:39 AM »

At my folk's house the only shovel they had (for the longest time) was this ancient coal shovel made of rusty metal. As you'd shovel, ice would form on the metal and make it heavier and heavier.

I miss shoveling in the burbs. The hum of distant snowblowers, the weird quiet that comes w/ a new snowfall, the smell of fireplaces, the crushing sadness of being lonely all the time...

Right on all counts, minus the loneliness. I love taking my dog for a walk while it's snowing, like I did on Saturday. There's something so darn serene about it. The quiet is kind of strange, but I like it. At least when I take him in the evening. I find myself feeling so happy when I actually see kids out playing in the snow. It's sadly not as common as it was when I was a kid.
My wife went kitchen crazy this weekend. Made peppermint marshmallows, caramels, peanut brittle, eggnog coffeecake, and gingerbread cookies. We decorate the cookies together every year. We'll give a lot of it away to family and co-workers as it's dangerous(from a health standpoint) having all that in the house.
Plus, she made chili and cornbread muffins for dinner! Too much good stuff to eat. Yum.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:15:59 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11432 on: December 16, 2013, 12:39:56 AM »

Getting nervous about my surgery now. It is coming up on Thursday. I am very independent, normally, and don't like relying on people, which is good because I don't have anyone to rely on after the surgery. I got someone to bring me there and then home with bribery. Once that happens it's all me. I am hoping to get them to at least bring me to get my pain medicine.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11433 on: December 16, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »

Snow smells like smoke to me but it makes me think of attack and midnight and the squealing crunch underfoot is the kind of bone-and-teeth vibration calling up distant ghosts and memories and the feel of sprayed-light banked off tinsel, flickering lights in rainbow swirling, and sitting in the backseat of the car when I was fine and never heard anything more melancholy that Silver Bells. They way a nursing home smells -- the way a church goes unhinged -- the reflection of pine trees on the lake and sunset and the house lights from the opposite bank. And highways. Christmas is the time of year when this world and the next briefly overlap and I just want to enclave myself out under the sofa till it passes.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11434 on: December 16, 2013, 04:16:47 AM »

The other thing with professional reviews -- and I think you mentioned this in that Wonderful 101 post -- is that you're being forced to play games under a time limit and that WILL effect how you respond to them. Also I'd assume that the professionalism means you get less emotionally involved and less prone to, uh, the sort of goofy fan rants that plague the metacritic user reviews?

I think we're less likely to take a game personally. I'm RPG-girl and while I certainly have my preferences, I have played so many different games from different publishers there's no room for irrational hatred. It's the same with shooter-guy. He might prefer Battlefield over Call of Duty but has to play both. He can't be all xenophobic like some of those ranting metacritic users are. Plus, this line of work encourages you to try new things with an open mind all the time. If you can't do that you won't last long. And because we have to play everything that is thrown at us, we'll actually play some of the worst games ever. The stuff normal gamers wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. If you've been around for a while, you know what true horror looks like. And nope, it doesn't look like the newest Call of Duty. True horror has the face of Superman 64, Astro Boy: The Video Game for DS, that shitty pool game for the Wii I don't want to remember. We survived that, so of course we're not going to give an uninnovative but otherwise fun game a 2.

It's the same with consoles. Back when I wrote for a Nintendo magazine most of my co-freelancers had systems from other companies as well. Plenty of PC-gamers too. Not because of work, but because they loved games.

Not that we can't get enthousiastic about the things that are truly awesome. It's great for us because it makes it easy to play a game for longer periods of time, and it's great for readers because will probably sacrifice our spare time to see as much of the game as possible. For instance, I was asked to preview Hearthstone and got a betacode to do so. That was over a month ago, but I enjoyed the game so much I still play several matches every day. By the time the game is finally released I'll have a good understanding of the card selection, how the game is balanced and so on. I'm looking forward to reviewing it.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11435 on: December 16, 2013, 04:39:11 AM »

Snow smells like smoke to me

?!

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11436 on: December 16, 2013, 03:42:41 PM »

Snow smells like smoke to me but it makes me think of attack and midnight and the squealing crunch underfoot is the kind of bone-and-teeth vibration calling up distant ghosts and memories and the feel of sprayed-light banked off tinsel, flickering lights in rainbow swirling, and sitting in the backseat of the car when I was fine and never heard anything more melancholy that Silver Bells. They way a nursing home smells -- the way a church goes unhinged -- the reflection of pine trees on the lake and sunset and the house lights from the opposite bank. And highways. Christmas is the time of year when this world and the next briefly overlap and I just want to enclave myself out under the sofa till it passes.

That was perplexing Mesh.... and beautifully visual as well.... *I golf-clap for you*

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11437 on: December 16, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »

That was perplexing Mesh.... and beautifully visual as well.... *I golf-clap for you*

I'M A SPAM BOT.
CHICKENIN' DUNKLINS!!

I'm currently imagining getting a job where, like, I have to wear a tuxedo and just stand around for hours on end with a group of similar individuals and our only purpose is to make the room look more populated/important than it really is -- essentially being human furniture.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:57:48 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11438 on: December 16, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »

the weird quiet that comes w/ a new snowfall

This is my favorite thing about snow, when it's heavy enough that it kind of mutes the world around you. Especially at night, and if you're in a big enough the town, usually the cloud cover is low enough that it reflects the light from the city, so when you look up you see what looks like a vaguely red ceiling of clouds. The entire effect makes me feel like I'm in a snowglobe.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11439 on: December 16, 2013, 11:26:57 PM »

what do you when your other half is introverted and your extroverted? its really annoying because when she needs to recharge a simple hello will annoy the shit out of her. but when she comes out of it she gets upset if i dont make myself available to her :/

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11440 on: December 16, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »

No idea, I'm the introvert out of me and Hugh. I can relate with getting annoyed when you are trying to be alone and your SO wants to talk, but by the same token I don't get mad at him afterwards if I'm ready to talk and he isn't. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11441 on: December 16, 2013, 11:41:02 PM »

what do you when your other half is introverted and your extroverted? its really annoying because when she needs to recharge a simple hello will annoy the shit out of her. but when she comes out of it she gets upset if i dont make myself available to her :/

Are you going to try and convince us you're an extrovert when you'd rather play PSO than please your woman?

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11442 on: December 17, 2013, 12:01:38 AM »

sometimes I try to be an adult but just fritter away my hours drawing scotomas
what do you when your other half is introverted and your extroverted?

It is said that, one day, Isaac Newton was sitting beneath an apple tree, when one of the fruit shook loose, fell, and hit on the head.
"Eureka!" Sir Isaac Newton said, picking up the fruit. "I've invented the apple!"
"And as thanks," said the apple, "I shall do the same to you."

idk, but it sure sounds like dissociative personality disorder is a bitch :( You want believe what we found in these.

(maybe instead of "my little pony" they should call it "someone else's little pony cause you ain't gettin' one, scrub")

__ _ _.._,_
           wait were you expecting that to be something?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:27:53 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11443 on: December 17, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »

Got my Xmas package from home today. I know there are 3DS games in it, but I need to show self restraint.....

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11444 on: December 17, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »

Say hello to Klyde's Crystal Knight!!! Muahahahaha!!!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 877 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: