Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:30:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334539 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 899 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 709411 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11880 on: February 21, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »

When I bought my PS3, I was really paranoiac on the way back home using with public transportation.
I felt that nothing says "mug me!" like a giant blue box with PS3 written on it.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11881 on: February 21, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

When I bought my PS3, I was really paranoiac on the way back home using with public transportation.
I felt that nothing says "mug me!" like a giant blue box with PS3 written on it.

That's actually pretty funny because I went through a similar situation a few days ago, I went with a friend of mine to buy his ps3 and we had to use the bus to come back home, he was really restless because there were some shady looking dudes on the bus, nothing happened though.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11882 on: February 21, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »

I never take any noteworthy electronics with me nowadays. Well, aside from my 3DS, and that one I keep hidden in my bag most of the time. My phone isn't worth more than the prepaid minutes on it and my MP3-player looks like shit (and most importantly, not an iSomething).

That one time I had my laptopbag with me in a regular laptopbag (you know, one that screams "Please steal me!") I was certain it would be stolen, but... Okay, here's the whole story:

I was on my way home from my boyfriend. It had snowed and trains were running late all over the country. Before leaving I had called my dad asking if he'd pick me up from the nearby train station since there was a huge chance I'd have to wait an hour for the bus. Despite a small delay I made it to the final train station in time. Sure, my bus had left minutes before I arrived, but my dad would pick me up, so whatever.

So I waited. After twenty minutes it was obvious my dad wasn't going to come. He's extremely punctual, so unless something really bad happened he'd be on time. Early even. Worried, I tried to find a payphone, but apparantly they had removed those a few month prior. Shit.

There was nothing I could do except for wait for the next bus. The bus station was quiet, but not eerily deserted so I pulled out my GBA and started the game my boyfriend had lend me: Fire Emblem. Just when I was about to cut down my first bandit, a young man approached me. He asked me which would be the fastest way to get to a nearby town: bus or train. I told him he should take the train, despite the weather it would still be faster than the bus.

Then he tried to engage me in some small talk. Before long he was asking how old I was and where I went to school. I tried to answer his questions neutrally without giving to much information while quietly putting my GBA away. He told me my hair was pretty. Would I like a job? He knew a place that paid well. I'd be like a waitress and I'd make lots of money just talking to customers and serving them drinks.

Of course I was starting to get scared, especially when I saw the bus station was a lot emptier than before. Luckily I spotted a mother and her son. They were pretty far away though. I moved from my bench, pretending I wanted to double check the departure times. The man stayed close. With hair like mine, customers would come running for me. Especially if I did something extra for them. Nothing bad. Just massages. I'd make a lot of money and be able to buy nice things for myself. Like a new coat. Wouldn't I love a new coat? If I wanted the job, I'd have to act now. Before another girl would take it. It'd be fun. I'd get to know new people. Learn new things. Things a girl my age should learn. Customers would love my long, golden hair. Fortunately that was when we got in hearing range of the mother and her son. He bid me a hastily farewell and left the station, walking away from the train platforms.

When I got home I heard my dad had gone to the station, but he left almost immediatly after my mom called his cellphone. My cousin had died. He was just four hours old...
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11883 on: February 21, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »

Wow, what a creep.
Sorry to hear about your cousin.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11884 on: February 21, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »

Thanks. It was many years ago, but I can safely say that was one of the worst days of my life. And the worst for of my uncle and aunt, of course :(
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11885 on: February 21, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »

Want creepy?

I once saw a guy jacking off in the bus.
I didn't really see it because he had a suitcase to hide himself, but you know, that arm movement is pretty damn obvious.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11886 on: February 21, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »

Dunno, I think Tomara's story is creepier, and waaaay scarier! But yeah Annubis it is creepy...well, more like sick

Everything's Eventual
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11887 on: February 21, 2014, 10:03:22 PM »

Congratulations America!

After the results of last night's olympic hockey game, you get to keep Justin Bieber!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11888 on: February 21, 2014, 10:14:16 PM »

Want creepy?

I once saw a guy jacking off in the bus.
I didn't really see it because he had a suitcase to hide himself, but you know, that arm movement is pretty damn obvious.

Annubis.

It's not polite to stare at people while they're jerking off.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11889 on: February 21, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »

Night one of my League of Legends experiment is complete. I've been pretending to be a girl too see what female gamers have to put up with. The hard part was trying to think of a way of letting it be suggested I'm a girl without busting in saying "Omgerd gurl gamer here boys". I came up with having a feminine username, something like "CottonCandy<3" and excessive use of emoticons. So if you see me spamming <3 everywhere, it's because of that.

I didn't wanna lie to anyone and say I was a girl either, so if they asked I said I was a boy. Most were coy and tried asking me where I was from and what my hobbies were, which I gave gender neutral answers to. In the end a lot of guys chose to believe I was a girl. I was at least expecting SOMEONE to say there are no girls on the Internet.

Results:

"Pros":

1)I received about a 500% increase in offers for skins/other gifts.  A pity that A) You can't gift people skins for a 2 week period after befriending them and B) Not my real account.
These could have been empty offers.

2)The general atmosphere is 90% of the games I played were far more positive in behavior. There was a noticeable amount of less raging at teammates, and if there was it wasn't never directed at me.

"Cons":

1) I am a Gold level player and I am against pre-level 30 players. I could outplay most of them easily, however, as a "girl" I was treated as if I didn't know what I was doing and I was given multiple offers of "let me carry you <3", even when I was ahead. Basically no matter how much I displayed my skill, it was never acknowledged.

2) At least 3 different guys called me a prostitute of variation thereof. Not even as an intended insult. One asked me "So how much a night? ^^" while another just asked me to sleep with him outright. The last guy even got mad when I said no, and called me a cunt. Also nude pic requests.

3) "Why do I play so much worse when I'm with you babe? <3" - I don't know. Perhaps you are that desperate you are distracted by a female presence. Maybe you are trying to impress me and failing, and thus are starting to realize how bad at the game you are.

4) Get back in the kitchen jokes. Ugh.

That's my thoughts/findings on the first night. I'll do it again some other night. Overall, I'm torn so far on what I think of it. People being nice because they want to be on their best behaviour infront of a girl is so much less stressful than everyone fighting. On the other hand, being pestered constantly sexually and never treated as a gaming equal is very aggravating.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11890 on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:16 PM »

Was that twisted treeline or the new hexakill ?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11891 on: February 21, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »

It was Normal Blind. I probably should have played on Twisted Treeline or ARAM since apparently thats what girls "usually play"

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11892 on: February 21, 2014, 10:53:52 PM »

Fun fact: Most people in MMO's initially think I'm a girl due to behavior/mannerisms and such.

Not sure what that says about me, but I'm okay with it until guys start flirting with me.
which probably says a lot more about me than I'm comfortable tackling atm
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11893 on: February 21, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »

Hah. Well, I handle flirting easily. Obviously I have an advantage there. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11894 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »

Night one of my League of Legends experiment is complete. I've been pretending to be a girl too see what female gamers have to put up with. The hard part was trying to think of a way of letting it be suggested I'm a girl without busting in saying "Omgerd gurl gamer here boys". I came up with having a feminine username, something like "CottonCandy<3" and excessive use of emoticons. So if you see me spamming <3 everywhere, it's because of that.

I didn't wanna lie to anyone and say I was a girl either, so if they asked I said I was a boy. Most were coy and tried asking me where I was from and what my hobbies were, which I gave gender neutral answers to. In the end a lot of guys chose to believe I was a girl. I was at least expecting SOMEONE to say there are no girls on the Internet.

Results:

"Pros":

1)I received about a 500% increase in offers for skins/other gifts.  A pity that A) You can't gift people skins for a 2 week period after befriending them and B) Not my real account.
These could have been empty offers.

2)The general atmosphere is 90% of the games I played were far more positive in behavior. There was a noticeable amount of less raging at teammates, and if there was it wasn't never directed at me.

"Cons":

1) I am a Gold level player and I am against pre-level 30 players. I could outplay most of them easily, however, as a "girl" I was treated as if I didn't know what I was doing and I was given multiple offers of "let me carry you <3", even when I was ahead. Basically no matter how much I displayed my skill, it was never acknowledged.

2) At least 3 different guys called me a prostitute of variation thereof. Not even as an intended insult. One asked me "So how much a night? ^^" while another just asked me to sleep with him outright. The last guy even got mad when I said no, and called me a cunt. Also nude pic requests.

3) "Why do I play so much worse when I'm with you babe? <3" - I don't know. Perhaps you are that desperate you are distracted by a female presence. Maybe you are trying to impress me and failing, and thus are starting to realize how bad at the game you are.

4) Get back in the kitchen jokes. Ugh.

That's my thoughts/findings on the first night. I'll do it again some other night. Overall, I'm torn so far on what I think of it. People being nice because they want to be on their best behaviour infront of a girl is so much less stressful than everyone fighting. On the other hand, being pestered constantly sexually and never treated as a gaming equal is very aggravating.

That was a very interesting read. I've always had an interest in gender studies, and gaming sociology doesn't get a lot of serious research, so if you keep up your project, please continue to post results.

Also, you're a shitty gamer.
Post nude pics and get back in the kitchen.
I say this knowing you're male. I hope it compensates for the sexism you've had to endure. . . Highness. :D

Fun fact: Most people in MMO's initially think I'm a girl due to behavior/mannerisms and such.

Not sure what that says about me, but I'm okay with it until guys start flirting with me.
which probably says a lot more about me than I'm comfortable tackling atm
Hey there, sailor. Come here often? ;) 
<3
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 899 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: