Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:55:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327557 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 870 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 642838 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11955 on: February 25, 2014, 03:18:35 AM »

Aside from some weird thing where Windows gets stuck in a loop while booting if I leave my MP3-player in despite USB not being a priority, my HP Probook is doing a good job. Granted, I never really tested its limits, but I've had it for a year now and use it 5+ hours a day, ever day.

The only laptop I've had that was more reliable, was a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook way, way back. Probably still works now, but who's going to use a laptop with 64MB RAM?

I also liked my Micropoint Lunar M300. Well, aside from the power supply experimenting with spontanous combustion, that is. I bought Lunar used and despite being several years old it was still quite powerful when I got it. Once I had shoved some extra RAM in there it worked like a dream. It also had an insane amount of cardslots, USB-ports and tons more. I could hook it up to nearly anything. Thanks to that Lunar was a bit of a hero in university. Can't get a presentation to work on a school computer? Lecturer's laptop acting up again? Lunar to the rescue! It was also a pretty nice karaoke machine.

The one thing Lunar could not beat was time and I eventually had to replace it with something faster. The specs of the Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile I got after that where kinda shitty, but all I needed, so whatever. It was very cheap, but had a lovely screen and keyboard and was surprisingly reliable. Used it for four years and the main reason I replaced it early was to help my aunt and her family. Their laptop could die any moment and they didn't have money for a new one. So I gave it to them. Then a miracle happened and their laptop did not die, but my cousin (that aunt's daughter) dropped hers and they didn't have money for a new one either, so the Esprimo was passed on to them. I saw it a while ago and hardly recognised it. Cookie crumbles and dirt everywhere, both casing and screen covered in scratches... Poor, poor Esprimo ;_;

Oh well, atleast it's still useful...
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11956 on: February 25, 2014, 03:38:38 AM »

I spent roughly 8 hours of my life scouring Chinese blogs for a password to an encrypted archive. This would have been ridiculously frustrating even if I knew Chinese.
Add absurdly unreliable translation tools into the equation, and it would have been maddening even if the bastard actually gave his password instead of just telling people to check his other blog entries to find hints. And of course, Winrar doesn't tell you flat out when the password is incorrect, no it would extract the unprotected shit and THEN start spamming me with errors part way through the unpack. Just to build anticipation evidently.

In the end, the damn thing was a Callandor in the heart of the Stone riddle; the password was inside the damn archive. I'd considered this early on, but failed to realize the problem lay with one, just ONE of the characters not displaying properly. It required installing Chinese winrar. And even then, it gave password extraction errors until I unpacked by dragging the folder from the archive, and THEN pasting the password into the prompt.

I'd say it feels like an accomplishment that I finally beat the fucker, but it feels more like an ulcer and a day of my life I'll never get back.

/grumpy drunken rant
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11957 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:39 AM »

Studying from an anki deck of example Japanese sentences sometimes the most random sentences come up:

私には酒を飲む以外に何も楽しみがない

Which translates to: "I don't enjoy anything besides drinking."

Yes, this is a very important thing to know how to say ;)

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11958 on: February 25, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »

Studying from an anki deck of example Japanese sentences sometimes the most random sentences come up:

私には酒を飲む以外に何も楽しみがない

Which translates to: "I don't enjoy anything besides drinking."

Yes, this is a very important thing to know how to say ;)

Anki is my study-lover.  I honestly believe q-cards (and a program to generate them) IS best way to learn.

I'll join on that sentence. 

So, like seriously Kevadu.  Are we ever going to be bff's and go to Japan together?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11959 on: February 25, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »

Was dusting off my collectibles today and I remembered a long time ago a friend of mine got me a Rinoa figurine for Christmas. It was back when I was still a little hesitant of embracing my inner geek and so I put it away somewhere. Now I'm sad I have no idea what happened to it.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11960 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:24 AM »

This is the weirdest job I've ever had. December I sat at my desk and lesson planned, and was bored out of my mind. January was hella busy. February - nothing but planning again and I'm stir crazy. March will start to pick up and then April/May are hella busy. Peaks and valleys with no inbetween.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11961 on: February 26, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »

Wow, I didn't know other people here used Anki. I mainly use it to study Korean grammar points, as I dislike using Anki for vocab. I may use Anki just to maintain my knowledge in Japanese and Mandarin even though I'm not actively studying either language.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11962 on: February 26, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »

I used to use Anki for studying foreign languages, back before my interest in foreign languages died completely.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11963 on: February 26, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »

I used to use Anki for studying foreign languages, back before my interest in foreign languages died completely.

I wish mine would die. I have zero aptitude for languages reliant on visual memory and spend most of my study time reviewing instead of learning.
 But I'm in too deep to go back now.
Meanwhile, Heidegger is judging me silently for slacking in more important studies my mind can actually grasp.

That guy can be a real nazi sometimes.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11964 on: February 26, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »

Listening to some Janis Joplin, damn, every time I hear her voice I fall in love again....what a talent

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11965 on: February 27, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »

Next time someone asks me if I'm seeing anyone, I'm going to tell them I had a girlfriend but she was a PCP addict and started hallucinating one night and killed her family and then dismembered herself.

And that's when I became a brony.

--- edit ---

Also I went to get my laundry and there was some guy I didn't recognize on the staircase between my floor and the second floor and fff hope it wasn't some homeless dude that just wandered in. Mail's on the first floor and laundry's in the next building over, two other units on my floor are inhabited by a bunch of Asian guys that only hang around with other Asian guys and this wasn't an Asian guy so like I have no idea why he was here. Man I'm paranoid :DDDD

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11966 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »

I use alcohol free mouth wash since one of my salivary glands got destroyed by radiation treatment.  Anyways I ran out of Biotene and tried Crest Pro Health Alcohol Free Mouthwash.  That thing sucked all the remaining moisture in my mouth out.   It's like cotton mouth x1000.  So I went online to see if other people had the same problem and damn the side effects are bad.  Apparently it can stain your teeth brown and cause your taste buds to temporarily stop working.  Now I am super paranoid I am going to wake up to brown teeth.  I'm going back to Biotene ASAP.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11967 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

Mesh, didn't you major in Russian or something like that?

My interest in languages was too strong to the point where I was studying Korean, Japanese and Chinese at the same time...so I had to just back off of my two weakest languages and just stick to Korean for now so that I didn't burn out. Now I don't feel like learning Korean is a major burden anymore and have more time for other hobbies again.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11968 on: February 27, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »

I got caught in hail stones and now my everything stings.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11969 on: February 27, 2014, 01:01:10 PM »

I got caught in hail stones and now my everything stings.

everything

;)
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 870 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: