Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 10:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332713 Posts in 13631 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 888 Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 696697 times)
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13065 on: August 07, 2014, 07:48:15 AM »

I just got some devastating news.  My mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.  Yeah...

My uncle suffered with it for years (her older brother).  He passed away back in May of a heart attack, though.  

Looks like I need to find some more Bike-a-thons to ride in the future.  I definitely want to do the cancer ride every year, but I'm also looking for a Parkinson's ride (for my mom and uncle; I think there is a Philly based one), and a diabetes ride (it runs in my family, my dad has it).  

I figure, a bicycle was the biggest agent of change in my life, so I can use that vehicle as an agent of change for other peoples' lives.  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:04:54 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13066 on: August 07, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »

((bro hug for Din))
I'm sorry to hear that about your mom. I know very little about Parkinsons. Can people live a relatively decent life with it for a while? Does it actually kill you, or just debilitate you? No matter, that's a rough thing to take.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13067 on: August 07, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »

It's a degenerative disease, so it's more debilitating as far as I know.  I don't think the disease itself is fatal, but complications that arise from it can reduce life expectancy.  

EDIT: I just found out a few days ago about this benefit bike-a-thon for Parkinson's happening near me, and I'm doing it:
http://www.shakeitoff4pd.org/pd500-rock-n-roll-bike-ride.html  

Here's my fundraising page: https://fundraising.active.com/fundraiser/NealChandran
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:25:48 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13068 on: August 08, 2014, 04:18:32 AM »

I just got some devastating news.  My mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.  Yeah...

My uncle suffered with it for years (her older brother).  He passed away back in May of a heart attack, though.  

Looks like I need to find some more Bike-a-thons to ride in the future.  I definitely want to do the cancer ride every year, but I'm also looking for a Parkinson's ride (for my mom and uncle; I think there is a Philly based one), and a diabetes ride (it runs in my family, my dad has it).  

I figure, a bicycle was the biggest agent of change in my life, so I can use that vehicle as an agent of change for other peoples' lives.  

That is really shitty. Sorry dude. :(

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13069 on: August 08, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »

On the contrary, it's kind of hard to look down on someone who has a profession such as accounting the way people do when you work (barely above) minimum wage in retail.

I know several accountants. I hate to to burst your bubble, but no one likes accountants...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13070 on: August 08, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the unfortunate news Din. Health problems, particularly any chronic and/or degenerative conditions are not something I would ever wish on anyone. Its bad enough that generally any serious detriment to your health status makes you feel lousy, but the psychological impact of knowing you will constantly be contending with feeling a greater or lesser degree of "bad" really sucks.

Thoughts, prayers and well wishing go out to you and Momma-Crest this day buddy. Take care.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13071 on: August 08, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »

oh wow
that was amazing
so there's a stinkbug on my window and I was looking at it
but like as I walked by it my head moved and the sun streaked across my field of vision
so I have this negative after image burnt into my eye from the sun, with a missing spot where the stinkbug was.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13072 on: August 09, 2014, 01:09:45 AM »

for an interesting time look up art drawn by schizophrenics
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13073 on: August 09, 2014, 01:28:56 AM »

Oh hey you found my pony OC!

... Ever notice how trees are just, like, planet hair?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:18:24 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13074 on: August 09, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »

I'm scared. Crazy neighbour is yelling at the voices in his head again. It's about me. Basically he wants terrible things to happen to me. His case worker assured me he won't do anything to me, but I'm not so sure. This guy doesn't understand boundaries.

I kinda want to move back in with my parents, or maybe rent a room from my aunt. I used to love living here, but now I'm hiding in my own home whenever he's nearby.

Edit: He's slamming doors and I think I'm hyperventilating. This sucks.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:27:11 PM by Tomara » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13075 on: August 09, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »

To hell with his case worker, call the cops :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13076 on: August 09, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »

To hell with his case worker, call the cops :(

Definitely, that's really messed up and this fella needs some serious help.  Forget the case worker, make a call.  Certainly you've done nothing to warrant such behaviour against yourself nor should you have to be fearful if you can keep hearing him go off.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13077 on: August 09, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »

The case worker can't predict the actions of a madman. Take action immediately. Don't risk it.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13078 on: August 09, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »

What everyone says.
+ How about a restraining order. Not because he'd listen to it, but it could force him to move away.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13079 on: August 10, 2014, 03:08:29 AM »

That's kind of the problem: other neighbours have called the police, but they can't do much. The case worker has always assured them it's nothing too bad.

On the other hand, now that I was the subject of his aggressive ramblings, I have every right to consider it a threat and file a complaint with the police. All the others could do was file a complaint about the noice level of the ramblings. Combine the threat with some other things he has done (property damage and... trespressing, I think that's what you call it in English) I should have pretty strong case.

Thanks. I feel better knowing there's atleast something I can do.
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 888 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: