Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #14340 on: April 08, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
^Is it weird that I actually feel better having read that?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

zergrav

• Software Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14341 on: April 08, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »
SECOND PET PEEVE!

Guys with 40+ inch waists and massive guts telling me that eating a vegan salad for lunch 5 days a week isn't "manly".  They keep calling it "rabbit food".

QUESTION! IS EARLY ONSET DIABETES MANLY?? HOW ABOUT A QUADRUPLE BYPASS??? IS THAT CONSIDERED TOUGH??  HOW ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK UP OUR FRONT STEPS WITHOUT STOPPING TO CATCH YOUR BREATH??  THAT'S TOUGH GUY AMIRITE?? WHAT ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE YOUR DIRTY PARTS IN THE SHOWER??

Sorry, just had to...

let off some steam (bennett)

Need Anger Management much? (LOL xD )

When unrealistic solutions are required, reach into your satchel of Black Magic and make it a reality :)

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14342 on: April 08, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
SECOND PET PEEVE!

Guys with 40+ inch waists and massive guts telling me that eating a vegan salad for lunch 5 days a week isn't "manly".  They keep calling it "rabbit food".

QUESTION! IS EARLY ONSET DIABETES MANLY?? HOW ABOUT A QUADRUPLE BYPASS??? IS THAT CONSIDERED TOUGH??  HOW ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK UP OUR FRONT STEPS WITHOUT STOPPING TO CATCH YOUR BREATH??  THAT'S TOUGH GUY AMIRITE?? WHAT ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE YOUR DIRTY PARTS IN THE SHOWER??

Sorry, just had to...

let off some steam (bennett)

That's one reason I love being Indian.  When it comes to vegetarian food, Indian is the best, bar none.  You go to any Indian restaurant, it's all about the veggie stuff.  I love Mediterranean veggie food as well (spanakopita, falafel).  It sucks that the western world sees vegetarian or vegan food as flavorless slop or rabbit food.  A few years ago, I hosted a vegeterian/vegan potluck at my house and the food everyone cooked was amazing.  (I played in a punk band at the time so a lot of my friends in the scene were vegetarian or vegan.)  We feasted like kings that night.  The food was sexy, it was indulgent, it was stuff you'd crave late at night.  I crave falafel the way "average American" guys crave burgers.  

I strive to be an ethical omnivore.

And on other notes, I hate how so many things in American society are considered "effeminate" or "gay" or "un-manly."  I'm nuts about soccer and bicycling- both of which are considered "gay" sports in the US.  My favorite activity to do with my dad is shop for clothes.  Why is that considered such a "prissy chick" activity in the US?  And how in blue blazes is quiche NOT a manly food?  It's meat, egg, and cheese in a pie crust for crying out loud!  (Of course, I like my quiches loaded with vegetables, like spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, and asparagus.)  

I swear, I live on the wrong continent.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:34:45 PM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Logick

• View Profile
« Reply #14343 on: April 09, 2015, 04:36:08 AM »
So I got a few job offers coming in, but I'm noticing a trend, happened twice so far.  "We're sorry but the job of tools engineer(level editor art tools etc) is going to someone else due to <hiring a friend/one asshole didn't like you/just cause>, but you did amazing in the programming test, and the whole team likes you, how about build engineer?".  I'm not even a fucking build engineer, its just the fucking game industry can't find anyone interested in maintaining the automated builds of the game, and making sure the game auto tests and is fit for QA.  That's great its just not for me.  At Maxis thanks to my boss, the build engineers were valued and such and I helped them out during my down time(I fear this lead me to this situation).  Found out chatting with them that outside of maxis everyone treated them as second class citizens, not surprising the game industry is backwards.  Kinda like me when I started doing tools back in the days.  Now build engineers are the new second class citizens and everyone wants me in that role. 

One company assured me I would be doing game tools in a year and that they don't treat them as second class citizens.  The other team decided to hire their friend in the senior tools role but they liked me so much they decided to make this role, they said unofficially I'd be back to doing game tools come launch, and they said yes there will be resistance in getting the other engineers to comply to a build system, so yeah second class citizen. 

going indie is looking more and more attractive.....but alas I like paychecks and I can't manage others worth a shit.
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #14344 on: April 09, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »
SECOND PET PEEVE!

Guys with 40+ inch waists and massive guts telling me that eating a vegan salad for lunch 5 days a week isn't "manly".  They keep calling it "rabbit food".

QUESTION! IS EARLY ONSET DIABETES MANLY?? HOW ABOUT A QUADRUPLE BYPASS??? IS THAT CONSIDERED TOUGH??  HOW ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK UP OUR FRONT STEPS WITHOUT STOPPING TO CATCH YOUR BREATH??  THAT'S TOUGH GUY AMIRITE?? WHAT ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE YOUR DIRTY PARTS IN THE SHOWER??

The bigger questions is: Why are you eating or hanging out at a place where big belly dudes regularly harass you about your food? Maybe it's time to start eating elsewhere, cuz that's not common. Not among civilized people, anyway...
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14345 on: April 09, 2015, 10:36:09 AM »
Which means, our boy either lives in the deep south or deep in the heartland. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14346 on: April 09, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »
Indiana. Nailed it.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #14347 on: April 09, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »
any tips on taxes?

I've had a ton of family shit going on, then took a vacation and now smoke is coming out of my ears.

I usually have someone do them but last time he charged me 120 bucks

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #14348 on: April 09, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »
any tips on taxes?

I've had a ton of family shit going on, then took a vacation and now smoke is coming out of my ears.

I usually have someone do them but last time he charged me 120 bucks

Are your particular taxes too complicated to do yourself online (Legitimate question - Not trying to make any implications or insults.)? The reason I ask is that even complex taxes can be done and filed online for much cheaper than $120/yr. You may even qualify for a free file service, if you don't make a ton of money yourself. I recommend H&R or 1040.com either way, if you decide to go that route.
Even if you'd rather not do them online, $120 is much cheaper than what one could owe the feds if taxes are done incorrectly (Again, making no implications. Speaking from experience).

"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Logick

• View Profile
« Reply #14349 on: April 09, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
Ok guys I could really use some help.

Help me decide on my next job.  I got three offers.  Please don't bother guessing who is who, I won't answer.

Job 1: Big AAA game developer but at a studio of theirs that has only made mediocre games and had sizeable layoffs after each.  Was at first going to be a senior tools developer(making design and art tools), now its build engineer(making the automated program that takes the code and art/design data and makes it into game data).  I get to work in a sizable team for once, and I got a good friend there.  Downside is, the commute is 2 hours so I'd have to move, and they're going to pay the lowest of the three, and the area is expensive.

Job 2: Former Blizzard guys making a free to play PC/Mobile game for Korea(then the rest of Asia, then the west).   They're going for the honest free to play model like league of legends, and I actually played the game on mobile and liked it(OMG a mobile game that I'd play, someone check hell it may be frozen).  The pros are I would be the lead tools guy, get some professional unity work, wouldn't have to move, and the team is small and lots of experienced folk.  Downsides, its a startup, really getting sick of them going under when I'm in them, they were honest with me about stability(which I admire), also ....mobile.. if this game fails, then it proves it mobile isn't about fun, its about skinner boxes.

Job 3: REALLY big company that wants to get into games, bought a few game studios, this is one of them.  The pay is REALLY nice, once again interviewed for tools, but one guy (who isn't in the game team or even on the same hemisphere) didn't like me, so they offered me build engineer with the promise it will turn to tools.  Team is small, no one in my age range(mostly veterans), just got bought out, but the company who bought them they're known for aiming big and if they fail to clean shop.  In addition they do stack ranking(the bottom 20% of a team even if they're good are punished to whip the other 80% in shape, this is why MS fell behind), and have insane turnover, but this team is super cool.  Oh and I'd have to move also(2 hour commute).

Also one other things there's another job I REALLY want from another AAA game dev who wants to maintain two small teams near me, they won't have an opening, until later this year, but they really liked me, I do want to wait for them.  Also I'm working with two respectable indies nearby also, both are going to be able to talk full time in a few months.....

Thanks guys.
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X

zergrav

• Software Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14350 on: April 10, 2015, 01:48:19 AM »
Job 1: Big AAA game developer but at a studio of theirs that has only made mediocre games and had sizeable layoffs after each.  Was at first going to be a senior tools developer(making design and art tools), now its build engineer(making the automated program that takes the code and art/design data and makes it into game data).  I get to work in a sizable team for once, and I got a good friend there.  Downside is, the commute is 2 hours so I'd have to move, and they're going to pay the lowest of the three, and the area is expensive.

That wasn't  Εά ςΡσŕΤζ was it?(safe from "big brother" this way)
When unrealistic solutions are required, reach into your satchel of Black Magic and make it a reality :)

Logick

• View Profile
« Reply #14351 on: April 10, 2015, 03:46:22 AM »
That wasn't  Εά ςΡσŕΤζ was it?(safe from "big brother" this way)
If its who I think you're stating, then no.  I came from them.  Kinda want to go back.
~Malcolm X

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #14352 on: April 10, 2015, 06:45:25 AM »
From my perspective #2 sounds best. While it may be a start-up, they do seem to have a good idea of what they're doing. You get to do the work you want to do, and you like the game, right? Being able to work something you can be proud of is important. Since you won't have to move this seems to me like the safest bet. Well, as long as they're the type of studio that doesn't pay with promises but with actual money.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14353 on: April 10, 2015, 07:20:21 AM »
Yeah, in any case definitely don't sign on the dotted line without a contract.  

EDIT: And never forget to ask yourself the obvious question: Can you put a price tag on your happiness/ sanity? 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:14:56 AM by Dincrest »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #14354 on: April 10, 2015, 09:47:27 AM »
From my perspective #2 sounds best. While it may be a start-up, they do seem to have a good idea of what they're doing. You get to do the work you want to do, and you like the game, right? Being able to work something you can be proud of is important. Since you won't have to move this seems to me like the safest bet. Well, as long as they're the type of studio that doesn't pay with promises but with actual money.

This. Also, they were honest with you from the get go. Good sign. It's one of those cases where you'd have to have a bit of extra faith in the team and project, but it sounds like the best choice, IMO.