Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #14940 on: July 19, 2015, 06:09:41 PM »
I was at a camping festival called Smitefest this past weekend.  It was always my favorite festival when I used to play with Pool of Thorns so it's the only one I decided to go to this summer.  On Friday night I sat in with the band for a song, the fans were howling (a good majority of the crowd knew me before and miss me), and I even got some action afterwards.  I didn't get back to my tent till 4AM and barely got any sleep.  In other words, it was a total rock star night.  

Saturday was hot and I was pretty dead, so I mostly just lay around in the shade of a tree or played frisbee with random people.  Then a massive thunderstorm hit and a couple of lightning bolts hit incredibly close to the campgrounds.  Good thing I was wearing a dri-fit jersey and mountain bike shorts or I'd have been a sopping wet mess.  The storm passed, the remaining bands played, and I called it a night early (read: 1 AM.)  

I'm tired as hell right now and my allergies are the worst they've ever been today, but it was totally worth it.  
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14941 on: July 19, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »
Oh yeah, quick shout out to StarMongoose: loving the new avatar and sig. It fits so well.

Nothing is different. Move along.

(All credit goes to the lovely and amazing Dice! )

Love that avatar and sig. ;)

Also, this came in the other day!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14942 on: July 19, 2015, 10:44:17 PM »
Thank you! :) I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Dice has given my channel +10 to professionalism.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14943 on: July 19, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »
And then I realized that I had no idea what a Scottish accent even sounded like.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14944 on: July 19, 2015, 11:36:04 PM »
Mine isn't the best any more, having lived in Ireland and Germany. It got a bit mixed and diluted, still, mostly Scottish. :P

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #14945 on: July 20, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
I prefer your Scottish accent to something like Sir Connery, where it sounds like you're going to get showered if you stand within 30 feet of the man.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14946 on: July 20, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »
I need to vent about work because I feel like I'm about to put my fist through a wall.

Our team's lead business analyst has been lobbying to get a dedicated resource to design the user interface for a few months now. I agree with doing this, because none of us have any real UI design experience. Anyway, we get a UI guy.

1. Prior to this, lead BA was telling me not to spec out certain things because they would have to be decided by the UI resource. I relay this to the client, because I need to explain why certain things either aren't specified and/or are subject to change.

2. Lead BA finds out that the UI guy wants a longer period of time to go through everything so that he can properly and starts complaining that UI guy is only in it for he money. Management gives UI guy about a fourth of the time he was requesting. As a result, UI guy is no longer doing the stuff the lead BA was telling us he was going to do.

3. Lead BA complains about me telling the client that certain things would need to be decided by the UI guy. Lead BA tells me not to blame him when I tell him that I was just repeating what he said.

4. UI guy offers a number of suggestions. Lead BA shoots all of them down.

4.a. UI guy tells lead BA that he can't work if lead BA keeps shooting down all of his ideas. Lead BA responds by laughing.

4.b. UI guy and graphic designer have a meeting where they talk about what they want to do. Lead BA spends the entire meeting playing with a coaster.

5. UI guy is working with a graphics designer. Lead BA keeps describing her role as "just applying color to the UI wireframes."

6. Lead BA makes suggestions that require him to do some additional work, with regards to estimating or planning or whatever. Lead BA refuses to do any additional work and immediately backpedals from his suggestions when the suggestion of additional work comes up. Lead BA whines about nobody listening to his suggestions.

7. Lead BA can't communicate worth shit. I don't listen to a number of his suggestions because they don't make sense or approach anything resembling grammatical.

8. Lead BA compulsively eats paper and plastic.

Meanwhile I've been having a psychotic break or whatever for most of the day over the prospect of having to deal with this shit when I get back in to work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:34:15 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14947 on: July 21, 2015, 12:39:41 AM »
It is hot as balls in Pennsylvania and I hate hate hate summer so much and I forget every damn year. :(

We have upgraded from one air conditioner to two, and it's still too hot.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14948 on: July 21, 2015, 12:46:51 AM »
Decline Bench Press Machine
450 pounds
2 reps

Not to quote He-Man...buuuuuuutttttttt

I HAVE THE POWWWAAAAAAAA!!!!!

TASTY!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14949 on: July 21, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
It is hot as balls in Pennsylvania and I hate hate hate summer so much and I forget every damn year. :(

The camping festival I talked about in my last post was in Milton PA, right by the Susquehanna river.  When it wasn't storming, the heat was brutal. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

zergrav

• Software Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14950 on: July 21, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »
I need to vent about work because I feel like I'm about to put my fist through a wall.

Our team's lead business analyst has been lobbying to get a dedicated resource to design the user interface for a few months now. I agree with doing this, because none of us have any real UI design experience. Anyway, we get a UI guy.

1. Prior to this, lead BA was telling me not to spec out certain things because they would have to be decided by the UI resource. I relay this to the client, because I need to explain why certain things either aren't specified and/or are subject to change.

2. Lead BA finds out that the UI guy wants a longer period of time to go through everything so that he can properly and starts complaining that UI guy is only in it for he money. Management gives UI guy about a fourth of the time he was requesting. As a result, UI guy is no longer doing the stuff the lead BA was telling us he was going to do.

3. Lead BA complains about me telling the client that certain things would need to be decided by the UI guy. Lead BA tells me not to blame him when I tell him that I was just repeating what he said.

4. UI guy offers a number of suggestions. Lead BA shoots all of them down.

4.a. UI guy tells lead BA that he can't work if lead BA keeps shooting down all of his ideas. Lead BA responds by laughing.

4.b. UI guy and graphic designer have a meeting where they talk about what they want to do. Lead BA spends the entire meeting playing with a coaster.

5. UI guy is working with a graphics designer. Lead BA keeps describing her role as "just applying color to the UI wireframes."

6. Lead BA makes suggestions that require him to do some additional work, with regards to estimating or planning or whatever. Lead BA refuses to do any additional work and immediately backpedals from his suggestions when the suggestion of additional work comes up. Lead BA whines about nobody listening to his suggestions.

7. Lead BA can't communicate worth shit. I don't listen to a number of his suggestions because they don't make sense or approach anything resembling grammatical.

8. Lead BA compulsively eats paper and plastic.

Meanwhile I've been having a psychotic break or whatever for most of the day over the prospect of having to deal with this shit when I get back in to work tomorrow.

Holy crap. That sounds ridiculous. Sounds like you work at Red Hat haha xD

Don't you have a PM and Team Manager as well? Or, if it's trying to be a diehard SCRUM shop, where the hell is the Product Owner? Even the SCRUM master?

Did you check the employee handbook for filing anonymous complaints (hopefully your handbook has procedures for that beyond the standard anti-harassment policy.

In any case, that sounds like an untenable nightmare. The BA is a team's "voice of the business". In this case, are you sure they didn't outsource the role to of BA to Dunder Mifflin?  Lol xD
When unrealistic solutions are required, reach into your satchel of Black Magic and make it a reality :)

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14951 on: July 21, 2015, 09:44:09 AM »

The camping festival I talked about in my last post was in Milton PA, right by the Susquehanna river.  When it wasn't storming, the heat was brutal. 

Which campground in Milton? My parents are currently working at the Yogi Bear one.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14952 on: July 21, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »
I've been watching too much steven universe,  I've drawn my inner effeminate crystal gem. Opal is my birthstone.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14953 on: July 21, 2015, 06:25:11 PM »

Which campground in Milton? My parents are currently working at the Yogi Bear one.

We were at Steel Steeds.  Not even a hop, skip, and jump down the road from Yogi Bear. 

This was my third year going to Smitefest (though my first purely as an attendee and not a performer).  The last couple of years it was held at Susquehanna campgrounds in Jersey Shore PA (near Williamsport) and this was the first time it was at Steel Steeds.  The former site was larger and further from any roads, but Steel Steeds, while smaller, was nicer, better kept, and had better amenities. 

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14954 on: July 21, 2015, 07:05:48 PM »
I wish I liked festivals--I'm too introverted and I can't dance. I enjoy music but I always want to leave early when I do something like go to a concert. I guess I'm more the type to listen to my preferred music at home alone.

On the other hand, I love camping, but I prefer camping at Knoebels in Elysburg because I like the combination of camping and amusement park!