Author Topic: Whats the haps?  (Read 3613665 times)

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #16800 on: May 19, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
I don't know how to explain it but I normally don't like pickles and I've tried all sorts, but I can't get enough of Five Guys' pickles.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #16801 on: May 19, 2016, 07:45:32 PM »
If you've played Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, you've spent enough time with Kyoko Kuremi to know there's nothing quite like coffee with mayonnaise. 

As for me, my preference is for black coffee, nice and strong. 

I like pickles too.  If you ever go down south, deep fried dill pickle slices are a thing... and they are delicious. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16802 on: May 19, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »

I like pickles too.  If you ever go down south, deep fried dill pickle slices are a thing... and they are delicious. 

Fried pickles are amazing. I beer batter and fry my own. Using pickles I made myself.
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16803 on: May 19, 2016, 11:34:23 PM »
I've never bothered with Five Guys. They opened one near my work a while back, and I was abhorred at the prices people were telling me they were paying. I've had gourmet ground steak burgers from steak houses that were cheaper than that.

You're not missing much in my opinion.  I gave Five Guys a try just to see what all the hype was about and my conclusion was pretty much:  Wait...that's it?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #16804 on: May 20, 2016, 03:23:29 AM »
So, uh, what is typical American fast-food anyway? I know about stuff like burgers, but what else is there?

Here in the Netherlands greasy fast-food is one big clusterfuck of cultures. Anytime a significant amount of a new culture is added to the mixing pot, Dutch fastfood gains new ingredients. For instance, most Chinese restaurants serve a combination of Chinese and Indonesian foods, and the snackbar segment of the industry turned that into things like bamischijven. There are dozens of ways to serve fries, many have names that make little to no sense. Een patatje oorlog (fries war-style) comes with (Dutch) mayonaise and, depending on the region, curry or peanut sauce and perhaps finely chopped onions. I read we call it a 'war' because the end result looks like a battlefield. A patatje samurai comes with mayonaise and sambal (this one probably has racist origins. There's this stereotype that people who work at Chinese restaurants can't speak Dutch and ask 'Sambal bij'. And since so many people don't know the difference between China and Japan... Not to mention that sambal isn't even Chinese...). More recent 'inventions' include dietary disasters like the infamous patatje kapsalon.   

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:28:12 AM by Tomara »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16805 on: May 20, 2016, 04:04:13 AM »
So, uh, what is typical American fast-food anyway? I know about stuff like burgers, but what else is there?

Here in the Netherlands greasy fast-food is one big clusterfuck of cultures. Anytime a significant amount of a new culture is added to the mixing pot, Dutch fastfood gains new ingredients. For instance, most Chinese restaurants serve a combination of Chinese and Indonesian foods, and the snackbar segment of the industry turned that into things like bamischijven. There are dozens of ways to serve fries, many have names that make little to no sense. Een patatje oorlog (fries war-style) comes with (Dutch) mayonaise and, depending on the region, curry or peanut sauce and perhaps finely chopped onions. I read we call it a 'war' because the end result looks like a battlefield. A patatje samurai comes with mayonaise and sambal (this one probably has racist origins. There's this stereotype that people who work at Chinese restaurants can't speak Dutch and ask 'Sambal bij'. And since so many people don't know the difference between China and Japan... Not to mention that sambal isn't even Chinese...). More recent 'inventions' include dietary disasters like the infamous patatje kapsalon.   

Umm well there's Taco Bell which is just Mexican tacos/Burritos. There's Jack in the Box which is kinda burgers again but they have lots of like breakfast stuff Croissant egg things and the like available as well.

KFC is pretty good Kentucky Friend Chicken, Popeye's chicken is a bit tastier though IMO. It's all fried chicken for the most part some biscuits/Wedges sides like that.

Chinese well Panda Express I suppose Orange Chicken etc etc.

Lots of Subway sandwich type places primarily Subway and I've been to this place called Jersey Mikes which is pretty good.

I can't really think of much Indian/Indonesian fast food but it may very well exist...

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #16806 on: May 20, 2016, 09:25:14 AM »
dietary disasters like the infamous patatje kapsalon.   

That seems down right healthy in the land that put a double bacon cheeseburger between two over-glazed donuts.

But yes, most of our fast food includes burgers, hot dogs, fried chicken, pizza and American-Chinese food. Also, American fast food joints have lately been obsessed with spicy.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16807 on: May 20, 2016, 09:48:12 AM »
fast food = fat food.  It's basically the American slogan for eating in general.

But none of them have anything on THIS 7 patty whooper from Japan (and Brazil) that the American Food And Drug Administration actually said no to.

There was probably too much sawdust in that much low grade meat to pass the FDA screening.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16808 on: May 20, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »
^ While I'm personally not about to fuck with a burger even half that size, t'aint nothin wrong with indulging in some greasy delight now and then. Like anything in life, it's best in moderation. I personally can't eat that kind of shit every day, just like I can't eat rabbit food (salads) every day.  Just last night, I had the Bourbon Bacon & Brisket sandwich from Arby's. First time I've had fast food in weeks. I don't mind telling you, it was damn delicious. Sipped on a glass of Appleton Estate 12 Year after that, and I was straight as a lamp post.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16809 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »
I'm sorry guys, Scotland wins in the "most unhealthy fast food" debate, hands down.

Just google a "Munchy Box".

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16810 on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:28 AM »
^ I was admittedly apprehensive googling that. Almost expected to be goatse'd.

That's both crazy and awesome. A stoner's dream. ...Hence the obvious name.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #16811 on: May 20, 2016, 02:01:54 PM »
Please tell me people don't try to eat one of those on their own. It's meant to be shared with some friends, right? Please tell me that's right.

dietary disasters like the infamous patatje kapsalon.   

That seems down right healthy in the land that put a double bacon cheeseburger between two over-glazed donuts.

I don't understand why anyone would want to eat something like that. It's just one big stack of salt, sugar and fat.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16812 on: May 20, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
Yeah, its definitely meant to be shared. Though I've seen many an attempt to do one solo. :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #16813 on: May 20, 2016, 05:44:39 PM »
The TV show "Man Vs. Food" is relevant to this discussion.  And I have to mention the "Grease Trucks" and "Fat Sandwiches" from back when I attended Rutgers.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_trucks

And Thumbs Up to Dagg for this:

Fried pickles are amazing. I beer batter and fry my own. Using pickles I made myself.
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16814 on: May 20, 2016, 06:33:31 PM »
Columbus, OH's main fast food presence to me is Wendy's, Bibibop, Chipotle, Subway, and Panera. So basically 60% sandwiches, 60% watching people put stuff on bread/a wrap/a bowl.

Meanwhile one of my favorite restaurants, Till -- the one with the vegan poutine -- closed recently so fduacnkg.

Unrelated, but I was listening to Radiohead - Amnesiac and Future - DS2, and the parallels between Pull/Pulk Revolving Doors and modern trap music really hit me. Also reminded me that I'd REALLY like to hear Southside score a Megaten game.

Doubly unrelated but is this a real megaten thing or just someone's fursona?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:46:24 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`