Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #16965 on: June 13, 2016, 08:47:04 PM »
Oh and as far as age stories I like to tell this one which is my mom is 70 years old and she gets really bored of like pop music like KPOP or Taylor Swift, etc.

Like it isn't nearly active or exciting enough for her haha!

My mom's in her mid-60s and a few years ago, while I was still playing in a punk band who used to rehearse at my house, she saw some TV performance by the band Daughtry and exclaimed, "What is this crap?!?!  Is THIS what passes for rock these days?!?!  These guys look like wussy mama's boys!  Where's the grit?!?!  Where's the danger?!?!  Where's the intensity?!?!  Neal, your band would eat these losers for lunch."  (Although Kryovax's music was more dissonant than she likes, she loved my bandmates and that the songs were meaningful and stood for something. And lately I've even gotten her to listen to some good prog and power metal.)

When she married my dad and moved to England in the 1970s, she got exposed to UK proto-punk and proto-metal bands in the pubs of Manchester and their whole raw, gritty, "telling the truth that no one else wants to tell you" vibe just resonated with her.  And when I was in high school, she got exposed to that generation of rock music; bands like Nirvana and Rage Against the Machine.  So for her, THAT is rock. 

...Yeah, I'd say deep down, my mom has the soul of a punk. 

Anyway, haps.  Ride weekend went really well.  Despite my trip odometer on my cyclocomputer saying 66.6 miles, my legs feel pretty good.  I also had a MUCH needed mini-vacation, which was glorious.  I look forward to doing it again next year. 

Next up- my autism ride in September. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16966 on: June 14, 2016, 02:36:49 AM »
Oh and as far as age stories I like to tell this one which is my mom is 70 years old and she gets really bored of like pop music like KPOP or Taylor Swift, etc.

Like it isn't nearly active or exciting enough for her haha!

My mom's in her mid-60s and a few years ago, while I was still playing in a punk band who used to rehearse at my house, she saw some TV performance by the band Daughtry and exclaimed, "What is this crap?!?!  Is THIS what passes for rock these days?!?!  These guys look like wussy mama's boys!  Where's the grit?!?!  Where's the danger?!?!  Where's the intensity?!?!  Neal, your band would eat these losers for lunch."  (Although Kryovax's music was more dissonant than she likes, she loved my bandmates and that the songs were meaningful and stood for something. And lately I've even gotten her to listen to some good prog and power metal.)

When she married my dad and moved to England in the 1970s, she got exposed to UK proto-punk and proto-metal bands in the pubs of Manchester and their whole raw, gritty, "telling the truth that no one else wants to tell you" vibe just resonated with her.  And when I was in high school, she got exposed to that generation of rock music; bands like Nirvana and Rage Against the Machine.  So for her, THAT is rock. 

...Yeah, I'd say deep down, my mom has the soul of a punk. 

Anyway, haps.  Ride weekend went really well.  Despite my trip odometer on my cyclocomputer saying 66.6 miles, my legs feel pretty good.  I also had a MUCH needed mini-vacation, which was glorious.  I look forward to doing it again next year. 

Next up- my autism ride in September. 

Yeah... I've been finding that more and more, and the reverse is well I've encountered people a few years younger or whatever who are super straight arrows, like lots I've noticed are repelled by Miley Cyrus and stuff and I'm like you know it's just pop music at the end of the day.. The simple fact is the only things you know with the age of someone are things like how much back pain they possibly endure on a day to day basis, pretty much nothing about what goes on on the inside.

Anyway the haps is I was scrolling through 3DS games and I came across Eternal Eden and then in the wikipedia "critic Neal Chandran awarded the game #1 of his Editor’s Pick choices of 2008" Haha! Well anyway I couldn't help but come back here and mention it.. =-P. I guess I should read the review as well perhaps.

It looked pretty interesting, I thought it was interesting also about it being an RPGmaker game that made it on to the 3DS.

Other ones that jumped out were Azure Striker Gunvolt, DOA dimensions, Maiden Magna Heaven (not sure the exact title), and some others although I'm currently playing Code of Princess still of course.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:40:24 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16967 on: June 14, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »
The girlfriend (I'll get used to calling her the other word, eventually...) has been in Chicago since Saturday and I've slept like hell every night she's been gone.  I find this to be both incredibly sappy (dawwwwwwww) and also strange considering we only recently switched from our old bedroom setup (where we pushed two full sized beds together to form one giant "superbed") to a more common queen bed deal.  I've always hated sleeping next to someone (and the superbed helped give me the room I need to get some sack time) and yet now that I'm not, I end up laying awake until 3:30 every night.  Only 5 and half more weeks of this I guess.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16968 on: June 14, 2016, 04:17:03 PM »
^ Don't know whatcha got 'til it's gone... Truth.

Haps on my end:

I learned how to replace a gas oven igniter (turns out it's pretty damn easy), saving myself a good chunk o' change.

A raccoon has taken to hanging out on my roof late almost every night. Sounds like a damn dog is running around up there. Been thinking of setting up a trap up there, but those things are smart, and apparently difficult to trap. It's not actually trying to claw into my house or anything, and it doesn't stay for very long. So, for now, it's live and let live...

Been butting heads with the billing department of/at my son's pediatrician. Bunch of unprofessional, inept twats. I really don't know why so many people in the world can't just do their fuckin' jobs. Taking him to a different doctor from now on.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #16969 on: June 14, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »
where we pushed two full sized beds together to form one giant "superbed"

That sounds amazing... Seriously, it does. My bed is technically large enough to share, but I love my space (and pillows, and extra blanket, and yeah, the stuffed animals, too, I guess), so... yeah, that set-up sounds good to me.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16970 on: June 14, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »
I'm 6'4. My boyfriend is 6'3. We share a double bed with 2 blankets and at least 12 stuffed animals. :P Nights are uhhh, cosy :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16971 on: June 14, 2016, 04:55:27 PM »
Absolute FIRST major purchase Wife and I made when we got married was getting a brand new pillow-top queen size mattress.  Worth every penny.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16972 on: June 14, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
I'd have a room in our house that was nothing but one giant bed (and dozens of pillows) if I could work it right

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #16973 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:47 PM »
Artimicia- yeah, I loved Eternal Eden.  Games like that are the reason I started playing RPGs in the first place.  

Anyway haps... Well, it looks like I may be adding a fourth ride to my bike-a-thon schedule. The Spellbound Century July 30. I'll likely do the 45 mile variant. Team St. Lou (who I do the ACS ride with) are doing that ride, so I wanna rep my team colors with them once more.

EDIT: Officially registered. When I played in bands, I had a tour/concert schedule. Now I have an event ride schedule and I LOVE it!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:50:57 PM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16974 on: June 14, 2016, 11:54:05 PM »
Still waiting for the bank to send back the paperwork. They had 48 hours to respond. It has been 96. Our recourse is to not buy the house. And that isn't happening so they have all the leverage. Our realtor is confident that we will hear tomorrow.

Our first purchase as husband and wife was to get a king size memory foam mattress. It is amazing. By the way... Two full. Sized beds equals a king
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #16975 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:04 AM »
Starting to settle down a bit about my new job. Still hate getting home and eating dinner so late at night and getting less time with my family, and I still am worried about the physical demands of the job once I start actually getting assigned tasks, but I at least feel like it's something I can deal with while I look for something better.

And it's not just me, everyone there can't wait for the store's real manager to get back from medical leave, because the assistant manager is an absolute arse. I like how one of my coworkers put it: He acts like he owns everyone.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16976 on: June 15, 2016, 09:45:32 AM »
Does anyone else feel like this thread really does help us to get to know each other?  I was kinda chuckling at the last few updates because I just looked at the username and I already knew what they were going to talk about.

Dincrest: bikes!
Daggerstrike: house!
Klutz: job!
Mesh: i take LSD daily!

Really, I don't think I could do that with people I know IRL.  Which is a shame.  I should take the time to listen to my associates the way I take the time to read this thread.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16977 on: June 15, 2016, 10:29:23 AM »
Haps: I'm lucky to work one town away from an Amazon warehouse. Most of the time, I get overnight shipping for the price of two (Prime membership). Me likey!

And it's not just me, everyone there can't wait for the store's real manager to get back from medical leave, because the assistant manager is an absolute arse. I like how one of my coworkers put it: He acts like he owns everyone.

When daddy's away, he puts the big boy pants on. Typical feeble-minded compensation by someone who wishes he was higher up the food chain.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #16978 on: June 15, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
Does anyone else feel like this thread really does help us to get to know each other?  I was kinda chuckling at the last few updates because I just looked at the username and I already knew what they were going to talk about.

Really, I don't think I could do that with people I know IRL.  Which is a shame.  I should take the time to listen to my associates the way I take the time to read this thread.

I need to start talking about one thing repeatedly in here so that it becomes my shtick.
I got nothing.

;_;

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16979 on: June 15, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »

I need to start talking about one thing repeatedly in here so that it becomes my shtick.
I got nothing.

;_;

Annubis: I listen to everyone!