Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #17010 on: June 16, 2016, 02:01:11 PM »
And just paged everyone with an accidental quote instead of edit.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17011 on: June 16, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Good news everyone! You don't have to read about me buying a house anymore and being annoyingly excited for it....

because I was just let go from my job because they reorganized my department.
Daggs man, my condolences. Hope you get something back and soon.

TASTY!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #17012 on: June 16, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
And its like this in all aspects of life. And I realize that its not just me, that the Universe continuously throws shit at everyone, but that just goes back to my question lately of why ANYONE puts up with it. I just want to ask everyone I encounter what drives them to continue pushing through the shitshow that is life when in the end its all meaningless?

Not that I need to tell you, but that indeed is the difficult part. Finding the motivation..., the drive. I suppose as childish as it sounds, one just has to believe they will find their answer in life. I'm sure you will find yours, cuz as Star said, you're a fart smeller smart feller. ;)

Good news everyone! You don't have to read about me buying a house anymore and being annoyingly excited for it....

because I was just let go from my job because they reorganized my department.

I'm truly sorry for your situation, brother. Did they at least give you some sort of severance package, or something? Or, can you at least claim unemployment? Either way, you'll bounce back. Just keep the ol' noggin up. In the meantime, it's <insert drink of choice> Time.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17013 on: June 16, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »

@Tomara: This is my biggest problem. I DON'T have even a vague idea of what direction I want my life to take. I'm not really passionate about anything. Folks always say "well you're passionate about video games," except I play and talk about video games for the same reason some folks drink, because for a brief moment life doesn't feel like a hopeless void.

Hmmm...

If you want to keep videogames as a hobby, keep videogames as hobby. For some reason I turned nearly all my hobbies into sorta-work, and it's not all that great.

As for what you should do... I know there's this big push for individuality, making a difference and having a grand purpose, but personally, I think it's enough to have a job you don't mind and live a happy life surrounded by the people you care about. Having a job you love is a way to have a fulfilling life, sure, but I believe it's far from the only way.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17014 on: June 16, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
Thanks folks. It is...rough...at the moment. I am already redoing my resume and sending it out to jobs. It puts our house on hold but in a few months we can look again if I can find a job. Luckily I did get a sweet severance package. They are also paying me until the end of the month, plus I have about 80 hours of paid time off that will be added. We aren't in the immediate threat of losing everything, but it will eat into our savings a bit.
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17015 on: June 16, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
Having a job you love is pretty rare.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #17016 on: June 16, 2016, 03:26:21 PM »

@Tomara: This is my biggest problem. I DON'T have even a vague idea of what direction I want my life to take. I'm not really passionate about anything. Folks always say "well you're passionate about video games," except I play and talk about video games for the same reason some folks drink, because for a brief moment life doesn't feel like a hopeless void.

Hmmm...

If you want to keep videogames as a hobby, keep videogames as hobby. For some reason I turned nearly all my hobbies into sorta-work, and it's not all that great.

As for what you should do... I know there's this big push for individuality, making a difference and having a grand purpose, but personally, I think it's enough to have a job you don't mind and live a happy life surrounded by the people you care about. Having a job you love is a way to have a fulfilling life, sure, but I believe it's far from the only way.

This is sort of what I've settled on for now. I just want to find a job where I'm at a desk during typical work hours and can come home and eat dinner with my family and can take the weekend to do stuff I want to do. The problem is finding one WHILE suffering through this job and while also not losing my mind completely.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17017 on: June 16, 2016, 03:34:46 PM »

This is sort of what I've settled on for now. I just want to find a job where I'm at a desk during typical work hours and can come home and eat dinner with my family and can take the weekend to do stuff I want to do. The problem is finding one WHILE suffering through this job and while also not losing my mind completely.

That's a good goal. It's realistic, which means the odds of reaching it are in your favor. I really hope you get a job like that soon.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17018 on: June 16, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
Having a job you love is pretty rare.

Yeah. I absolutely loved my job. I honestly wanted to do it for another 20 years and retire. I didn't make amazing money but I loved what I did.
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #17019 on: June 16, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »

Hmmm...

Maybe try a temp agency/company? They are not the most ideal route for obvious reasons, but they are usually good for getting your foot in the door of an office environment. Trick is making sure that there's a temp-to-hire possibility.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17020 on: June 16, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
Thanks folks. It is...rough...at the moment. I am already redoing my resume and sending it out to jobs. It puts our house on hold but in a few months we can look again if I can find a job. Luckily I did get a sweet severance package. They are also paying me until the end of the month, plus I have about 80 hours of paid time off that will be added. We aren't in the immediate threat of losing everything, but it will eat into our savings a bit.

So perhaps things not working out with that first location was a blessing a disguise?  Or am I being sanctimonious?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17021 on: June 16, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »
Looking back on this past schoolyear (September to now), it looks like most all of us have been eviscerated by something in life (me included.)  We've all had life punch us in the face so many times that we're tough or numb to it, but it would be nice if one of those hands of fate descending upon our fallen bodies will actually help us up and not turn into another fist to the face. 

Gotta reflect on some positives. 
-I gave up the touring/gigging musician lifestyle last year.  People always ask me whether I miss all of that, and the answer is an emphatic "No!"  Best decision I ever made, leaving that behind. 

-I gave up drinking alcohol two years ago (6/14/14).  People always ask me whether I miss tasty, hoppy craft beers (which I loved), and the answer is an emphatic "No!"  Best decision I ever made, leaving that behind. 

-I gave up eating meat in January and am back to being a vegetarian.  People always ask me whether I miss meat, and the answer is an emphatic "No!"  Best decision I ever made, leaving that behind. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17022 on: June 16, 2016, 06:24:59 PM »
@Tomara: This is my biggest problem. I DON'T have even a vague idea of what direction I want my life to take. I'm not really passionate about anything.

Saying I'm in the same position probably won't make you feel any better, but I'm in the same position; and people telling you to follow your passion, or that you NEED passion, just makes it worse. And I don't even think I'm on an axis where I can recognize what passion even is. Seeing people saying follow your passion to me is like... people telling you to wear lucky charms if I want to win big or follow the invisible rainbow-colored magnetic wavelines emanating from your third eye that leads to a pot of gold.

Anyway,

unrelated but I usually get videogame ads on RPGFan because, you know, obvious reason. So today I see this and immediately think it's some epic duckling RPG coming out of E3:

It wasn't but lord have mercy do I wish it were.

-- edit --

In which I note that the mouthwash I use really, really deadens your sense of taste but I don't consider this a bad thing because dining options are so limited in downtown Columbus that not being able to taste what I eat for breakfast/lunch every day is probably for the best.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:21:49 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: June 17, 2016, 12:21:28 AM »
A few years ago I had a similar existential crisis, why am I doing what I'm doing, what's the point of anything when the sun exploding or the heat death of the universe will undo all of humanity etc.

My mom basically told me that I was kind of being a shitty person for complaining about that sort of thing considering how I could only angst over such things because I was born into a middle class family in a first world country (she grew up in poverty in a former third-world nation). Obviously there was a part of me that knew that was true, but that couldn't make the feeling go away. Eventually that message sank in though, and part of it is because I've interacted with a lot of people who have it way worse than me since then (that and becoming more aware of what's happening around the world). But since I don't know much about Klutz's financial situation I don't know if this sort of thing would be as applicable.

I also admit I'm probably in a different position than a lot of you because I'm studying in a field which will pretty much guarantee me stable employment after I graduate, so it might be a bit hypocritical on my part to say this sort of thing.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #17024 on: June 17, 2016, 12:47:51 AM »
But is it just me or does the sentiment "lots of people have it way worse" only reinforce the idea that life is a long and meaningless series of endless obstacles?