Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #17175 on: July 07, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
Solve this problem by going through the correct channels, if possible. Let your boss know that he made alterations to the schedule without consulting you, and that you can't work that day because you have an engagement that you can't drop.  Be firm that you have unchangeable plans, and hopefully it will be enough to get your boss to intervene and give your coworker a talking to.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #17176 on: July 07, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »
Please follow Marshmallow's advice and not mine. I'm an overly impulsive jackass sometimes.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17177 on: July 07, 2016, 10:49:56 PM »
Finding a job after nearly 8 years at the same place is hard. I have sent my resume to quite a few places. Haven't heard back from more than 2. Yay for unemployment at least... Sigh
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17178 on: July 07, 2016, 10:56:18 PM »
Klutz, take him out back and beat the living fucking shit out if him. Beat him so terribly bad that the video can't even be viewed by human eyes. So bad, you actually need to go to the hospital and get examined for temporary insanity and physical damage to your hands. Beat him within an inch of his life then hand him a baseball bat and tell him to finish the job. Make hin want to end it at his own hands...

Or just speak to your boss and tell him you're done dealing with the bullshit, fire the guy or you're out. Option B may be less problematic long term.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17179 on: July 07, 2016, 11:12:55 PM »
Finding a job after nearly 8 years at the same place is hard. I have sent my resume to quite a few places. Haven't heard back from more than 2. Yay for unemployment at least... Sigh

only 2 real ways to get a job.  Spam your resume or know someone.  At least 8 years at the some job looks damn good to potential employers.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17180 on: July 08, 2016, 12:05:40 AM »
I'm seriously not sure the spamming resume thing even works.  Not just me, I know lots of people who got absolutely nowhere with that...

Knowing someone feels like just about the only way to get a job these days.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #17181 on: July 08, 2016, 01:06:54 AM »
I'm seriously not sure the spamming resume thing even works.  Not just me, I know lots of people who got absolutely nowhere with that...

Which is basically why I constantly feel like I'm screwed and should just resign myself to the fact my life won't ever improve.

As for talking to my boss: My boss isn't his boss, he doesn't even work at our store. Of the five supervisors that share shifts at our store, myself included, only two of them actually work for our store, the others just cover shifts when they aren't at their own stores. Neither the original manager or this temporary one want to go through the process of hiring anyone, and the only reason I was hired is because the temporary manager found himself backed into a corner since he and the only other supervisor that works at this store were going on vacation at the same time.

Also, the district manager is fully aware that this temporary manager is incompetent but she doesn't want to bother finding another replacement, so is just letting it slide. And none of this matters because the fact is Mike intimidates my manager and therefore pretty much gets away with whatever.

It is absolutely the most fucked up place I have ever worked, and I once spent a summer working until 2am in a 7-Eleven.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17182 on: July 08, 2016, 01:48:41 AM »

Which is basically why I constantly feel like I'm screwed and should just resign myself to the fact my life won't ever improve.

"Knowing people" is not some unchangeable constant, though.  That's why networking exists.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17183 on: July 08, 2016, 02:18:37 AM »

As for talking to my boss: My boss isn't his boss, he doesn't even work at our store. Of the five supervisors that share shifts at our store, myself included, only two of them actually work for our store, the others just cover shifts when they aren't at their own stores. Neither the original manager or this temporary one want to go through the process of hiring anyone, and the only reason I was hired is because the temporary manager found himself backed into a corner since he and the only other supervisor that works at this store were going on vacation at the same time.

Also, the district manager is fully aware that this temporary manager is incompetent but she doesn't want to bother finding another replacement, so is just letting it slide. And none of this matters because the fact is Mike intimidates my manager and therefore pretty much gets away with whatever.

It is absolutely the most fucked up place I have ever worked, and I once spent a summer working until 2am in a 7-Eleven.
That baseball bat option isbsounding more up your alley...

TASTY!

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17184 on: July 08, 2016, 06:17:21 AM »

That baseball bat option isbsounding more up your alley...

The bat option is also a great way to meet new people, just make sure not to drop the soap...
Seriously folks, don't suggest violence as advice, even in jest. You never know how close someone could be to reaching their breaking point, or if/when this sort of advice will emerge form their subconscious in a stressful situation.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17185 on: July 08, 2016, 07:21:14 AM »
Given the complicated chain of command, I wonder... could someone in a Human Resources department help?  Is there any legal action Klutz could take at this point?  The paranoid conspiracy theorist in me is screaming "the company probably made the chain of command all twissy tailed to prevent legal recourse" but I should know better than to let that guy dominate my thinking.  Is there any sort of retail workers' union?  If so, maybe they have answers?  Do other coworkers of yours have the same problems with this guy?  If so, maybe you and them could go as a group/team to get representation or go into HR as a group because if several people complain, someone will listen?  I don't know.  I'm probably talking nonsense and asking stupid questions, but there has to be some resource out there that he can turn to.  
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17186 on: July 08, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »
Hey Klutz, I know you're getting swarmed with advice, but please please please keep this in mind: if you stick to your guns, there's nothing anyone can do to you.  My wife gets jacked around with her schedule all the time, and at times it has finally come down to her telling her manager "I understand the scheduling issues, but I am just letting you know ahead of time that I won't be available to come into work that day.  Please make arrangements."
And you know what?  They make arrangements.  It's not like you're ditching.  You're letting them know your availability.  No stable job is going to ask an employee to put work above all else.  You have to live your life too, same as everyone else.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #17187 on: July 08, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
In other news, I just ordered myself some Hello Kitty checks because I could.

You want my money, you're gonna have to hand that teller the adorable cartoon cat.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17188 on: July 08, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
Here's what you do: work your year in order to qualify for unemployment, do something so ridiculous that they have to fire you immediately (but not ridiculous enough that they press charges), leave a legend.

"Now that guy got canned!"

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17189 on: July 08, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
You guys are reminding me why I quit my job on Saturday. And also reminding me why I didn't quit any time in the past 6 months when I probably should've...ugh...I know I hadn't entrenched myself as much as daggerstrike or (possibly) klutz, but I don't have much to go off of as far as contacts or references, and I have no friends that could vouch for me. I didn't think that'd ever be a problem. Why should I ever need friends? Why do I need them to convince people? Shouldn't my skill as a worker be proof enough of my worth?

...But I forgot that doesn't work when you're meeting new people, or doing a job for the first time. And I can't do what I did before - it was too taxing on my body, and I was getting sick every single week. Now all I have to help me are my words. And I've never been good with those...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes