Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #17220 on: July 16, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
I can't stand sand.  It's coarse, it's rough, it gets everywhere, and is simply unpleasant to walk on.

I always suspected you were a Sith, Neal.

Sith rules, Jedi drools.  And I forgot that sand is irritating too.  Thanks Anakin!

And Mesh- you live in Ohio right?  Your state had that river that caught on fire back in 1969. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:41:52 PM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17221 on: July 17, 2016, 03:46:11 AM »
I went to the beach like... twice. First time I was to young to remember, second time I was still young and couldn't do much other than stay close to my parents and play in the sand. So, I have no clue how I feel about the beach and sea. Which is pretty funny, seeing waves and dunes make up most of my family's coat-of-arms.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17222 on: July 17, 2016, 03:56:02 AM »
You guys need to go to better beaches.  They're not all the same.  In fact there are pretty huge variations...

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17223 on: July 17, 2016, 04:16:39 AM »
the Cuyahoga's the river that caught on fire. it's in cleveland. re recent events there's probably things you could say about that but i'll leave them unsaid.

it's also noticeable for mike mills not pronouncing it right /at all/. The contents of this song are also interesting re recent events for reasons that i'll also leave unsaid.

more locally, the rivers don't burn. The Scioto's had like... several bodies found in it this year, which is DANDY. Olentangy -- the one I'm by -- has been alrightish lately. They're kind of reshaping it to make it more, uh, hospitable to aquatic life. I think our major water problem is high nitrates in the southern half of the city, and where I am/Dublin, the reservoirs do this thing every few years where the water layers, uh, flip, and you get... algae growing in it that renders the water ultimately harmless but undrinkably bad tasting for months on end.

also maybe this is just cause i was out of milk and had to make my dinner oatmeal with tonic water instead and i'm just hallucinating from that but like
okay why did i completely forget that in the Disney Peter Pan movies, the children were raised by a semi-anthropomorphic dog who from screencaps apparently served them liquor or something
and then that dog had a daughter in the sequel who like ran packages during the london blitz during wwii

the latter you can pass off as just an example of like aughts disney weird but
anyway now i'm just finding horrifying fursuits from stage productions of peter pan. i should probably have gone to bed like two hours ago. nothing good is happening now.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17224 on: July 17, 2016, 04:22:05 AM »
Speaking of water and random facts, I have one.

One of the Netherlands' major anime conventions is near Scheveningen, the popular seaside district of Den Hague. To Japanese ears, the name sounds a lot like 'sukebe ningen' - perverted people. Japanese guests often have a good laugh when they find out that they can visit the place and that it's not in fact a nudist beach.

Edit: I'm currently overthinking if I should wish someone a happy birthday or not.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:27:05 AM by Tomara »

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17225 on: July 17, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »
You guys need to go to better beaches.  They're not all the same.  In fact there are pretty huge variations...

I've been to several beaches in several different states and countries (in 3 continents) and even the quieter ones never did it for me.  Never once have I enjoyed a trip to the beach, simply because I don't like that environment.  Give me the woods and mountains any day.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:03:18 PM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #17226 on: July 17, 2016, 09:10:09 AM »
*sigh* Normally don't come into this thread, but I feel a need to vent (well more cry than anything else) and I can't think of any better place to do it. So you guys get to read about parts of my life that I don't discuss with my irl friends. Congrats! I'm sure this is going to be incredibly boring, incredibly sad, incredibly uninteresting, or some combination thereof.

So backstory, I'm currently in my late 20s and have never been on a date in my life due to a combination of factors which I am not getting into because that would triple the length of this post. Earlier this year I took a shot at online dating where I messaged a few girls...and got zero responses. One of them hit me pretty hard because for reasons I don't particularly remember I got myself too emotionally invested before sending the message, so I decided to take a break for while.

Last Saturday randomly got the thought to see whether there was anyone new up that seemed interesting. Found one particular profile where it seemed like we had personalities that would mesh well and that I was really attracted to. Spent some time looking through her question answers (this is on okCupid and she had a lot of questions answered) and figuring out what to write. Finally sent her a message on Tuesday, and then waited. I was nervous the entire time I was waiting (let me tell you week with butterflies in your stomach not fun).

She finally signed in again last night and...nothing. I got a profile view last night that I assume was her after reading her message, but other than that, nada. And so I am left here wondering, why do I keep doing this to myself? I suppose she could still respond if she wants to look over my question answers and didn't have time last night, but realistically she isn't interested in me, and I knew she wasn't going to be interested in me because that is how the universe seems to work for whatever reason. I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but I have no idea as to what (other than not having gotten dating experience back during high school and college?) or how to fix it, assuming it can be fixed. But yeah, I really don't know why I keep doing this to myself when I know this is how it is always going to turn out. I suppose on some level I thought this one was going to be different since okCupid had us with stupid high compatibility (99% overall, lowest category is religion at 79%). But I knew this wasn't going to work. I knew I shouldn't get invested, and I did it anyways because I only have two settings emotionally, "All in" or "Meh." And perhaps the worst part of all this is that I know that I am going to do this to myself again. I really should just give up on the idea of a significant other, but part of me just refuses to let it go. >.>

Okay, venting done. I think. Not really looking for advice, just needed to get that off my chest. Time to go drown my sorrows by finally finishing up my last Persona 4 Golden playthrough. Will be interesting to see if I even remember to check for replies to this tomorrow since I normally don't come into this thread.

tl;dr: I'm a moron. :p

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #17227 on: July 17, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »
OKCupid is a horrible place, especially for people like you who tend to get a bit overzealous about this sort of thing. The way profile views are tracked and presented on the receiving end makes everyone who bothers to investigate someone's profile look like a stalker to that person.

I honestly think the easiest way to find love is to stop looking for it (not literally mind you, then you just end up like me). Just try to keep in mind that right now you're looking for a companion, not a soulmate.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #17228 on: July 17, 2016, 10:04:54 AM »
OKCupid is a horrible place, especially for people like you who tend to get a bit overzealous about this sort of thing. The way profile views are tracked and presented on the receiving end makes everyone who bothers to investigate someone's profile look like a stalker to that person.

I honestly think the easiest way to find love is to stop looking for it (not literally mind you, then you just end up like me). Just try to keep in mind that right now you're looking for a companion, not a soulmate.
Eh, I have the visitor thing turned off most of the time, so there shouldn't be any traces of most of my page views. :p

And not sure about the stop looking for it advice, that doesn't work too well when you are a hermit that generally only leaves his house for work. No real opportunities to meet anyone. :p

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #17229 on: July 17, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »
I guess what I was trying to emphasize is the idea that you can't go about it looking for "The One," but instead need to approach it as just looking for someone fun that you can get along with.

I'm also curious about how you tend to message people you find "a good match," my best responses have always been when I say something casual, like "You seem fun/cool/nice. [innocent compliment]. [casual question that is related to aforementioned compliment]"

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #17230 on: July 17, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »
I honestly think the easiest way to find love is to stop looking for it

I can guarantee this doesn't work...

Also, never having dated isn't so bad if you considered that I went on 2 dates (ever) and both times, the girl was for what I could gather completely uninterested and wanted it to be over as soon as politely possible.
That's soul crushing.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #17231 on: July 17, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
Everyone's experience is different, but my most successful relationship (3 years) came about from some innocent flirting on a forum way-back-when that was meant more as a joke than an actual attempt at wooing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:05:47 PM by Klutz64 »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17232 on: July 17, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
And not sure about the stop looking for it advice, that doesn't work too well when you are a hermit that generally only leaves his house for work. No real opportunities to meet anyone. :p

Probably easier said than done, but: create opportunities?

Like, take some classes, join a club...

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17233 on: July 17, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
Attractive girls are gonna be get messages from guys every day on dating sites. I wouldn't take it personally if you're not getting replies.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17234 on: July 17, 2016, 12:29:16 PM »
Ranadiel, I'm going to repost my response to AgentD from last year when he was asking about the same stuff. 

I met my girlfriend fiance on match.com.  It was super weird at first.  and it takes a lot of getting used to.  But the service was really helpful after I moved to a new city where I knew about 3 people and spent 90% of my waking hours doing schoolwork in a computer lab or working.

Ok, so now I'm going to give you some (unsolicited) honest advice about online dating.  OkCupid sucks.  Since it's free, a lot of the people on there aren't totally serious about it.  Think about it like online poker.  When it's free everyone plays like a complete asshole, but as soon as actual money is involved, suddenly people stop messing around.  Online dating is no different.  If you REALLY want to find someone, you gotta pay up.   eHarmony is nice you if want to find creepy religious people.  Best to avoid it too.

Your profile: BE HONEST!  It's really tempting to lie your ass off and try to make yourself sound better than you actually are.  DON'T DO IT! You want prospective mates to like you, not who you're pretending to be.  A smart woman will figure out that you're not who you say you are and unless she's horribly desperate, will start ignoring you immediately.  Also, keep it simple.  No long soliloquies or jokes.  Just be upfront (and confident) about who you are and what you want.  Most people decide whether they want to go out with someone like 15 seconds after seeing their profile anyway.  So being long winded and rambling can only turn them off.

Be prepared to get rejected A LOT.  Don't get too butthurt about that pretty girl not returning your painstakingly written message.  There are literally 1000's more perfectly wonderful people to take her place. Think about it like playing an rpg.  If the first random battle in a game gets you KO'd. You don't immediately give up and go cry in the shower for a week.  No, you do some grinding, figure out the battle system and move on.  Here's what I did.  I found a really short and simple message that got a woman's attention and prompted a decent amount of responses (It was really stupid, something like "Your profile doesn't really say a lot about you, so if it's all the same, I'm just going to assume that you're a deep under cover government sleeper agent with a heart of gold and a shadowy past.  Ok, that's actually pretty awesome.  Or possibly the plot to rambo.") It was completely ridiculous.  But it made people laugh for some reason AND it prompted them to respond. Then after I figured out that something so stupid actually worked, I SPAMMED THE EVER LIVING SHIT OUT IT.  I must have sent that message to 300 different women in the course of about 2 months.  I didn't care at all.  There was no pride in it.  But it got responses like crazy (probably half of the women I messaged responded) and created a dialogue that I could work with.  I wasn't looking to be honorable about it, I was looking to find someone to spend my life with.

Don't be afraid to ask a girl for her number after 3 or 4 messages.  That's what this is all about right?  Just don't ask for it on the first one because it makes you sound either desperate or like someone who collects people's skin.

OMG SO MANY HORRIBLE DATES.  Seriously dude.  Awful. I probably went on 30 first dates before I met the woman I've spent the last 2 years with.  The first few can be really traumatizing.  Meeting strangers is not easy.  I am just about the most awkward person in the known universe, so I have no advice for how to make them like you once you actually convince them to meet up (DON'T CALL IT A DATE! say something like "want to meet for a few drinks? nothing too serious." The word "date" is too pressure filled.).  What I can tell you though, is that if you take them to a place where the bar tenders/wait staff already know you, it will make the whole ordeal much easier.  I took every. single. girl I met on match to the same dive bar that I'd been going to on an almost weekly basis since I moved to the city.  By about the 10th meetup, the regular servers realized what was going on and actually started to help me out a lot.  I got a whole bunch of free drinks and compliments.  It put me at ease to know that even if things went south I could still hang around afterwards and shoot the shit for a bit.  If things didn't work out, then my night wasn't a total waste.  I think knowing that in the back of my mind helped me out a lot with my confidence issues (well that and the alcohol).

Ok, I've rambled on for WAY too long.

Good luck.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"