Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #17280 on: July 23, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »
Tomara I wish you had like Dutch candy export business or something... I'd totally be all over that.

I'm also incidentally curious since I came across this totally at random (seriously, I wasn't like fixated on the Netherlands or something) whether this actually represents a stereotypical view or some version of stereotypes.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:55:12 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17281 on: July 24, 2016, 03:34:17 AM »
Tomara I wish you had like Dutch candy export business or something... I'd totally be all over that.

I could probably send you a box if you're willing to send me something in return (books from Bookdepository or something). I have to warn you, though. Shipping is expensive. Less than 2kg will cost 18 without tracking. 2-5kg with tracking will be 34,30 (close to $40 American). Fortunately, Dutch sweets are pretty cheap, but they will end up costing atleast twice as much if you include shipping.

I'm also incidentally curious since I came across this totally at random (seriously, I wasn't like fixated on the Netherlands or something) whether this actually represents a stereotypical view or some version of stereotypes.

Yeah... that's pretty much true. Examples:

-I'm from the Achterhoek or 'Motorcross (and farmers)'. Our region is known for this huge music/racing festival called De Zwarte Cross, and our roads (flat and scenic!) were popular with motorcyclists long before that. (See the dot with 'Doetinchem'? I live a little north of there.)

-Train Delay Central is Utrecht, the city where many train lines connect. Countless people travel through there every day and yeah, delays happen. The worst one I've experienced was less than an hour, but when the weather is bad enough, everything shuts down. Half a decade ago, there was this massive storm. I was at an anime convention and if I had left 30 minutes later, I'd would have been stuck in Utrecht for the night. As bad as this may sound, Utrecht is actually a great place, especially for tourists that don't want to settle for just Amsterdam. It's a lively old city in its own right, and you can easily get to the other parts of the country from there.

-Greenhouses everywhere? That's where my dad is from and yep, there are greenhouses everywhere. They call it the 'Glass City', which makes it sound so much more awesome than it actually is.

-It's easy to forget there are people living in Drenthe. It took me three freaking years to get a Streetpass from there and complete the map of the Netherlands!

-We're tsundere towards the Germans, that's for sure. On one hand we aren't really over World War II yet (many people who lost family and friends during the war are still alive today), but on the other we recognise that the country has changed a lot and that living in the past is a bad idea. Plus, many like to hop over the border for a little vacation or just shopping for a day.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17282 on: July 24, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »
I just made Christmas dinner in July.

That's the fun part of being an adult. I tell my boyfriend I want it to be Christmas, and then I make Christmas dinner and we watch Christmas movies.

Of course, I prepared enough food to feed 15 people and its just the two of us and my kitchen is overflowing with food now, but still. I had fun.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17283 on: July 24, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »
And here I was wondering if I should indulge and make myself some pea soup despite it being severely out of season... But if you can celebrate Christmas, I can make and eat pea soup.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17284 on: July 24, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »
Christmas in July is a big thing in many places because when you think Christmas you think winter/cold and psychologically it helps people beat the heat of July. 

Anyway, no haps beyond what I already posted.  Although one of the new folks I made during my Saturday ride was telling me that his daughter (who I'm guessing is in her teens or 20s given that he looks like in his mid 40s) is a closet fan of the band Hatebreed.  That totally met my seal of approval, because I'd rather hear that young people are listening to hardcore music themed around standing up for yourself, being strong in the face of adversity, etc. and not the vapid "sex 'n beer" pop music that always clogs up the airwaves in any given era. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17285 on: July 24, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »
And here I was wondering if I should indulge and make myself some pea soup despite it being severely out of season... But if you can celebrate Christmas, I can make and eat pea soup.

Always happy to be an inspiration.

@Din - I wish it helped with the heat, sadly being in a kitchen for 4 hours while every oven and ring is on doesn't make for a comfortable cool evening. xD
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:12:03 PM by Starmongoose »

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #17286 on: July 24, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »
@Din - I wish it helped with the heat, sadly being in a kitchen for 4 hours while every oven and ring is on doesn't make for a comfortable cool evening. xD
...that still sounds better than being outdoors here. Curse you Texas!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17287 on: July 24, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »

I could probably send you a box if you're willing to send me something in return (books from Bookdepository or something). I have to warn you, though. Shipping is expensive. Less than 2kg will cost €18 without tracking. 2-5kg with tracking will be € 34,30 (close to $40 American). Fortunately, Dutch sweets are pretty cheap, but they will end up costing atleast twice as much if you include shipping.

Yeah... that's pretty much true. Examples:

-I'm from the Achterhoek or 'Motorcross (and farmers)'. Our region is known for this huge music/racing festival called De Zwarte Cross, and our roads (flat and scenic!) were popular with motorcyclists long before that. (See the dot with 'Doetinchem'? I live a little north of there.)

-Train Delay Central is Utrecht, the city where many train lines connect. Countless people travel through there every day and yeah, delays happen. The worst one I've experienced was less than an hour, but when the weather is bad enough, everything shuts down. Half a decade ago, there was this massive storm. I was at an anime convention and if I had left 30 minutes later, I'd would have been stuck in Utrecht for the night. As bad as this may sound, Utrecht is actually a great place, especially for tourists that don't want to settle for just Amsterdam. It's a lively old city in its own right, and you can easily get to the other parts of the country from there.

-Greenhouses everywhere? That's where my dad is from and yep, there are greenhouses everywhere. They call it the 'Glass City', which makes it sound so much more awesome than it actually is.

-It's easy to forget there are people living in Drenthe. It took me three freaking years to get a Streetpass from there and complete the map of the Netherlands!

-We're tsundere towards the Germans, that's for sure. On one hand we aren't really over World War II yet (many people who lost family and friends during the war are still alive today), but on the other we recognise that the country has changed a lot and that living in the past is a bad idea. Plus, many like to hop over the border for a little vacation or just shopping for a day.

Ah thanks! I think maybe it's something I might want to try at some point but I'm just not sure because, well I was thinking of trying it with Japanese soda and snacks and stuff before and there's still the shipping thing, one day though I'll just want to try it and there we go!

And thanks for all the info on the Netherlands it seems like a pretty unique and interesting country.

Edit: And now I just learned that "Belgian Waffles" actually originated with the Dutch "Wafe" which is then derived from middle Dutch "Wafele." At least according to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle#Varieties

I say because I had a really great Belgian waffle today.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:37:55 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17288 on: July 25, 2016, 12:18:57 AM »
oh my god ataulfo mangoes
gosh just
damn

... it wasn't ripe enough and i can't feel my tongue but it was worth it okay

-- edit --

I was just reading a wikipedia article on common US mango cultivars and it was basically

<Tommy Atkins> You guys should check out my mango cultivar.
<Florida Mango Association> These are terrible.
<Tommy Atkins> How 'bout you go !#%^ yourselves
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:41:48 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17289 on: July 25, 2016, 01:45:04 AM »
Now that I have a job lined up it's time to start house searching again. Blech
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17290 on: July 25, 2016, 09:51:18 AM »
Hopefully this time will be the charm, Dagg.  Yeesh, can't catch a break. 

You know, in looking at all the crap that's been dumped on me in my life lately and several others, it's like... our lives are already shattered and we're trying to pick up the pieces and as we're picking up the pieces something else gets destroyed leaving more pieces to pick up and it's like Sisyphus endlessly pushing a rock up a hill.  Like, throw us a bone here, ya know? 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17291 on: July 25, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
I think I fixed my RPG Maker problem! While dealing with the wuauserv thing, I read up on some other processes as well. Apparently, the system has sort of seperate drivers for when using an external display like a TV. I had already concluded that my problems were stemming from something driver related, and according to my very limited knowledge of how computers work, taking the faulty shit out of the equation should solve the problem. So, I hooked my laptop up to a tv and set that as my temporary main display device. And coly crap, it worked! I can play RPG Maker games again!

Now there's just one problem: the games I'm playing right now are point & click adventures made in RPG Maker. I need to find a way to play those comfortably, one that doesn't involve using the laptop as an oversized controller. Heck, I doubt I have an HDMI cable that's long enough for that! Maybe if I grab the USB cable I use to extend my PS3/4 controller cables, use that on my mouse, put one of those 'tray on a pillow' things on my lap...

(Yeah, I know, the logical thing to do would be to see if I can find the drivers used back in the days when everything was well, but that takes effort. Pretending my laptop is a console is so much easier. Plus, I like how my laptop keeps finding new ways to bring shame to the PC Masterrace.)

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #17292 on: July 25, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
Good haps this weekend! I volunteered at an event to help blind people onto cruising boats and inter-tubes so they can ride around the bay. They were a brave bunch of all ages. In other haps, tonight, I'm going to see a limited engagement of Batman: The Killing Joke with new friends, should be fun. Curious to see how the first rated-r Batman cartoon turns out.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:17:30 PM by EmeraldSword »

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17293 on: July 25, 2016, 08:40:50 PM »
Hopefully this time will be the charm, Dagg.  Yeesh, can't catch a break. 

You know, in looking at all the crap that's been dumped on me in my life lately and several others, it's like... our lives are already shattered and we're trying to pick up the pieces and as we're picking up the pieces something else gets destroyed leaving more pieces to pick up and it's like Sisyphus endlessly pushing a rock up a hill.  Like, throw us a bone here, ya know? 

Thanks! We actually found one today. We are signing the papers tomorrow to make it ours contingent on financing. We won't close until end of September or start of October because I need to have a few paychecks to show and they haven't finished the house yet. So..that was easier than expected.
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #17294 on: July 25, 2016, 08:45:22 PM »
I have the most random conversations come up at my workplace. I was talking with a coworker about working out recently and the conversation went into the topic about how some physical activities can sound super easy but then turn out to be nearly impossible. Specific example was getting up from sitting on the floor without using your hands...which is something I am totally capable of doing. So after demonstrating that I could, I decided to one up myself by seeing if I could do it using one leg (and I totally can). Have since had to demonstrate my ability to do so to multiple people because apparently people can not wrap their heads around this idea. >.>