Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: What's the haps?
« Reply #17310 on: July 26, 2016, 01:46:24 PM »
I had to google what knob celery is - celeriac, gotcha.

Have you ever cut a pineapple using a kitchen knife, or a turnip? That's generally how I cut the rind of a celeriac off. Not much fuss if your knife is sharp!

That's exactly my problem: I haven't had a decent knife in years. I should probably buy one sooner rather than later. And a larger pot. And a bread knife. And a bunch of other stuff. My kitchen is kind of bare.

Unless it's cheap, and/or beat to shit, try sharpening the knife you have before dropping coin on a new one. Could go a very long way...
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17311 on: July 26, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
I had to google what knob celery is - celeriac, gotcha.

Have you ever cut a pineapple using a kitchen knife, or a turnip? That's generally how I cut the rind of a celeriac off. Not much fuss if your knife is sharp!

That's exactly my problem: I haven't had a decent knife in years. I should probably buy one sooner rather than later. And a larger pot. And a bread knife. And a bunch of other stuff. My kitchen is kind of bare.

Unless it's cheap, and/or beat to shit, try sharpening the knife you have before dropping coin on a new one. Could go a very long way...

Yep, honing your knife before/after every use is good practice.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17312 on: July 26, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »

It's a cheap knife and the handle is kinda coming loose. I don't use it often (I rarely chop large vegetables), that's why I haven't been in a hurry to buy a proper replacement.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17313 on: July 26, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »
First, I simply must say that living together before marriage does NOT prepare one for living together after marriage.  It's a misconception that is spread around as fact, despite there being essentially nothing to back it up.  Marriage is amazing, but don't go into it assuming you know everything about the person: how could you when you probably don't even know everything about yourself?  Rather, marriage is a promise you make to your best friend that you'll spend the rest of your life understanding, improving, and accepting, precisely who you both are.

Early congrats to Andrew, and I like the attitude of "plan the marriage more than the wedding."  I've seen too many couples expertly plan the wedding but fail to plan the marriage.  

Anyway, here's my "how did my parents do that?" snippet.  My parents' marriage was arranged and I don't even know if my mom even interacted with my dad before the wedding, since he was studying in England.  And then right after the wedding, my mom (who had never left her hometown in India) had to pack her bags and fly off to England to live with her new husband.  How the hell they did that, plus live in Holland, have a kid, then fly off to the US, and make it... I mean, I'd have no problem uprooting to another state to make a life for myself, but uprooting to a foreign country I'm unfamiliar with kinda frightens me.  

This sounds like both of them had accepted that this was a part of life from when they were young.

It's a cheap knife and the handle is kinda coming loose. I don't use it often (I rarely chop large vegetables), that's why I haven't been in a hurry to buy a proper replacement.

Ew.  "Handles" on knives should never be "loose".  If it's a good knife, then the "handle" will simply be an extension of the blade itself, with a grip on it.  Handle and blade should never be two separate pieces.

LOOK UPON MY WISDOM YE FANNERS AND DESPAIR
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #17314 on: July 26, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »
First, I simply must say that living together before marriage does NOT prepare one for living together after marriage.  It's a misconception that is spread around as fact, despite there being essentially nothing to back it up. 

Unless one or both of the people involved is one of those repressed nut-jobs who changes after marriage, I'm gonna have to disagree with your assessment.

You won't really know someone until you live with them.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not at all saying you'll get 100% insight into the rest of your days together, but it gives a good hint as to what one can expect. It's always a good idea to test the waters before swimming. Especially when those waters are a lifetime commitment.
I lived with my wife for 7 years before getting hitched, and the only thing marriage changed about our relationship was how close we felt to each other. We already knew what to expect out of each other at that point.

EDIT: Actual haps.
Over the weekend, I hooked up the ol' Wii for the first time in many months, so that my son and I could play some games together. When I wasn't looking, he erased my license (account) on Mario Kart Wii (by accident - he's 4). Even though I hadn't played the game in what felt like forever, I was pissed that all of my unlockables were re-locked. So, I yelled at him a bit about it, and then we made up.
We then proceeded to have a great damn time working on unlocking everything again.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:03:59 PM by natros »
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17315 on: July 26, 2016, 05:51:07 PM »
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the well wishes. :) It's a relief to know that wedding planning stress is almost over. Hooray!

Rather, marriage is a promise you make to your best friend that you'll spend the rest of your life understanding, improving, and accepting, precisely who you both are.

I agree with this. My fiance and I are fully aware there will be rough times and a lot of learning as we start to live together (and probably after that too!) - we've also done a marriage prep course and feel we are as prepared as we can be going in. But we're both fully committed to working through and resolving these issues. I think it's easy to read that and go "Yeah, sure, easy to say now" and maybe you'd be right, but we're both very confident (perhaps because that was what both our parents did too and they're all still happily married). We know that we're not perfect and we know that our relationship is not perfect - we're just human, after all. Over time we will both change, as is natural, anyway. We're both Christians and fully trust that God has brought us together so we can serve him better as a couple than we can as individuals. Maybe that will be a life filled with trials and hardships, or maybe it will never be too tough, but, whatever it is, we're committed to it together.

I would never decry those who chose to live together first though, because I fully see the reasoning behind it. But that was not a choice that we personally ever considered.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17316 on: July 26, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »
Arvis- Yes, arranged marriages were the cultural norm back in my parents' day, but I don't think my mom ever expected to get married off and then immediately shoved off to England after.  A land so foreign, so unfamiliar, it could have been another planet... and the only person she knew was this "stranger" she married.  That has to be psychologically difficult for anyone.  I sure as hell couldn't handle that.  My mom's was a unique case since the average arranged marriage in India typically didn't take you that far away from home. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17317 on: July 26, 2016, 11:09:47 PM »
Yeah the longest term relationship I had just made me hate the concept altogether.

I think some people think it's something I would "learn to accept and such" but the years haven't changed my feelings... kind of hardened them in many ways.

It's kind of silly when you consider how omnipresent cheating is... or just some kind of division of a person's affection, but.. well.. anyway. The irony is I'm actually extremely devoted to single people once I get to know them I may think about them and only them (even for months, years at time), I just hate the idea that somehow like "Well we like each other so much... ok here's the contract where we sign our lives away together!"

It's kind of like... going to a really great cafe or something, and everything is great, everything is fun, but then for no reason suddenly it's "ok  had fun? Now that'll be 300000 million dollars!"

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:17:44 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17318 on: July 26, 2016, 11:11:31 PM »
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the well wishes. :) It's a relief to know that wedding planning stress is almost over. Hooray!

Rather, marriage is a promise you make to your best friend that you'll spend the rest of your life understanding, improving, and accepting, precisely who you both are.

I agree with this. My fiance and I are fully aware there will be rough times and a lot of learning as we start to live together (and probably after that too!) - we've also done a marriage prep course and feel we are as prepared as we can be going in. But we're both fully committed to working through and resolving these issues. I think it's easy to read that and go "Yeah, sure, easy to say now" and maybe you'd be right, but we're both very confident (perhaps because that was what both our parents did too and they're all still happily married). We know that we're not perfect and we know that our relationship is not perfect - we're just human, after all. Over time we will both change, as is natural, anyway. We're both Christians and fully trust that God has brought us together so we can serve him better as a couple than we can as individuals. Maybe that will be a life filled with trials and hardships, or maybe it will never be too tough, but, whatever it is, we're committed to it together.

I would never decry those who chose to live together first though, because I fully see the reasoning behind it. But that was not a choice that we personally ever considered.

That said, I can really respect things like this. If there were truly a god in the present world, I'd imagine they would think the emphasis on you doing and believing what you think is best, which may mean marriage, a strong 1 to 1 relationship, etc.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #17319 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:39 PM »
Haps = Burnt my finger way worse than I thought on an oven rack and now concentrating on anything tonight, including sleep, is going to be difficult. Tried treating it with ice and aloe, but it didn't help for very long and we don't really have anything in the house specifically for burns.

Still not sure if the pizza and root beer for dinner was worth it.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17320 on: July 27, 2016, 12:13:32 AM »
@^ oh god my fingers JUST started peeling from when I burned them like a week ago.

Anyway weird late night ranting: Boss indicated that he wanted me to interact with my coworkers more. Easiest way to do this is by being conversational and smalltalky. I have no natural inclination to do this, it makes me feel awkward, etc. But I'm forcing myself to do it anyway, because why not?

Strange side-effect, though? I feel like whatever inhibitions (ie not social anxiety, I don't have that, just... not doing things I don't feel like doing) I'm overcoming to be more talkative are hurting my /impulse control/ more broadly???????

[Alternative possibility: Caffeine, sleep deprivation, and general tripped out malaise at 2016 being so goddamn magical are to blame but eh that's boring]

-- edit --

goddammit my mind like faceswapped al gore and Jonathan Frakes in my memories and now I'm really confused.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 12:48:25 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #17321 on: July 27, 2016, 10:09:58 AM »
Still not sure if the pizza and root beer for dinner was worth it.

Pizza and root beer are ALWAYS worth it.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17322 on: July 27, 2016, 10:43:58 AM »
Best cure I ever had for treating a burn was a cold rag across the burn after submerging it in water for a fairly long duration....like 15-20 minutes. I'm talking til the point where the part you burned is several degrees cooler than the rest of your body. Usually numbs it enough to at least sleep it off.

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17323 on: July 27, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »
I had a lot of fun playi... training! I mean training. I had a lot of fun training.

We shot at Christmas decorations (among other things). I did fairly well, but here it had gotten pretty obvious my sight needed some adjusting:

Ornaments like these are tricky targets because they're small and shiny:

For some reason I kept hitting the paperclip:

I saved several ornaments from 'execution' that way. Oops.

Best part of the evening: getting some better shots in than more experienced archers with much better equipment. But, to be honest, I'm not as consistent as they are, so it'd be fair to call those lucky shots.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 02:43:48 AM by Tomara »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17324 on: July 27, 2016, 06:23:50 PM »
I had some Run Raisen Ice Cream for the first time.

Its name sounds much tastier than it actually is. :( Too alcohol-y. I don't drink, so I guess it was too foreign a flavour for me to enjoy.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD