Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #18270 on: December 03, 2016, 09:41:10 PM »
It's not green enough! You can't expect me to just suddenly go cold turkey after 16 years of green! D:

16 years Tomato-san!!!???

Well I suppose this is why you are sensei :O
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18271 on: December 04, 2016, 06:34:17 AM »
A lot of us have been around for a while.  I've been a member since October 1999 and on staff since November 2004 and I have seen RPGFan go through all kinds of upheavals.  But I'm loyal to it.  RPGFan is the thing I've been the most loyal to in my life with fitness/cycling in 2nd place.  Cycling saved my life... twice.

I even "broke up" wih music performance, and I've been a musician for much of my life.  I started playing bass around 1994 (though before that I played euphonium in the school band) and from 2006- 2015 I played in gigging bands, one of which toured up and down the east coast.  Breaking up with musicianship was incredibly difficult.  How could I turn my back on something that I had invested so much of my life into.  But I had to look deep into my heart, really search my soul, and ask myself if I'm satisfied with the world I've created. 

I haven't touched my bass much since 2015, but I don't miss playing out.  I don't miss the "rock star" life at all and am glad to be done with it.  I made some of my best friends through gigging, though, so that will never fade.  But if anyone asks me to be in a band, I will give a firm No.  I'll participate in casual basement jam sessions once in a blue moon, but that's it. 

The point is that just moving on from something that you've invested life into is not easy.  It doesn't feel good to turn your back on something that's given you some of the best years of your life, even though moving on is truly for the best.  Like, my friend breaking up with FF after FF7... FF7 was that contentious "I hate you" phase early on in the breakup where you just yanked off a bandage and that hurts.  But the sting subsides.
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18272 on: December 04, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »
It's not green enough! You can't expect me to just suddenly go cold turkey after 16 years of green! D:

This was one of the first sites I visited back when we got internet at home, back in April 2000.

It's kind of weird how there's now a whole generation of kids that have never been without the internet. During the last Steam sales, I got my youngest cousin (nearly 12) a Steam account and six games. She was really happy she could finally play Undertale, a game she was already thoroughly familiar with thanks to Let's Plays on Youtube.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18273 on: December 04, 2016, 08:28:48 AM »
I still have to remind myself that the 1990s were twenty-ish years ago and not 10 years ago.  The heyday of bands like Linkin Park, Slipknot, or Yellowcard was 10 years ago, and even then, in 2006, they were starting to fall out of favor.

I'm getting old, man.  Time's moving too fast. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18274 on: December 04, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »
355lb squat today. Finally able to squat properly with the bad ankle, kind of happy about it. I still benchpress more than I squat though, so that's either really amazing or really sad...

TASTY!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18275 on: December 04, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
Madman. Most days I tell myself I should go to the gym and then I end up being too lazy to go. Last time I did I was still stuck at Benchpressing 1 plate.

This new forum layout makes me scared and confused. It also kinda hurt my eyes.

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #18276 on: December 05, 2016, 12:06:49 AM »

This was one of the first sites I visited back when we got internet at home, back in April 2000.

It's kind of weird how there's now a whole generation of kids that have never been without the internet. During the last Steam sales, I got my youngest cousin (nearly 12) a Steam account and six games. She was really happy she could finally play Undertale, a game she was already thoroughly familiar with thanks to Let's Plays on Youtube.

Jeeze, Tomara.  Talk about OOOOLD.

Nah, I kid. But yeah, it's freaky sometimes, thinking about the speed of progress. I think I joined in 2000 or 2001? Lurked mostly though until like 02-03, and then came on staff and also started posting more regularly. I found the site originally through friends I used to roleplay with on Geocities and similar chatrooms.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #18277 on: December 05, 2016, 12:12:43 AM »
I don't even remember how I found this site and I'm not even that old.
I have terrible memory.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18278 on: December 05, 2016, 01:11:26 AM »
I found it by looking up video game RPG-specific forums...alongside a couple other sites, like RPG Gamer. Had plenty of time to form an opinion of those places while I waited for my account to be approved. Which was probably for the best, since there really is a stark contrast between this community, and...almost every other one I've engaged with. Seriously, only one of site is this chill without being completely dead, and it's not a gaming forum. (More specifically an "old hat" anime forum, and in all honestly, they're fairly chill thanks to most of the trolls and other problematic users getting banned in one fell swoop a few years ago, with the rest eventually slipping up in the stupidest of ways not long after)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:57:21 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18279 on: December 05, 2016, 03:15:48 AM »
I don't even remember how I found this site and I'm not even that old.
I have terrible memory.

I think that's probably normal.

I'm usually the one who has to tell my parents when pictures were taken, I can list which types of sandwiches my friend has tried at a place we haven't eaten at in six years, and sometimes scientists pay me for EEGs. This one time there was cake.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18280 on: December 05, 2016, 11:49:10 AM »
Haps are: forum's busted.

I mean, it is for me, anyways.  I can still get around looking up "new responses" and such, but if I go into an actual subforum, it's full of errors.  And it puts every thread on its own page.

On a side note: Dincrest, your friend sounds annoying.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18281 on: December 05, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »
Don't worry it's bust for me to. I just assume work is happening

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #18282 on: December 05, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »
Haps are, Mark left a mod unfinished and didn't clean up his work.

Fixed tho.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18283 on: December 05, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »
pretty sure I lurked on this site for like 7 years before I joined the forums.  I was pretty involved on another site (wrote a bunch of posts and was a forum mod) for a long time until it just sort of died a protracted and neglected heat death. Since I only have the time and patience to check posts at one forum at a time, I arbitrarily decided that this was the next best thing (wuz right).  It's weird and sad how entire vibrant communities can go from intensely active one year to the same 3 guys just talking to each other the next.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18284 on: December 05, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »
Parn sort of got me here, alongside DiosGX. That was...4 or 5 years ago.easily now.

TASTY!