Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19650 on: August 29, 2017, 08:05:26 AM »
The sort of questions I get at my work (not literally but in broad terms it would sound something like):

"I want to send someone a letter but I don't know their name or address or what city they live in or how to use the post office or find an envelope or how to write.  Also I need this to be at their door in 5 minutes and if it's I want to blame you for it.  Why are libraries such a waste of time?"

Sadly, I know the type. Some people have very weird expectations and/or a very limited understanding of the daily life.

-The bond of friendship between our little craftsclub and the gunpla vendor grew stonger and leveled up.

So... the reason for the level-up is that my friend bought a kit over there as well. Her very first. A HG Barbatos Lupus Rex.

Less than two days later, multiple people are trying to help a store with affordable gunpla that ships to the Netherlands, because she now has her sight set on a RG MBF-P02 Gundam Astray Red Frame.

For some reason, it feels like I did either a good or a very bad deed...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19651 on: August 29, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
Garden log: 

So, my tomato plant/vine went crazy producing a bajillion grape tomatoes, and then it died.  Why?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19652 on: August 29, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »
Fucking YT is on scroll and it landed on the North Korean military female pop bands rendition of Hi Ho from Snow White/Disney.

"hi shi na ni!" ok I can't translate...

This is my life I guess.

Although honestly it's a pretty cool rendition so there's that.

Oh wow and a segue into the Waltz of flowers from Fantasia/Tchaikovsky... but with rock guitars...

And closing with stuffed versions of Tiger and Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse wandering around, and it's a small world.. playing..

.....I must say I am impressed... I didn't know it was possible.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:45:11 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19653 on: August 29, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »
So, my tomato plant/vine went crazy producing a bajillion grape tomatoes, and then it died.  Why?

It was either old age...or murder.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19654 on: August 30, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »

This was the first year of its life, so... should I call the police?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #19655 on: August 30, 2017, 09:41:08 AM »

Tomato plants don't live for more than half a year

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19656 on: August 30, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »

What bleepery is this?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19657 on: August 30, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »
Our tomatoes and scallions came in really nicely this year. Just picked some big beefy tomatoes last night, actually. However, our lettuce didn't grow at all, and our jalapeno plant barely yielded anything. Usually, we have a good luck with pepper plants...
My wife's parents' pepper plants didn't really do anything this season, either. Their peach trees grew some decent fruit, though. Been kind of a weird year, agriculturally.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19658 on: August 30, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »

What bleepery is this?

"Determinate" varieties of tomato generally die after producing their fruit. "Indeterminate" varieties can last longer, but frost will kill them.  Unless you've got a greenhouse, or are in a really gorgeous climate, tomatoes are an annual.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:45:14 PM by ironmage »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19659 on: September 01, 2017, 09:33:42 PM »
Holy CRAP

I was on cbs.com and I came across the shows thing

http://www.cbs.com/shows/

That is a LOT of TV.. good gravy.

So this is what people are doing in their free time.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19660 on: September 01, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »
Warning: This is a rant.

I have a burning rage towards a certain startup smartphone maker right now...

I happened to be in the market for a new phone and thought that Essential Products' PH-1 (usually just called "the Essential phone") looked pretty nice.  So right after they announced it I reserved a spot to buy it.  This was a couple months ago but there wasn't any payment information involved at the time.  It was basically just putting your name on a list...no harm there.

Now originally they had claimed the phone would be shipping 30 days after that announcement.  That obviously didn't happen but I wasn't terribly surprised.  They're a new company and the original schedule seemed very aggressive.  Delays happen and I could live with that.  I was more annoyed by the lack of communication from Essential regarding the delay.  They missed every deadline they set but didn't really say much about it.  In retrospect that was a sign of things to come...

Over two weeks ago they finally announced that the phones were ready, they would start taking payment information, and they would be shipping them within a week.  Great!  Although I was a little reluctant about plopping down a wad of cash for a phone I hadn't seen a single review of so I held off for a bit.  A few days after that reviewers started getting their hands on some early units and posted first impressions.  It seemed...OK.  Biggest issue was the underwhelming camera but there seemed to be some software issues there and Essential was already releasing updates for it...the old release now and patch later strategy.  But hey, at least they did seem to be working on it.

So I gave them my payment information, got an order confirmation, and then heard...absolutely nothing for a while.  They obviously missed that 'shipping in a week' deadline they originally promised.   But hey, I know they're new at this.  Delays suck but I still wasn't raging at this point.

Then earlier this week the rage started.  I received an email from them so inexplicable, so bizarre, I'm just going to post it here:

There are so many things wrong with this email.  They sent the exact same email to a large number of people so it's completely missing any references to things like order numbers, etc.  Basically it looks like a phishing attempt.  A lot of people thought it was a phishing attempt, myself included.  In my 20 some odd years of buying shit online I have never had anyone request a picture of photo ID.  It's intrusive and unnecessary.  And impractical.  I feel the need to point out that the shipping and billing addresses I gave them were the same, making it rather difficult to pull off any fraud here.  I also feel the need to point out that since I moved earlier this year my driver's license still has my old address on it, so I literally could not comply with this email even if I wanted to (which I didn't).

But the incompetence doesn't stop there.  Apparently they had misconfigured the mail group they had used to sent this to people in such a way that for people who did reply, their replies got sent not just to Essential but also to everyone else who replied.  So they were spamming a list of people suspected of fraud with their personal information.  I didn't have this happen to me since I didn't actually reply, but come on.

Now Essential shut down the email address receiving those replies and issued an apology for the configuration issue.  Though they never issued an apology for sending the original email nor did they ever explain what people they sent that email to should do at this point.

Good time to get in contact with their customer service, right?  Oh wait, they shut down their entire customer service website (no, seriously, they really did...).  Well I can still email them, right?  Nope, for a while their support email address was also down, and bounced any messages you sent to it.  Of course they never provided a phone number or something in the first place so there was literally no way to get in contact with them.  Now the support email address seems to be back up at least, but I've been trying for the last couple of days and they have not sent me a single response.  Not even an automated form letter acknowledging my inquiry.  Just dead silence.

But I've been following these developments on the XDA forums and it looks like most people have finally had their phones shipped.  And there was one guy there who said he didn't even order the phone until Monday and it shipped already.  I reserved this fucking thing over two fucking months ago and mine hasn't shipped.  Why the hell is a guy who didn't bother until this Monday getting his first?!

Maybe I'm never getting mine because I'm suspected of fraud...for some reason.  Aren't the credit card companies usually the ones who deal with that?  If there is a suspect charge on your card they can get in touch with you and verify it.  They have not attempted to do so at any point during this mess.  I have no idea what Essential even expects me to do, other than provide a bunch of sensitive personal information to people who have already demonstrated incredible incompetence in handling personal information via an email address that's already been shut down...oh yeah, and I don't even have the information they want in the first place because I guess it never occurred to them that people move sometimes.

Fuck this BS, I guess I'll just get a Pixel 2.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19661 on: September 02, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »
The guy who said he got his phone quickly might have been a plant by Essential to try and calm people down. 

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19662 on: September 02, 2017, 08:55:04 PM »
If they had time to do something as silly as that and yet still didn't bother to respond to their customer service emails then that would only lower my opinion of them...

Though I actually just checked online and my credit card was charged by them for the first time today...though I have still yet to receive any sort of shipping notification.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19663 on: September 02, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »
Huh tracking information, why does that sound like I am forgetting about something? Oh right! I scheduled a package to go out for a second delivery attempt today, and I have not gotten any knocks at the door today. Wonder what tracking says..."Redelivery Scheduled." So it did not go out again today. Huh, I feel like this has happened before. Hmm looks like I can not tell them to make another redelivery attempt via the web site. So it appears my choices are contact USPS's customer service or waste gas picking it up while I'm uncertain when the next time I can refill my car is. God damn this panic created gas shortage. >.>

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19664 on: September 03, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »
There are days I wonder if I should get rid of my iPad.  Everything I do on it, I prefer to do on my computer, plus my computer does it all better and has more versatile hardware and everything. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun