Author Topic: Whats the haps?

ironmage, Andrew, Annubis and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19665 on: September 03, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »
I'm going to put a disclaimer here at the top just because it will happen in the future.
I'm likely to write about my mom here as things happen and I'm just putting it here because writing it and having somewhere to put it helps me.
I'm not doing this for replies about it. I'm happy if you have something to say about it but just don't feel forced to follow social norms on it and autoreply.

I spent over a day with my mother this weekend. I just got back home and I'm destroyed.
She's not taking it well and I'm guessing she's going through the stages of grief. I don't know how much I can do for her.
I tried to talk to her but I couldn't get through at all. I think she's too hurt for it.

Cried a bit now and thankfully tomorrow is a holiday so I can try and pick up the pieces of myself and be OK for work Tuesday.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19666 on: September 04, 2017, 06:46:32 AM »
It's going to be touch and go for a while, man.  People will tell you to be strong and all that, but it's hard when you feel like you're barely treading water to stay afloat, emotionally.  So I hears ya.  I could say more about how I can relate, empathize, whatever, but that would just come off as lip service in this text-based communication. 

(You know my story: 2014 my mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and my dad's liver disease was rotting his body from the inside out.  In 2015 my dad died.  And in 2016 my mom needed a pacemaker put in.  My mom is pretty tough, but there are days when she gets totally despondent.)

EDIT: On a positive note, I'm happy that music has re-entered my life this summer.  A couple weeks ago, I finally jammed out with this guitarist in my cycling club.  He's a little older than me (though he looks crazy young) and is more interested in songwriting and studio playing than gigging and touring.  He had asked me earlier this summer if I wanted to collaborate on some songwriting with him, and I said sure, because though I want music back in my life I don't want to be in a gigging/touring band.  I hadn't touched a bass since parting ways with Pool of Thorns in 2015. 

But when jamming with my friend, it felt right.  I felt whole again.  Sure, my busy life of work, cycling/fitness, RPGFan, and voiceover stuff is fulfilling, having music back in it is nice.  There's a lot on my plate, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  You have no idea how stoked I am to have music back in my life again.  It's like, no matter what, I'll always be a bass player.  It's in my soul and a key part of my identity that can never be shed. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:15:12 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19667 on: September 04, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »
I'm going to put a disclaimer here at the top just because it will happen in the future.
I'm likely to write about my mom here as things happen and I'm just putting it here because writing it and having somewhere to put it helps me.
I'm not doing this for replies about it. I'm happy if you have something to say about it but just don't feel forced to follow social norms on it and autoreply.

I spent over a day with my mother this weekend. I just got back home and I'm destroyed.
She's not taking it well and I'm guessing she's going through the stages of grief. I don't know how much I can do for her.
I tried to talk to her but I couldn't get through at all. I think she's too hurt for it.

Cried a bit now and thankfully tomorrow is a holiday so I can try and pick up the pieces of myself and be OK for work Tuesday.

Pshh, since when has anyone her done something just to follow social norms? I mean other than wear pants...even then I'm half convinced that half of the posters here run about their daily lives pantsless.

The one bit of advice I have is make sure you talk with her whenever you can. It has been 14 years since my dad died and the one thing I regret more than anything is that I didn't talk with him more (then again I was a 16 year old at the time...so yeah that probably wasn't going to happen).

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19668 on: September 06, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
The one bit of advice I have is make sure you talk with her whenever you can. It has been 14 years since my dad died and the one thing I regret more than anything is that I didn't talk with him more (then again I was a 16 year old at the time...so yeah that probably wasn't going to happen).

This. Tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. Make the absolute most of the time you have.

Haps: Finally starting selling on eBay. I've sold on half.com before (including to a member here), but never did the auction thing. Should have done so sooner. It's amazing what you can make off the shit that's just been sitting around or stored away in your home. I've already made some pretty decent scratch in less than 2 weeks. I'm hoping SSB Melee will net me another $35-$50 this week.
My wife wants to do the Let Go thing as well, but that's a bit too Craigslist-y for me...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19669 on: September 06, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
I've thought about opening a seller account on Amazon for my old games. Would eBay be simpler?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19670 on: September 06, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »
I don't have any experience selling through Amazon, so I couldn't tell you if it's any easier. I can tell you eBay is real easy to get started on, once you get the initial Paypal crap out of the way. What I really like about eBay is the whole auction aspect. If enough people want your item, they will bid/compete for it (so long as you start an auction, of course). I ended up making $15 more than expected from selling an old graphics card, because 2 people kept trying to out-bid each other on the last day of auction. If you so desire, you can also do fixed-price selling there, too.
You would probably get more views/hits on Amazon in the end, but you would most likely sell quicker through eBay, and perhaps even get more than you expected for some of those games.

On this note, I used Amazon's trade-in program to get rid of some old games some years ago. ...Back when I assumed selling on eBay would be too difficult/complicated. It's something I deeply regret now. I got next to nothing for games like Fire Emblem: PoR; and Wind Waker (both original GCN versions). I could have made some real cash on those today... Live and learn (hopefully).

Also on this note: So @Rucks , how's that Skies of Arcadia play-through going? ;)

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19671 on: September 06, 2017, 07:06:01 PM »
Garden Log Special Edition:

Plumapalooza
(official rules)

1.  Identify a victim.  This can be a friend, neighbour, or random person on the street.  Avoid known owners of plum trees, uniformed officers, people who live in the same house with you, very small children*, or people you have already victimized in the last fifteen minutes.
2.  Approach victim casually.  Try to avoid making the plums easily visible, but you don't want to look like you're concealing a weapon, either.
3.  In a loud clear voice, yell "FOR THE GLORY OF THE PLUM GOD!  NO BACKSIES!"  Thrust the container of plums at your victim.
4.  Run.  Run fast.  Don't look back.  The "no-backsies" rule is fairly widespread, but may not be acknowledged in all jurisdictions.

*If they're too small to carry the plums, you should target their parents instead.

(With the exception of the yelling and the running away, this sequence has played out several times over the last couple weeks.  It's frightening how much a single plum tree can produce.)

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #19672 on: September 06, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
No word from my mom but the person that accompanied her to the hospital leaked the results to me.
She has 3-6 months. They don't want to do chemotherapy because it won't do anything for her.

My mom was already pretty crazy before the results... I don't know what I could have to deal with next time.
Her sister/my aunt is suggesting we do something to force her to move to a place that can help take care of her.
Plan for now is to wait till Saturday to see what she's like.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19673 on: September 07, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
I'm really sorry, Annubis  :(
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19674 on: September 07, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
Sending my best wishes. I'm outside of my depth on advice though. To the best of my knowledge, my mom chose to let it end because she was told that further treatment would extend her life but it with a decrease of quality of life (and never actually save her).

I don't know how to advise if your mom is in the stages of grief before acceptance. I guess just try and be there for her? Although, based on what you said earlier, that will probably be tough on you. Again sending best wishes.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19675 on: September 09, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
I rode in a charity cycling event today; autism education benefit ride in Yardley PA.  It was only 33 miles, but it was mostly rolling hills including a few climbs that I'm still feeling in my legs.  There were several "short but steep" climbs throughout, but the monster climb was Jericho Hill/Eagle Road, which is a good 1.5 miles.  I made it further up the hill than I did last year, and at a noticeably faster pace, but I still hit the wall and had to get off my bike and do the "walk of shame" up the last 200-300 feet or so.  I'll take it as a small victory that not only did I do better than last year, but I had a small bronchitis flare-up during Labor Day Weekend and am still hacking up goo... so considering I wasn't at 100%, I'm satisfied with my performance.  The distance wasn't an issue since I average 35-40 a week with my bicycle club, but this course was quite hilly and more challenging that what I normally do with my club, so it took more out of me than I expected. 

Still, I'm tired, but still grinning.  I am now more determined than ever to conquer Jericho Hill/Eagle Road next year.

Oh, and (as always), I met some cool people.  At the rest area, I met a dude who played in a punk band in 1978 (my birth year) and we started talking about The Ramones, The Clash, Iggy and The Stooges, The Sex Pistols, and all those other great 1970s punk bands.  And when I finished the right and sat down for lunch, I had a great talk with a European gentleman who used to be a pro cyclist back in the day; he was a domestique, which is pretty damn cool.  The domestique is the guy who nurses the ace/superstar throughout the race so the ace can attack near the finish line.  It was one of those pragmatically philosophical discussions that just reaffirmed my love for bicycles and cemented the fact that I made the right choice in choosing the cycling lifestyle.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:53:45 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19676 on: September 10, 2017, 12:47:13 AM »
There was smoke in the air today; it seems we're downwind of some forest fires.  The most obvious effect is orange-tinted sunlight.

Garden Log:  Ripped out the remains of the cucumber plants, dug the potatoes, got swarmed by ladybugs.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19677 on: September 10, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »
I was an archery instructor for the very first time, today. Turns out parties are a lot more fun if you're not one of the guests and can just focus on something you like and are sort of good at. It is tiring, though. You're basically explaining the same thing again and again. Some people get the hang of it really quickly and get a good score to boot, but for others it's not that easy and you kind of have to find that balance between good instructions and frustration prevention.

I did make one mistake. I assumed one of the boys was an adult. He was tall (even by Dutch standards!), had the muscle to go with that frame, and could easily use the heaviest bow we use for these kinds of things. He did really well too and came in third. I find out later that's he's like 15 or something and that makes him a junior. He would have ranked first by a large margin if he had competed against the other children. That said, I doubt the victory over 10 year-old girls and some boys who were still waiting for puberty to hit would have tasted very sweet. Still, I do feel bad about getting his age wrong.

Edit: speaking of getting ages wrong, I finally have a T-shirt to show I'm one of the archers of the guild, but for some reason all the adult sizes were way too big and now I'm wearing a size that's generally meant for children age 10-12. That's just... why? I get that modern Dutch kids are stupidly tall (and occassionally overweight), but come on, this just isn't right...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:26:25 PM by Tomara »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19678 on: September 10, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
So I am currently in the process of redecorating my living room. Well redecorate might be a little misleading...decluttering by adding more furniture? Eh whatever, point is, I have built two new bookshelves, two media shelves, and a new desk in the past couple of weeks (to go with my five bookshelves and five media shelves that were already there). Taking the opportunity to upgrade a bunch of other stuff at the same time. Hurray for new TV (which is wall mounted freeing up space for the new bookshelves). I might post pictures when I am done. No idea on when that will be though. Although I suppose my self set deadline (as I would drag my feet for months without one) is the end of the month. So hopefully before then...although the new Ys is coming out on Tuesday, so I have no idea on how that will impact my slow progress. >.>

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19679 on: September 10, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »
My wife and I went to a beerfest at our local zoo yesterday, which was pretty awesome and fun, especially getting to see the animals with no kids around.

The resulting hangover has not been fun.  Me at 30 can't drink like me at 21, evidently.